2018 - Manco Dingo suspension & a little extra

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeaterofAincrad

2018 Build-Off Contestant
Reaction score
Over the weekend I got the sprocket mount removed and new “low profile” bolts/nuts put on, I ended up not cutting the TAV because I’d have to cut away too much(I could have sworn I saw somebody do it just fine), and the throttle cable installed.

I had to cut like an 1/8” off the lock nuts on the sprocket so that they wouldn’t hit the TAV. And nowhere around me sold 420 half links so I took the hollow shaft out of a #41 half link and am using just the steel plates until I get some 420 half links in the mail. The front tires are still in progress, I picked up some JB weld the other night to try it but haven’t yet.

The engine starts second pull and still smells new, just to put into perspective of how little it was used. I’m not sure if it’s the predator, the throttle linkage, or the governor, but for some reason it takes a bit for the engine to get to full speed. It doesn’t bog down or anything, I can be petal to the metal and I’ll be 1/3 down our road and it’ll start picking up higher rpms and other times it’ll start picking up high rpms at 2/3.

I screwed up and put the chain tensioners on backwards(idk what I was thinking) and the gusset weld broke so I’m gonna have to reweld it at some point. And as I thought the shock angle is too hard so the suspension is a little stiff.

However it does ride much smoother than before. I’ll see if I can post the video later, I’ve still got some homework to do. Please excuse the shaky footage, my GoPro was dead. I also had to charge my phone so I took a short first ride.

BeaterofAincrad

Reaction score
I just uploaded the first ride video to YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AL64nCqMtx4&app=desktop
I haven’t been able to work on the kart much, I did however get the half links in the mail and install them along with 3 spare belts. The belts are cheap so they’re a little loose. I had a problem with the take off and it seems the new belts helped a little, I may have gotten some oil on the old one and so it wouldn’t catch on the clutch as well as it should have.

I was also having some trouble with it stalling while doing donuts or taking a sharp turn at high speeds but I’m pretty sure that it was a combination of G-force and the angle the engine sits at on the frame that it was setting off the low oil sensor because I unplugged it and it hadn’t happened since.

I ran into some problems with the front wheels so I ended up putting 15x6-6 tubes in them.

I don’t think I’m going to have time for the wheel wells because I’ve been busy with college and stuff. I’d like to at least put a larger air filter on it and straight pipe it. I mean I’ve already basically met my goal because I got the predator, shocks, better tires all round, and way more reliable brakes.

There will definitely be more upgrades in the future though.

Also my birthday was this past week and my parents finally got me a Makita impact gun and drill set. It’ll make things go a lot faster in the future.

I have yet to put the bump cage and TAV cover on, I’ve been procrastinating doing it.

Tpdingo

Reaction score
The kid is so cute, but he got a few years before he can ride. I love it, and I haven't watched past 0:45 yet!

EDIT: I watched it all. Rides good. You still owe me one off the cliff jump videos where the suspension gets a full travel kick. Check post #62.

BeaterofAincrad

Reaction score
Yeah, I’ve got vid of the jump, just haven’t posted it yet. I haven’t ridden or worked on the kart in a while because I’ve been busy. I’m thinking it’s not taking off or reaching top speed as fast because of the gear ratio. So I’m going to try to switch them out over my winter break. I’m not sure if I can use the old one because it’s sort of worn.

I’m gonna try my best to get it done before Halloween.

BeaterofAincrad

Reaction score
Sorry for the break in updates, I’ve been quite busy with early college and on the weekends I’ve gotten a job, etc., life…

Anyways, the reason it wouldn’t quite reach top speed was because the throttle limit screw wasn’t backed out. At the time I hadn’t seen(or forgot) the limit screw on the carb/engine, so I didn’t want to mess with it and screw up the carb adjustments. I backed it all the way out and did a speed test and I got 38mph.

I don’t think I posted this but I did the stage one mod and re-jetted the carb, installed a larger air filter, and made a new exhaust flange, straight pipe and exhaust attachment. I did a speed test with both and got 35mph with the exhaust and 38mph with the straight pipe.

Unfortunately, my father was backing in his ~20-25ft dump trailer at night and broke the straight pipe and as for the exhaust I was riding and it broke at the factory weld.

I haven’t ridden the Gokart too much the past few weeks because I have to put some spacers under the engine block, I wanted to reweld the sprocket guard, and I’ve got to tack weld the exhaust and straight pipe and bring it into my Manufacturing class and weld it there because my welder draws-in too much around the weld.

There’s always something to do…

Status
Not open for further replies.