What is a Governor on an engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brendonv

Reaction score
Been thinking about this more and this is what ive come up with:

If a flywheel did explode when the engine was on a kart it wouldnt hurt you as for one the engine has a cover so that would probably stop the flywheel actually going anywhere and then the seat is between you and the kart so its very unlikely to hit you. If it was off the kart and u are standing next to it and it exploded u may get hurt. Although its very unlikely for it to explode, probably more chance of getting hit on the head by a coconut then getting killed by a exploding flywheel. Also like i said before (i think) something else would break b4 the flywheel, the flywheel is pretty **** strong.

I think exploding flywheels is a myth and no one is gain enough to try it out to see if it happens. I think most flywheels coming off would be because the bolt holding it on wasnt tight enough but i dont think it would explode because of rpm. Maybe like 10,000rpm but these lil engines wouldnt get anywhere near that. A rod however may break at very high rpms but again once in a blue moon.

GXMATT

Mini Kart Guy
Reaction score
thats more like it, its a tiny risk.....but watch out for them coconuts....they'll getcha

Kenny_McCormic

Kartless....
Reaction score
The recoil shroud on most of these engines is no where near thick enough to stop cast iron shards at 4000 RPM+

This die cast one didnt do so hot against die cast flywheel fins at the FSM only knows how many RPM.

motor_head

expert garbage picker
Reaction score
the only time you need to remove the gov is if you have a tranny
otherwise just loosen the spring so it revs to 4200 or so rpm safer and more speed:roflol:

pmat

noob
Reaction score
look, a flywheel CAN explode, even if there is no proof, it is very possible and not worth the risk.. flywheels are made of iron, and it is not the strongest metal out there, you could have a few stress cracks that dont matter much at 3600 rpm but once you go over the centrifigual force increases and could just blow it apart. :sifone:

kart_racer20

Reaction score
an un governed engine will not over rev if they over rev then they have a cam with a bigger lift in them that caused it or they geared the motor too high causing it to over rev and as far as the flywheel goes the rumors i hear are the magnets on the fly wheels on the clone motors are only glued on and if the engine is reved too high the magnet will fly off but the flywheel its'self won't explode i have no proof of this and have never had it happen but that's the rumors i hear

BradenM

Etre Et Durer.
Reaction score
Flywheels explode in all machines using flywheels; for many different reasons-it's common knowledge that this has occurred on at least 1 clone.

HOWEVER!

Empirical evidence suggests that if you take a clone, remove the governor, the flywheel will be fine. Valve float limits RPM to around 5200 anyway, well within safety specs for the flywheel. If you however modify the engine to spin faster, you should upgrade to a billet flywheel.

I personally believe that any ungoverned engine without RPM increasing modifications (excluding removing governor obviously) will not fail. I also believe that if you can afford to get a Billet flywheel, and pay shipping, then it's worth it. For a regular fun kart application, you need not get billet parts-although it's not a bad idea, for added safety.

It's time a few of us got together, hashed out the facts, and produced an informative thread about flywheel explosions in stationary engines-then this could be stickied. There are many contrasting opinions, at the expense of facts. Lets set the story straight, so that opinion no longer clouds the issue. Lets not let this stew.
If your interested in this, please pm me or contact me via moses.traceur[at]hotmail.com

Braden.

BradenM

Etre Et Durer.
Reaction score
If a flywheel did explode when the engine was on a kart it wouldnt hurt you as for one the engine has a cover so that would probably stop the flywheel actually going anywhere and then the seat is between you and the kart so its very unlikely to hit you. If it was off the kart and u are standing next to it and it exploded u may get hurt. Although its very unlikely for it to explode, probably more chance of getting hit on the head by a coconut then getting killed by a exploding flywheel. Also like i said before (i think) something else would break b4 the flywheel, the flywheel is pretty **** strong.
If a flywheel lets go, even on a weedwacker, It wont have a problem traveling through a side cover, seat, or human's spine.
Centrifugal force.

JUST8420

Reaction score
Go With A Bigger Motor And You Dont Have To Worry About Removing The Gov You Have All The Power You Need

THE HUNTER

"Ghetto Rigging Expert"
Reaction score
i suppose what i would do with the gov would depend on what im using the engine for.

on original equipment, obviously i would leave it as is.

for a go-kart, it would depend on how im using the kart.

a small kiddie kart, i would leave it at the standard governed speed, or even limit it more depending on what final speed i want the kart to be for safety reasons.

a basic fun kart, would prob be left at the standard 3600 RPM as well, or i would modify the gov so it revs higher, but is still governed and limited to a speed that is well within the safety limit of the engine while it is under load.

if i were building a kart for competitive racing, then i would put better performance parts (rod, flywheel, ect) in it and totally remove the gov.

Status
Not open for further replies.