$150.00 Pawn Shop find

Status
Not open for further replies.

bshinn

Reaction score
Hi guy's noob here from the Charlotte area.

Any idea what I might have on my hands here? Sticker on the SW hub said Cobra 450XL.

5hp Briggs flathead when I brought it home, & according to the S/N it was manuf in 80. 3/4" live axle with 4" band brake, #41 chain.

Poured some gas down the carb, & it started on the 2nd pull. Discovered the shaft was boogered up when I went to replace the clutch, So swapped it for a 212cc Preaditor.

Currently under a restomod for the kids Christmas present, will post some more pix. BTW on the off chance it might be worth something in orig condition, :lolgoku: nothing I did cant be reversed.

Attachments

• kart1.jpg
    kart1.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 76
  • kart2.jpg
    kart2.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 75
  • kart3.jpg
    kart3.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 62
  • kart4.jpg
    kart4.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 48

bshinn

Reaction score
Here are a few of the work in progress:

Attachments

• after4.jpg
    after4.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 45
  • after3.jpg
    after3.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 68
  • after2.jpg
    after2.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 46
  • after1.jpg
    after1.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 54

Nodroz

Reaction score
Awesome job! The kids will be happy if they get this for their christmas. :D

I love these gokarts, simple, effective and looking awesome!

mr.matt

Reaction score
Sweet! Very clean looking from the pics, good find. Did you re-upholster the seat or buy new? Looks good either way!

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
Have a very close look at the pedals, and see if there's anything stamped on them. At least SOME Clark pedals actually say Clark Mfg on the sides.

soggycrashed

Reaction score
Cool! I have no idea how you will keep your kids from seeing the kart (By the way sexy TL in the background)

I would recommend putting a roll-cage on that. I only flipped once, and that was with a passenger who upset the balance of the kart, but it really can save a life.

What ratio are you going for? 7:1 is probably safe for this sort of thing.

bshinn

Reaction score
Cool! I have no idea how you will keep your kids from seeing the kart (By the way sexy TL in the background)

I would recommend putting a roll-cage on that. I only flipped once, and that was with a passenger who upset the balance of the kart, but it really can save a life.

What ratio are you going for? 7:1 is probably safe for this sort of thing.

I only have the kids every other weekend, move it to my storage bldg when they come.

My 44 yo brother, & I (46) both flipped it in the local HS parking lot a few Sundays after I 1st got it running. He stopped himself with his face, I had very minor road rash on the palm of my lft hand.

Both of us got up laughing so hard we almost puked! I have lowered the CG on the cart with different wheels/tires, & it will be ridden mostly of grass. Kids are also getting GOOD Helmets as "stocking stuffers".

Roll cages on yard karts like this are pretty laughable, just something to trap an arm or hand & crush it.

I have the Kart pretty much mocked up, but It's in the storage building....... Ill post some more pix in a few days.

bshinn

Reaction score
Here are a few more from shortly after getting it running.

Attachments

• IMG_0530.jpg
    IMG_0530.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0534.jpg
    IMG_0534.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 31

OzFab

Reaction score
My 44 yo brother, & I (46) both flipped it in the local HS parking lot a few Sundays after I 1st got it running. He stopped himself with his face, I had very minor road rash on the palm of my lft hand.

Both of us got up laughing so hard we almost puked! I have lowered the CG on the cart with different wheels/tires, & it will be ridden mostly of grass.

IMO, the reason it flips so easily is because the wheelbase:track ratio is too high (not that you can do anything about it), ideally, it should be around 4:3, yours looks closer to 2:1. Short of redesigning/rebuilding the entire kart, the only thing you can realistically do about it is limit the speed through low gearing

Kids are also getting GOOD Helmets as "stocking stuffers".

I hope they have biiig stockings :roflol:

Roll cages on yard karts like this are pretty laughable, just something to trap an arm or hand & crush it.

:iagree: just ask r_chez...

bshinn

Reaction score
On grass/dirt it is fine, will just drift. Get it on asphalt & turn it right.............all bets are off! That 35-40 pounds of motor/fuel mounted high on the left side of the kart makes a pretty big differeince, that is one resaon why the fuel tank is on the floor now.

Wheel/Tire combo went from 4.10/5/11 on 3.5" wide wheels to 4.5/5/10 on 5" wide wheels front & 6.0/5/11.0 on 6.0" wheels on the rear

soggycrashed

Reaction score
I only have the kids every other weekend, move it to my storage bldg when they come.

Both of us got up laughing so hard we almost puked! I have lowered the CG on the cart with different wheels/tires, & it will be ridden mostly of grass. Kids are also getting GOOD Helmets as "stocking stuffers".

I have the Kart pretty much mocked up, but It's in the storage building....... Ill post some more pix in a few days.

Ah. I need mine because: sometimes I ride in rough terrains, like my backyard. 2 acres isn't a lot for riding but it is something!

Also, my dashboard is supported by the rollcage and some other components rely on it like the fog lights and headlights... and the wiring harness!

Edit:
My friend has a friend who was riding with his friend (that's hard to comprehend right there) on a go kart and the thing flipped, he grabbed the top of the roll cage and the 200lb+ kart fell on his arm and cracked the bone.

bshinn

Reaction score
"My friend has a friend who was riding with his friend (that's hard to comprehend right there) on a go kart and the thing flipped, he grabbed the top of the roll cage and the 200lb+ kart fell on his arm and cracked the bone."

My point exactally!

Status
Not open for further replies.