2015 - DesertDuler

Status
Not open for further replies.

Desertduler

Reaction score
Nice test drive. She sounds sweet! It is weird seeing no houses with fences or walls around them though
Thank you! It is so very different depending on where we live in this world, I think one gets used to their surroundings and things can look and or be strange to them in another place, it would be weird to me to see walls around houses and I think I would get claustrophobic if I lived behind a wall. :lolgoku:

landuse

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you! It is so very different depending on where we live in this world, I think one gets used to their surroundings and things can look and or be strange to them in another place, it would be weird to me to see walls around houses and I think I would get claustrophobic if I lived behind a wall. :lolgoku:

Yup, i agree with that. Here is a typical look at streets round here. This is a cul de sac near to my house. Lots of fences, hedges and walls. Some places have razorwire or electric fences on top of their walls too

Attachments

• 2015-07-23 12-22-27 PM.jpg
    2015-07-23 12-22-27 PM.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 22

Desertduler

Reaction score
Now I get to tear this thing back all apart and finish up detailing a few things and capping the open ends of the end sections of tubing and building a front skid pan out of aluminium and of course paint it all and put it all back together, then I will post a completed video of the kart,the kart turns really well with the 15 degree king pin inclination and of course with the frame angle pointed down I lose some of that angle and the steering wheel effort is pretty easy.I also like the lower gear ratio for this kart for my wife because she does not need the top end that I do on my kart and the clutch engages easily at low RPM's with ease,I broke the rear tires lose taking off with a hard throttle input on the asphalt and that will be something that she will have watch out for most certainly on the dirt.

Desertduler

Reaction score
Yup, i agree with that. Here is a typical look at streets round here. This is a cul de sac near to my house. Lots of fences, hedges and walls. Some places have razorwire or electric fences on top of their walls too
Wow! do you sleep with one eye open?

landuse

Staff member
Reaction score
Wow! do you sleep with one eye open?

LOL. No, it isn't that bad. People are security concious, but i don't feel like i have to sleep with one eye open. Yes, bad things can happen, maybe more here than in the US, but it is not worth living in fear. It is also not as bad as people overseas might think it is. South Africa is still a great place to live in. The standard of living is excellent and we have a beautiful country.

I know i have posted this before, but here is what i see on the way to work :D

Desertduler

Reaction score
Oh, now I get why one might want a wall around their yard in your location! I don't think that I would like a lion wandering around my yard or a elephant crashing a outdoor barbecue or a hippo swimming in my grand daughters wading pool!
:lolgoku:

landuse

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh, now I get why one might want a wall around their yard in your location! I don't think that I would like a lion wandering around my yard or a elephant crashing a outdoor barbecue or a hippo swimming in my grand daughters wading pool!
:lolgoku:

LOL. Just kidding with you. I pulled those off the web. The only times you see those animals in in a Game Reserve

JMINDY

Reaction score
Nice, it's looking good!
Are you powder coating or painting? Figured you powder since you like to make dust clouds in the salt... Running on lake bed create any additional problems or maintenance, like clutch, carb etc.?

That :censored: gets everywhere & so corrosive... went to Bonneville in 07', one of the first question from the car rental was "Are you going to the salt flats".... um...nooo? Then spend about $30 dollars at the car wash trying to get it clean...:cheers2:

Saw they canceled Speed week again, that's a shame...

Desertduler

Reaction score
Nice, it's looking good!
Are you powder coating or painting? Figured you powder since you like to make dust clouds in the salt... Running on lake bed create any additional problems or maintenance, like clutch, carb etc.?

That :censored: gets everywhere & so corrosive... went to Bonneville in 07', one of the first question from the car rental was "Are you going to the salt flats".... um...nooo? Then spend about $30 dollars at the car wash trying to get it clean...:cheers2:

Saw they canceled Speed week again, that's a shame...
Thank you, I am still up in the air about powder coating it or not, my kart has held up really well with just a spray bomb paint job and it has spent a whole lot of time out on the lakebed that we race on,the lake bed where I go has no where near the salt content that the salt flats has and I would not even think about taking my karts there because of the corrosion and electrolysis that occur from that place,the thing that has had me concerned about powder coating is that goes on pretty thick and all of the reamed holes for instance for the king pins would have to be reamed of paint in order to get the king pins back through them again and I worry about the paint chipping around that area and the engine mounting area, if I was to do that and then I would also have to remove any powder coating paint where the axle bearings mount up to the frame because if I were to mount the axle bearings on top of the powder coating the coating might crack and deteriorate under the bearing mount and then the rear axle bearings would come lose,they need to mount up metal to metal I would have to take the frame down to bare metal in that location and I would not be too happy if I messed up,funny thing about out around the salt flat area is I have raced desert motorcycles on and off for a good amount of time and years ago there was a desert race out around the vicinity of the salt flats in the mountain areas there and there were some sections that you had to cross that were part of the old lake bed that a bunch of bikes got stuck in and they could not be retrieved right away for a few days and by the time they got all the stuck bikes out of the lake bed mud any magnesium parts on those bikes were destroyed and they would crumble to the touch! Horrible! so never take anything that you care about out there! The salt flats are flooded and yes they had to cancel speed week for the second year,bummer! I almost forgot,I strive my best to keep dirt out of my engines and that is why I use foam air filters with foam air filter oil and I make sure that the carburetors that I use are sealed as not to let in any dirt,dust,sand,water,etc. I learned many years ago how fast a engine can be destroyed by dirt entry and you learn little tricks and such over the years to keep your engine alive when desert racing machines of different types,I do service the clutch after every outing and sometimes that can be both days on a weekend.

