2013 - AusEx (AmEx Replica)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OzFab

Reaction score
This is pretty awesome! It's like watching 70% of my go-karts being manufactured...(I got a lot of Manco frames)

...about 5 IIRC :D

What part in particular? :roflol:

I should have taken pictures of the boy drilling out his minibike brake rotor bolt hole circle on the mill w/rotary table. I was too busy making sure he kept all his fingers LOL

Yes, you should've :toetap05: Never mind fingers, he's got plenty more...

The trick is to have tha camera ready before you start (maybe I should follow my own advice :lolgoku: )

Well, I got lots done today; I tacked the front bumper to the axle

Attachments

• IMAG0031.jpg
    IMAG0031.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 115

OzFab

Reaction score
...but seriously folks, I did a bit more than that...

About a week ago, my compressor stopped stopping... er, it would no longer cut out once pressurised. A quick call to the place I bought it revealed it had blown head gaskets which arrived in the mail a few days later. So, today was all about changing them & getting the compressor running properly.

After I'd done that, I started out making the extensions for the frame; now where will I find a piece of tube/pipe/round bar with an OD of 22mm? Answer: NOWHERE! Guess I'll have to make something...

As I had some excess 25mm tube, I decided to use that, slice it down the seam repeatedly until it fit inside another piece of tube then shrink that down to fit inside the frame tube.

After slicing & squeezing for an hour, I had my two extensions with internal plugs ready to weld into place. A few measurements &... wait, I don't need them, the frame is long enough without them.

I suppose it wasn't a complete waste of time; now I have a pair of 1" joining plugs if I should ever need them...

Attachments

• IMAG0033.jpg
    IMAG0033.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 56

OzFab

Reaction score
well, I sort of did: When I first started designing the frame, I took all of the usual body measurements & the measurements of the original frame & found a workable medium. So, once I had the seat frame in position, I sat in the frame & set a "comfortable position". Turns out that the driver isn't meant to be in a comfortable position :lolgoku:

OzFab

Reaction score
Showing off your lathe. What's IIRC?

Hey, why not? I've been wanting one for years, more so over the last year. Now I have one, why wouldn't I show it off :D

If I Recall Correctly...
Fab- It's a go kart. Not meant to be comfortable. You're SUPPOSED to look like a maniacal little Shriner with your knees in the air and a "cat-that-ate-the-canary" grin on your puss!

:lolgoku: Fair point...

Orange Krate

Reaction score
J/K I would too! I need a lathe but I needed a mill worse when I bought it. I got no room for both. But I can do some pretty impressive turning with the rotary table and and endmill. I've even made o-ring and snap ring grooves with a wooduff key cutter as well as internal tapers with a dovetail cutter.

I don't use it as much as I could. It's hard to run a machine tool all night and then come home and run one all day....

:backtotopic:

rwd4evr

Reaction score
lookin good. my orange krate is 5:1 ratio(12t clutch 60 sproket) with an eleven inch tire. my only frame change to suggest is a narrow steering hoop. if you expect anyone small to ride it short legs dont clear the wide hoop easily.

OzFab

Reaction score
J/K I would too! I need a lathe but I needed a mill worse when I bought it. I got no room for both. But I can do some pretty impressive turning with the rotary table and and endmill. I've even made o-ring and snap ring grooves with a wooduff key cutter as well as internal tapers with a dovetail cutter.

I don't use it as much as I could. It's hard to run a machine tool all night and then come home and run one all day....

:backtotopic:

There are some bench lathes that have milling attachments; that's the next thing I'll be looking into.

I've learned some pretty neat tricks over the years too; it's amazing how you can improvise when you have to

lookin good. my orange krate is 5:1 ratio(12t clutch 60 sproket) with an eleven inch tire. my only frame change to suggest is a narrow steering hoop. if you expect anyone small to ride it short legs dont clear the wide hoop easily.

Thanks. Gimme 2 days on that thought...

OzFab

Reaction score
Well, I got quite a bit done over the last few days, including spending 20 minutes typing this out, only to hit the wrong button & lose it all :censored: :mad2:

First up was setting the steering column in position. Using a piece of 30x5mm flat bar, I made a tab to hold the bottoom end of the column to the front of the frame & set the angle of the column. It was at this point that I realised just how short the column was so, I set about extending it.

I found a piece of round bar that fit snugly inside the column & a piece of pipe that would work as an extention once I turned it down a bit.

Then to fit the steering wheel boss to the extension. size was almost perfect but, the boss is supposed to have a thread in one side... note: supposed to... I decided to tap what was left of the M6 thread out to M8 & use a button head allen key bolt to fasten it so, off to Express Industrial Supplies for... well, supplies. I also bought a bunch of M6 nuts, bolts & washers for the sproket & brake disc hangers (I'm gonna need 'em eventually, right), 3 for the steering wheel & two M8 x 60mm bolts for the steering column upper support (I'm getting to that...)

Back home I cut & drilled two 100mm lengths of 25 x 5mm flat bar to fit the $7 sprint kart column support I previouosly picked up at the local go kart store. Then I took the two pre bent lengths of tube, cut them to length & crushed the ends to fit the flat bar. Then I had to carefully "adjust" the top, crushed section so it was square with the bottom section. Then I cut the bottom section to length & bird mouthed the ends... on the wrong angle :ack2: what a mess! Thankfully, it all worked out in the end...

Attachments

• IMAG0042.jpg
    IMAG0042.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 36
  • IMAG0045.jpg
    IMAG0045.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 26
  • IMAG0044.jpg
    IMAG0044.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 26
  • IMAG0034.jpg
    IMAG0034.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 25
  • IMAG0038.jpg
    IMAG0038.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 27
  • IMAG0041.jpg
    IMAG0041.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 38
  • IMAG0037.jpg
    IMAG0037.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 30
  • IMAG0035.jpg
    IMAG0035.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 34
  • IMAG0040.jpg
    IMAG0040.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 30
  • IMAG0039.jpg
    IMAG0039.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 29

OzFab

Reaction score
More pics...

Attachments

• IMAG0043.jpg
    IMAG0043.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 111
  • IMAG0047.jpg
    IMAG0047.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 101
  • IMAG0048.jpg
    IMAG0048.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 109
  • IMAG0049.jpg
    IMAG0049.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 156
  • IMAG0050.jpg
    IMAG0050.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 120
  • IMAG0051.jpg
    IMAG0051.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 138

OzFab

Reaction score
Nah, not quite, this is the easy part, I still have a lot of details to sort out...

Although, if you recall, I still have at least two other ongoing builds to complete...

OzFab

Reaction score
Man you work fast.

No, not fast, just a lot; I have lots of spare time but, lately, nothing else is geting done around here...

The frame looks real professional. Good job.

Maybe from a distance but, close up, it has a few flaws ATM...

You should finish soon enough to get all the bugs out of it before the deadline

That's what I'm hoping but, I didn't design any bugs :lolgoku:

Status
Not open for further replies.