2018 - Manco Dingo suspension & a little extra

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kansaskart

Reaction score
All depends on $ and time. If you aren't going to miss $40 get a new one! Sure makes getting components off and on much nicer. I admit I've been known to use some nasty ones before. Yeah I just tiller our garden, got around 40 tomato plants. I was going to water them afterwards but just walking by them I sweated on them enough I don't have to now. It's crippling. Going thru the headbands. I don't like wet jeans so stick to shorts. It's 830 here and still 90.

BeaterofAincrad

2018 Build-Off Contestant
Reaction score
Due to some incompetent welder issues, I didn’t get what I wanted to weld yesterday done but I am in the process of doing them today. I had to preheat it and I’ve only got one of those burnz-O-matic torches.

Over the past few days I pulled the front wheels, steering push rods(and quick painted them), pulled the rear axle assembly, cleaned some areas for welding, welded part of a support for the rear portion of the suspension, welded two of the four hinge pieces, and I had my father cut the frame with his sawzall cuz I knew he could cut straighter than I could. So now I don’t have to worry about getting the hinges to line up in that axis. My father also tried welding the back of the seat on and it is definitely a lot more solid than when I welded it(I had the feed too high).

Sorry the pictures were taken at like 12:00 last night, I’ll post some more once I’m done welding the other two hinges and some other things.

As far as I know the axle is still round there, the keyway is a bit widened though, I’ll post a picture of the key that was in it and a close up of the keyway. I’m thinking if I’m doing this much, I mind as well go a little bit further and get a new axle. I’m not certain yet though.

Tpdingo

Reaction score
Put everything back now and go for a spin, now with joints :roflol:.

Looks beautiful, now awaits springs, independent rear suspension, limited slip torsen diff, turbo EFI, and a full ECU.

BeaterofAincrad

Reaction score
Welp my welder hates me, yet again the weld seemed solid, gave it some good smacks with a hammer, didn’t budge. Later when the other welds were completed and I was working the joints in, it snaps. If these still don’t hold once I’m done with some other things, I’m thinking I’ll have to A. See if my neighbor can weld it, he has a stick welder. or B. Bring it somewhere and pay for it.

Anyways I got the rest of the support bar welded and the other 3(now 2) hinge pieces welded. Again sorry for the pictures at night.

The black piece on the support bar is the main strength but since it’s only like 1/16” thick square tube, I added a piece of the 1”x.125” flat steel(?) to the underside so that if I hit a log or something it wouldn’t collapse.

And yes the welds aren’t the prettiest but I’m still learning and trying to figure stuff out. The beads are definitely nicer than before, but still not as smooth as I’d like.

I may not be in for part of tomorrow and Saturday & Sunday so no updates unfortunately.

ezcome-ezgo

G'me sumthin to write on
Reaction score
I would recommend either spending a day practicing on scrap, or taking this somewhere where a welder with some penetration power could be employed. You are not getting into the metal, these welds will not hold up. Sorry.

BeaterofAincrad

Reaction score
You are not getting into the metal, these welds will not hold up. Sorry.

Thanks, I had a feeling it didn’t quite penetrate as well as it should have. Could I use it for the 1/16” thick walled square tube that will be used for the shock brace/support, the fender frames, and possibly the backup tank mount/cargo shelf(if I have materials and time)?

EDIT:
I wasn’t quite sure exactly what welder I had so I looked it up(I’m not home) and I found what I’m pretty sure is one of the reasons for it not penetrating. And it’s quite stupid that my father and I over looked it, we have a ~100’(2 50’) extension cord going out to our garage.

BeaterofAincrad

Reaction score
Sorry about the lack of updates, I haven’t really gotten to work on it this past week because I’ve been working for my father and I’ve been quite burned out when I get home.

Today I got $50 for replacing a blade pulley on a ride on and removing 20-30 rocks from a lawn for that older guy I was talking about. Some time later this week I’m gonna go over and do some more, he likes his lawn mowed on 1 and it isn’t really suited for 1.

