Where did you learn to weld?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OzFab

Well-known member
Messages
15,615
Reaction score
73
Location
Warwick Qld, Australia
I have a cheap, chinese, flux core, wire fed welder & it does ok. The secret is in the wire speed (& to use the correct wire). Grab a bit of scrap, operate the gun with one hand & adjust the speed with the other until it purrs. that should fix your problem.

If it's only a small machine (around 150A) use thinner wire; 0.8mm max (0.0315 in the old language)
 

Doc Sprocket

*********
Messages
15,677
Reaction score
151
Location
Ontario, Canada
In the "old" language (LOL), the equivalent available wire would be 0.030. That said, I use 0.035" in my Century 100 because that's what I got used to. (And I push the thickness capability occasionally). I use ONLY Lincoln Innershield wire.
 

AMMFAB

New member
Messages
57
Reaction score
0
Location
Phoenix, AZ
answering the title of the thread...... at my work. a few hours a day and in a few weeks i was laying pretty consistent beads of aluminum. this was on a miller sync 250 btw.


mike
 

captain67

New member
Messages
22
Reaction score
0
Location
Linwood, MI
I started playing with the mig machine at work, was never great at it and to compensate for my lack of skill, usually had to use thicker material than I wanted. Machine was a three phase unit and when we moved to a new building there was no three phase power, so I purchased a tig machine, never having used one. I found that teaching myself to tig weld to be easier. I do alot more aluminum welding than steel.
 

ak99

New member
Messages
131
Reaction score
2
Location
Queensland, Australia
Answer to the title:

In Tech School as part of the engineering course I learned Arc, then as part of my apprenticeship I learned Mig.

I'm now 36 so it was a few years back!!

I'm a bit old fashioned as I only have an arc welder....
 

addision87

New member
Messages
26
Reaction score
0
Location
southern ontario canada
i was tought on mig when i was 7 continued to weld over the years. after school i worked in a machine shop thats where i learned tig and arc aswell. currently here all i have is my trusty mig
 

zbuck

New member
Messages
781
Reaction score
3
Location
Ft. Wayne, IN
:wai: I learned arc welding from my Dad and Grandfather 60 years ago. I learned to mig and tig weld from the courtesy of US Air Force tech. school.
 

DeathStarr89

Loose Nut
Messages
194
Reaction score
2
Location
Davenport, Iowa
Back in the early to mid 80's I remember watching/helping my dad Arc weld. he still only stick welds to this day. Definitely picked it up from him. He was heavy into car restoration, welding and fabrication back then.

I took metal shop, advanced metal shop, welding and advanced welding in HS in the 90's and re-learned Arc welding, plus MIG, TIG, gas, brazing, etc...

Mostly hobby stuff these days, still do a little on the riverboat that I work on in a jamb. Most of the time I let the maintenance guys have the fun. Welding around a few hundred people is not my idea of a good time, even with welding screens, 2 fire watchers and a gopher.

I just have my 110v Lincoln MIG/Flux at home, (3200HD). Works great for everything i do. I've built several sets of longtube headers for cars, sheet metal/body work, go kart/mini bike stuff, full car exhausts, welded differentials etc..
 

fowler

New member
Messages
5,463
Reaction score
18
Location
Bullsbrook West Aus
Just had a shot at an odd welder today

It is a new setup that the boilys have made up lately

Its flux core wire running though a mig welder using straight CO2 gas

It made some ugly welds but had awesome penatration
 

voided

parking lot pimp
Messages
303
Reaction score
10
Location
CT
started with simple tack welds for my friends brother to finish up. then i really started watching over his shoulder. and listening to everything that man said... now im not great but cant complain one bit.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top