What did you buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

B.M.800

TheBeal.
Reaction score
...because we are all a bunch of nosy people....

Yard sales, flea-markets, garage sales, craigslist, auctions, estate sales, ebay, you know... that kind of thing. Or I guess if your boring, the junk you bought from china-mart would suffice?

Show off your good deals, complain about the bad ones... ask questions... For example, anybody know about what year this briggs is?

This pile of stuff cost me less than $40 I think its reasonable. :roflol:

Just keep in mind...
:useless:

Attachments

• IMG_2587.jpg
    IMG_2587.jpg
    290.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2586.jpg
    IMG_2586.jpg
    326.1 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2588.jpg
    IMG_2588.jpg
    404.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2591.jpg
    IMG_2591.jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2592.jpg
    IMG_2592.jpg
    438.7 KB · Views: 16

Hellion

Disc brakes are for cowards
Reaction score
Whats up with the Fire wood in pic 2?

Those look like home-made wheel chocks but can't say for sure.

My favorite CL purchase so far is my 1981 Honda XL125s trail bike. Mostly complete with a rebuilt top-end (new jug, piston assy, etc). Starts, runs, idles, no smoke. Just needs a new chain and rear sprocket (according to the ad) but in reality the chain broke at the master link and the sprocket has a few miles left in her. Needs a few other odds and ends and the whole lighting assembly if one wanted it back in stock, street-legal form.

Most people on CL think their junk is made out of gold but this was advertised by a teenager whose head was in the right place and just wanted some cash to put towards a 4-wheeler. Just $250 was paid which seemed quite reasonable for a 35 year old motorcycle!

Attachments

• Honda 4.jpg
    Honda 4.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 14
  • Honda 1.jpg
    Honda 1.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 14

mckutzy

Reaction score
Awesome another #14 in the house....... nice score for sure
Looks like it might have been from a tractor..... but thats a interesting piece to the recoil/blower housing...... Mine doesnt have that....
You need a new air filter housing, as it looks like they hooked it to a snorkel kind of intake....from the top of the cowl????....

Do you know the HP of the motor? .....Its hard to find info out there on these older guys from the 50's-60s.

FreeRunner15

=======
Reaction score

Attachments

• Snapshot_20161022.JPG
    Snapshot_20161022.JPG
    13.5 KB · Views: 5

B.M.800

TheBeal.
Reaction score
Whats up with the Fire wood in pic 2?

Dude said they were walnut... and if youll notice, in the... rather rough shape of a gun stock. Perhaps if there was something for size reference...

If anything, Ill try to pawn em off 15-20 years from now... :2guns:

Awesome another #14 in the house....... nice score for sure
Looks like it might have been from a tractor..... but thats a interesting piece to the recoil/blower housing...... Mine doesnt have that....
You need a new air filter housing, as it looks like they hooked it to a snorkel kind of intake....from the top of the cowl????....

Do you know the HP of the motor? .....Its hard to find info out there on these older guys from the 50's-60s.

I thought it was interesting aswell. I dont know what that deal is with the air filter, its like a piece of radiator hose.

Its a 6hp.

pRoFiT

Can't buy it?, build it!
Reaction score

My favorite CL purchase so far is my 1981 Honda XL125s trail bike. Mostly complete with a rebuilt top-end (new jug, piston assy, etc). Starts, runs, idles, no smoke. Just needs a new chain and rear sprocket (according to the ad) but in reality the chain broke at the master link and the sprocket has a few miles left in her. Needs a few other odds and ends and the whole lighting assembly if one wanted it back in stock, street-legal form.

Most people on CL think their junk is made out of gold but this was advertised by a teenager whose head was in the right place and just wanted some cash to put towards a 4-wheeler. Just $250 was paid which seemed quite reasonable for a 35 year old motorcycle!

Nice bike.
Sold my 75 Honda enduro picked up xl175 for same price. Back in 1995. Miss the 75 Honda. Loved that bike.

---------- Post added at 08:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:13 PM ----------

Chain Breaker.

Someone kill me. I have same breaker. But I paid $12.50. Worked okay.

So far my best craigslist find $50 212cc predator, new in box!

mckutzy

Reaction score
6HP... crikey....... oh well its still cool.......

Oh those chain tools are crap...... I have 2.... cause thats all I could get at the time, shy short of a hammer and punch.....

Now I use a Performance Tool W89100 Chain Breaker........ this this really good at install and remove links, multiple of sizes... at twice the cost of the above... but well worth it...

Hellion

Disc brakes are for cowards
Reaction score
...Now I use a Performance Tool W89100 Chain Breaker........ this this really good at install and remove links, multiple of sizes... at twice the cost of the above... but well worth it...

That is what I am looking for, really. Not a cheap tool that will get me by for a while and break after a time, but something that will last and last and last.

But I don't know enough about chain tools. I bet there's an older locked thread about it on the forum...

mckutzy

Reaction score
I reckon this will be the tool. However The instructions are confusing... Maybe a literal translation from Chinese....
But eventually I got it without messing it up...Regardless it works great..
I like it can do #35 ,#40/41 in the same go... Or swap pins and dies..#25 for the wee pocket bike chain... Also much bigger aswell...
That thing FR15 bought is real a pain to use... And it ends up bending an destroying the link, won't join chain either...

FreeRunner15

=======
Reaction score
That thing FR15 bought is real a pain to use... And it ends up bending and destroying the link, won't join chain either...
x2
Correct. Although it is a real nice step up from using the nut,hammer, and punch method with its' 80% chance of bending every link ;
the chain must be broken small increments at a time otherwise,as stated above, the link will bend and be rendered useless and need to be thrown in the obsolete pile..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ygx_ZsdpN70
Still need a hammer to join links.

Last edited:

FreeRunner15

=======
Reaction score
No... I was talking about joining other than using master links...

.. i don't use master links If that puts us on the same page now. Gives me a good guarantee the chain won't break unless I need it to. (sorry, i'm not always good with words. sometimes i sit here editing posts for like 10 minutes and it still doesnt sound right to some people)

Last edited:

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
On CraigsList for $150.00 Last Spring I got this.
4 Dirt tires with Aluminum Rims
2 rear hubs
2 front hubs
2 Axle bearings with 3 hole flange
2 bearing hangars
2 front spindles with tie rods
and a 1" by 30" Axle
http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php?t=32492

Pretty much the entire "Parts Pile" For my Build off.
The Tires and wheels alone would have cost more than that.
My best deal so far.

FreeRunner15

=======
Reaction score
Speak for yourself...I've never bent one, and I've been doing it for over 50 years...how many have you done that (once again)..makes you such an expert?

Ok i will. I guess I must not have hit the roller completely back in its' spot. But this chain breaker helps a lot. Show us a how-to video? That'd be cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.