Tomorrow I’m going to install a carb on a push mower so I can sell it. Then I’m gonna work on the Gokart. I also intend to order some parts and look for an axle that will get here sooner than later.

The sprocket came in today and I got a “dry fit” of the mount and everything. It fits snug. I’m thinking I’ll put the old mount on there without a key for a little extra support.

BeaterofAincrad

Reaction score
I didn’t quite get to work on the kart today but I believe I solved the welder problem.

Now I’m running a 25’ heavy extension cord from an outlet in the basement(less than a foot from the breaker box) and I’m welding right outside our basement in the grass(it’s green). I didn’t get to do that much testing but it definitely seems like the weld not only penetrated a lot better than before but also had less than a quarter the amount of spatter from before as well.

I didn’t do that much prep work beforehand either and the weld was only cleaned quickly with a wire brush.

BeaterofAincrad

Reaction score
I didn’t hv my hammer within reasonable distance(I was to lazy to walk 100’) and it was getting dark out but I did put the small portion in the vice and give it a good pull and ended up bending the larger bar. I also hit it a few times on the end of the vice(don’t judge me, I intend to take care of it). I’ll put it to the hammer test later, I gotta go to work.

bighead

Reaction score
Try cleaning or prepping your medal better. Grind it down to bare shin metal before you weld. A dirty weld is bad. Wire wheel is not good enough in many cases.

BeaterofAincrad

Reaction score
Try cleaning or prepping your medal better. Grind it down to bare shin metal before you weld. A dirty weld is bad. Wire wheel is not good enough in many cases.

Thanks, I was in a hurry last night and figured it was clean enough to at least prove that the shorter extension cord would fix my problem. As for the wire brush, I was saying after I welded it I cleaned some of the spatter and stuff off with it.

Joe-405

Enjoying New Projects
Reaction score
Try more heat and bigger circle pattern motions for the welds. It should help.

tgus3

a member
Reaction score
Sorry about the lack of updates, I haven’t really gotten to work on it this past week because I’ve been working for my father and I’ve been quite burned out when I get home.

Today I got $50 for replacing a blade pulley on a ride on and removing 20-30 rocks from a lawn for that older guy I was talking about. Some time later this week I’m gonna go over and do some more, he likes his lawn mowed on 1 and it isn’t really suited for 1.

Tomorrow I’m going to install a carb on a push mower so I can sell it. Then I’m gonna work on the Gokart. I also intend to order some parts and look for an axle that will get here sooner than later.

The sprocket came in today and I got a “dry fit” of the mount and everything. It fits snug. I’m thinking I’ll put the old mount on there without a key for a little extra support.
Ive been looking for a sprocket like that (6 holes)
where did you get it?its #41 chain right?

BeaterofAincrad

Reaction score
tgus3, yeah it’s #41/420 it’s a 60tooth but they also have a 54tooth. I got it on amazon, it took me awhile to find it too because it doesn’t have any specific size in the name. It’s called “Manco sprocket 9338” https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0068QIK52?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_pd_title

---------- Post added at 04:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:59 PM ----------

Joe-405, thanks I’ll try that.

BeaterofAincrad

Reaction score
Yesterday it started raining like 5 minutes after I got out there so I couldn’t weld.

And today it rained from like 6am- 4pm and after that it was on/off sprinkling. I did however manage to cleanup and almost finish welding one of the four hinge pieces. I didn’t preheat it because I didn’t want to use all of my fathers gas in his torch if I didn’t necessarily need it. It definitely penetrated a lot better but could probably use a little preheating, I’m not sure.

I also ordered the pillow bearings, air filter, and axle, I just heard a cha-ching then the toilet flush… Ugh, well I just have to think on the bright side, I won’t have such bad headaches and a sore tail bone after riding. Those will get here I believe the last week of July.

Joe-405

Enjoying New Projects
Reaction score
That’s better. Looks like you might need to slow down a little bit On your hand motions.

Status
Not open for further replies.