$150.00 Pawn Shop find

Status
Not open for further replies.

bshinn

Reaction score
About six months ago, those things were appearing everywhere but, I haven't seen one in a while. Best suggestion would be to keep an eye on craigslist & ebay.

As they were never available over here, I plan to make one next year

I would like to know if they were made out of 4130....but I doubt it. I LUSTED after that Kart in the early 70's as a 7-8yo kid looking at the Sears Christmas Catalog.........

bshinn

Reaction score
Ain't taking that bet.

Wonder how much demand there would be for a high quality reproduction out of 1 1/8" DOM 4130 there would be?

Toss a KT100 on the back & let the games begin! Know I'm dreaming but WTH!

jandj

Reaction score
A roll bar on the other hand is definitely a good idea.

On a yard kart a single roll bar is not a good idea. You go over with a single bar and it can catch or dig in and cause more damage to you than if you had no bar at all. Eiither belted in a full cage or no bars is my humble opinion.

fowler

Reaction score
On a yard kart a single roll bar is not a good idea. You go over with a single bar and it can catch or dig in and cause more damage to you than if you had no bar at all. Eiither belted in a full cage or no bars is my humble opinion.

not really

id rather break my arm 3 times that break my neck

if the bar is the first thing to hit the deck and dig in then u are likely to get messed up

if with no bar then its your face thats digging into the dirt

u aint going to get away from a crash totally unskathed

iv rolled a few quads being stupid
one had a roll bar fited and it saved my *** from a total roll over it just fell on its side and slid even though i was traveling at speed

i do agree on the belts though
ful cage belts and wrist restraints or nets

or no belts and a bar or no bar

jandj

Reaction score
Here's my thought process- Most yard kart tipovers come as a result of the *** end getting too far around and the edge of the tire catching. For a bar to be any theoretical good it has to extend over the drivers head. If it digs in it's going to launch you higher than if you didn't have one. No bar and you come off the side.A bar and you get dumped from a greater height. I agree you get dinged in any crash. As for your neck, collars are cheap. There's a reason racers wear them. There'a also a reason they don't have roll bars (Champ Karts being the only exception, but you need the cage to mount the wing). Again, just my personal opinion.

bshinn

Reaction score
Few more pix, almost ready for the last teardown & final assembly.

Attachments

• DSCN1224.jpg
    DSCN1224.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 21
  • DSCN1225.jpg
    DSCN1225.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 22
  • DSCN1227.jpg
    DSCN1227.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 20
  • DSCN1228.jpg
    DSCN1228.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 21

exenos

Project Nut
Reaction score
Here's my thought process- Most yard kart tipovers come as a result of the *** end getting too far around and the edge of the tire catching. For a bar to be any theoretical good it has to extend over the drivers head. If it digs in it's going to launch you higher than if you didn't have one. No bar and you come off the side.A bar and you get dumped from a greater height. I agree you get dinged in any crash. As for your neck, collars are cheap. There's a reason racers wear them. There'a also a reason they don't have roll bars (Champ Karts being the only exception, but you need the cage to mount the wing). Again, just my personal opinion.

How the heck can a roll bar launch you? Even if you flip straight forward, its just going to be pivot for the kart and force it to continue its roll back onto its wheels instead of flopping on top of you.

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
I guess I will throw my two cents into the bar/cage/nothing debate.

First- The general rule of thumb is bars AND restraints, or nothing at all. As a broad-sweep term, I think we can all agree. More on that later.

Now- IF you are looking at a basic yard kart with no bars, no cage, and no restraints, you're probably best leaving it that way... Why?

Because if you're going to equip that kart with a roll hoop or a cage, you'd better be dang sure you know what you're doing. Bars can give a false sense of security. If they are constructed of inferior materials or of poor construction, you now have two problems- 1)Those restraints are going to ENSURE that the whole heap lands on you, and 2)Those cheezy bars are going to hurt you even more when they deflect or break (and the kart is on top of you).

A good cage is better than a good hoop, but a good hoop is better than nothing. Let us not forget that a good hoop will keep you from crushing your skull or breaking your neck, whereas no protection at all is a total crapshoot where you HOPE you are thrown completely clear. No guarantees.

I have spent a LOT of time cruising YouTube, looking at "Go Gart Jumps", "Go Kart Crashes" and the like, and I would advise you all to do the same. It's an eye-opener. You WILL see cases where an open kart with no restraints STILL lands on the driver. You WILL also see guys get hurt with cages...WHY?

Because it is a natural reaction when going over to reach out and try and stop it. This is instinct, and a bad instinct at that. If you are going over, you have MAYBE a 1% chance of stopping the roll, and a 99% chance you're going to get very hurt when the attempt doesn't work. The first line of defence is to mentally train yourself to grab the steering wheel with both hands, and keep them there. This does not come naturally, and can take a lot of work to sink in.

The ultimate answer to this issue is limb restraints. Some racers use straps that limit how far your hands and legs can go, so that no matter what, you cannot reach an arm or leg outside the vehicle. With a full cage, netting is a good solution, too.

You really have to weigh out the situation, too. If you've got a 25-30MPH yard kart and you're just goofing off in your backyard, you're likely okay to stay open and unstrapped. On the other hand, If you've got high horsepower, or some decent suspension travel, or mildly insane... Yeah- you'd better be caged like a bird and strapped up Hannibal-Lechter-style!

Now- Getting back to the belt/no belt debate-

I would never advise ANYONE to run a cage with no belt/harness. If that puppy goes over, you're gonna have a real bad day. Getting caught up in the bars as you roll is going to do a LOT more damage than not. Similarly, it is a horrible idea to use restraints when you have no overhead bars. This will guarantee that the kart mashes the crap out of you when you land dirty-side-up.

jandj

Reaction score
When I say launch I mean what happens when you go over sideways fast enough and the bar acts as a pivot as you flip.Now you are an extra couple feet in the air as your *** comes out of the seat. Ever see a Sprint Car go over sideways? It's my experience that if you the exit the Kart, the closer to the ground better, but that's no guarantee you won't get hurt...and I agree 100% with Toystory. Helmets and collars aren't just for racing, you can get just as dead at 20 mph as 120.

exenos

Project Nut
Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.