2016 - Joe-405 "Mini Me Racer"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe-405

Enjoying New Projects
Reaction score
Yeah I saw it. Thanks.

Guess it's down for the count for awhile...................

Installed flywheel
Went for a test ride
AND Kaboom.......................

Unloaded rear tire, hit bars hard, blew the belt up, and broke the compression release on the camshaft all in one shot !!!! Guess it wasn't at full power the whole time.

So I gotta get a handheld starter , fix camshaft , and get a new drive system , and balance the rotating assembly while I'm there but it was fun while it lasted

Time sheet from the pass for those wondering.....................

And fyi the tav setup is for sale now !
P.S. might need new belt. Hahaha

Attachments

• IMG_20160917_245628887.jpg
    IMG_20160917_245628887.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 34
  • FB_IMG_1473993978326.jpg
    FB_IMG_1473993978326.jpg
    267.8 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20160917_132710793.jpg
    IMG_20160917_132710793.jpg
    394.5 KB · Views: 18

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
Bob Gab will be needing this for his 420!

For under two bills maybe?
I should have room for a standard jack shaft.

I need space for gears to run alternators and superchargers and stuff.

I may want this if I build a homemade 420cc dirt bike / pit bike.

Can a 420cc bike be called a pit bike?

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
Can a 420cc bike be called a pit bike?

Yes, It will land you in a pit at Forrest Lawn Cemetery! :oops::smiley_omg::roflol:

Denny

A scraped knee and guessing a bruised rib leaves me wanting more suspension. I only have 1 420cc for now!

Didn't mean to HJ.

Joe-405

Enjoying New Projects
Reaction score
No problem. More views anyways. Hahaha.

I'm turning the crank down. So $300 shipped on the tav setup. And that pays for my 3d manual. Should have done that in the first place !

Joe-405

Enjoying New Projects
Reaction score
Lucky for me I keep some stuff lately. Transformation has begun. And 3d is making it with stronger internals for more power. So we shall be great now !

Manual clutch
Balance rotating assembly
Handheld jr. Starter
And maybe some headwork

And for me to learn how to ride it all over again. And we shall be faster than before.

Attachments

• IMG_20160918_135222062_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20160918_135222062_HDR.jpg
    332.5 KB · Views: 11

Joe-405

Enjoying New Projects
Reaction score
And track pics are up from a professional photographer................

2.26............60'
10.40..........1/8
59mph........1/8 was there at this mph at 400' ! Needed alot more timing so rpms flatlined here exactly every pass.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1474415246021.jpg
    FB_IMG_1474415246021.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 29
  • FB_IMG_1474415239906.jpg
    FB_IMG_1474415239906.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 20
  • FB_IMG_1474415232017.jpg
    FB_IMG_1474415232017.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 16
  • FB_IMG_1474415195372.jpg
    FB_IMG_1474415195372.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 13
  • FB_IMG_1474415181660.jpg
    FB_IMG_1474415181660.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 27

Joe-405

Enjoying New Projects
Reaction score
Just in case I don't get it back together by the end of the year is it qualified ?

Even tho I don't have true video showing the cutoff switch and brakes working correctly ? I mean I couldn't have ran it at the track without. But I need to ask to be safe. Nothing is going right and its gonna be awhile before its fixed. And I'm changing jobs. As this whole commission thing at a lawnmower shop going on winter is gonna be really bad. So I need a hourly thing instead.

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
Well Joe It looks to me like this years rules are a little different, than previous years. Seems like your good to me.
Rule 6:
6) Must be "complete" by deadline date. For our purposes, "complete" means- Starts, runs and drives under its own power. Remote throttle must be installed and operable without operator touching engine. Remote kill switch must be installed and operable without operator touching engine. Braking system must be installed and functional. Steering system must be installed and functional. The purpose of this rule is not only to define completeness for the contest, but to help ensure safety.
Also at the bottom there are some stars * here is one:

" * Upon completion, builder must post photos of completed build. A video segment is NOT mandatory, but is encouraged. Builder should post as many details of build as possible, including parts sources/origin, costs, design elements and difficulties, specifications, gear ratios, etc. Voters may post questions for the builders during building and voting periods to assist in assessing the builds.
Notice it says " A video segment is NOT mandatory"

This is different than last year where DW Copple was asked for a second video to prove his "kill Switch"

Seems like you are good. But I still hope Everything works out for you, and that you sell your parts and are able to continue to upgrade this finished project.

My 2 cents:huh:

Joe-405

Enjoying New Projects
Reaction score
Well it's for sale. Engine is screwed so I'm done. Might keep the engine stuff to fix it later. But it's not happening anytime soon.

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
Ohh Nooo.

What happened?
More than just the Camshaft Releif?
You removed the counterweight or no? Sorry I forgot. I assume you did and that's why you wanted to balance it?

Sorry for all the questions at the funeral.
The 4.45 rod with stock piston left you at 0.020" Popout and is why you had to sand it?

Just happened to post this on the day I was defending this engine, making a $600 parts list, and also considering trying to sell and buy a VC 460cc.

Please share.

Joe-405

Enjoying New Projects
Reaction score
Ohh Nooo.

What happened?
More than just the Camshaft Releif?
You removed the counterweight or no? Sorry I forgot. I assume you did and that's why you wanted to balance it?

Sorry for all the questions at the funeral.
The 4.45 rod with stock piston left you at 0.020" Popout and is why you had to sand it?

Just happened to post this on the day I was defending this engine, making a $600 parts list, and also considering trying to sell and buy a VC 460cc.

Please share.

At this point the piston is scratched badly
The driver is completely locked up
Needs new rod bearings
Powdercoat is still messed up
Fuel pump is causing the carb to blow past the needle
Found a bent rocker arm stud
And I still don't have and or find that custom one off coil bracket for the raceseng flywheel
And it needs balanced which might have caused all of this and I just didn't realize it ! Vibrations were noticeable but it wasn't bad. And i guess I didn't get all the shavings from clearancing the block for the cam out I'm guessing. But I dunked it in a hot tank so it should have gotten all of it.

Roller is sold so I'm either gonna build me a bigger chassis or buy the bullfrog one. But I would like to go ahead and get the engine back together while I'm figuring that out. Hopefully I can regroup and figure it out. I am 6' and this chassis feels really small. So I need the longer 60" wheelbase to be cozy. I was gonna do this anyways if you guys remember. I just don't know if I can afford the new $850 chassis bare or not by the end of the year. And still get the engine back together.

---------- Post added at 07:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:34 PM ----------

Yes the piston was sanded down to below deck heighth. It was fine wasn't hitting.

And the camshaft compression release is still intact so I don't know why its really hard to start and yanks the rope out of my hand. It started fine first time then it was over after that. Could have been the stuck driver also.

Status
Not open for further replies.