JMINDY

Reaction score
Interesting... I just assumed all the lake beds (salt wise) were the same out there...

I understand about the getting the parts to still fit after powder coating, I've gone through that with some suspensions... but I think if it is in your budget, it is well worth the hassle. I'd like to powder coat mine (at least just the bottom frame and roll bars) but probably not in the budget. Although, a place here near Indy is not expensive... had a set of Cragar wire rims coated for just $140!!! & they sandblasted them first...

Going to start to cut back on my project, thinking of getting my son Jake into sprint kart racing next year (Junior Yamaha KT100 class).

Keep up the great work!!!

Desertduler

Reaction score
Interesting... I just assumed all the lake beds (salt wise) were the same out there...

I understand about the getting the parts to still fit after powder coating, I've gone through that with some suspensions... but I think if it is in your budget, it is well worth the hassle. I'd like to powder coat mine (at least just the bottom frame and roll bars) but probably not in the budget. Although, a place here near Indy is not expensive... had a set of Cragar wire rims coated for just $140!!! & they sandblasted them first...

Going to start to cut back on my project, thinking of getting my son Jake into sprint kart racing next year (Junior Yamaha KT100 class).

Keep up the great work!!!
As lake Bonneville dried up the minerals from the lake condensed at the lowest elevation which is where the Great Salt Lake and the Bonneville salt flats are today, there are many dry lake beds in our deserts around here that are remnants of lake Bonneville which was a huge fresh water lake that most of drained out from a natural dam break at Red Rock Pass which is in Idaho and from there out in the Pacific Ocean about 17,000 years ago.
Your boy ought to love racing a mini sprint car and I am sure dad will have fun letting his son have a chance at doing it!:thumbsup:

Desertduler

Reaction score
I will be rounding up some aluminum for the floor pan/skid plate in the next little while and I will post pictures of it mounted up.The kart turns very well and with a little throttle blip I can flick the rear end around on the asphalt,we will see in time how she will do on the lake bed and ring the engine out,right now I have the 30mm Mikuni on the engine and I have a 32mm Mikuni for this engine also,this engine is 40 years old,but in mint condition.

slidewayz

Reaction score
DD, wow this thing is soooo clean, and the sound is just the best. So glad to have seen this being built.

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
Thank you, I am still up in the air about powder coating it or not, my kart has held up really well with just a spray bomb paint job and it has spent a whole lot of time out on the lakebed that we race on,the lake bed where I go has no where near the salt content that the salt flats has and I would not even think about taking my karts there because of the corrosion and electrolysis that occur from that place,the thing that has had me concerned about powder coating is that goes on pretty thick and all of the reamed holes for instance for the king pins would have to be reamed of paint in order to get the king pins back through them again and I worry about the paint chipping around that area and the engine mounting area, if I was to do that and then I would also have to remove any powder coating paint where the axle bearings mount up to the frame because if I were to mount the axle bearings on top of the powder coating the coating might crack and deteriorate under the bearing mount and then the rear axle bearings would come lose,they need to mount up metal to metal I would have to take the frame down to bare metal in that location and I would not be too happy if I messed up,funny thing about out around the salt flat area is I have raced desert motorcycles on and off for a good amount of time and years ago there was a desert race out around the vicinity of the salt flats in the mountain areas there and there were some sections that you had to cross that were part of the old lake bed that a bunch of bikes got stuck in and they could not be retrieved right away for a few days and by the time they got all the stuck bikes out of the lake bed mud any magnesium parts on those bikes were destroyed and they would crumble to the touch! Horrible! so never take anything that you care about out there! The salt flats are flooded and yes they had to cancel speed week for the second year,bummer! I almost forgot,I strive my best to keep dirt out of my engines and that is why I use foam air filters with foam air filter oil and I make sure that the carburetors that I use are sealed as not to let in any dirt,dust,sand,water,etc. I learned many years ago how fast a engine can be destroyed by dirt entry and you learn little tricks and such over the years to keep your engine alive when desert racing machines of different types,I do service the clutch after every outing and sometimes that can be both days on a weekend.

And.........People give me a hard time for all the extra punctuation I use!!!!

But....you can never lose your place the way I post....can you?

You need a straight edge to read the above...

Desertduler

Reaction score
Sorry Poboy,I will try to keep my post's shorter.
Now my wife wants a different color it is her kart so I will paint it to her liking,I think it will look cool though we will see in time.

Status
Not open for further replies.