Two seat diy go kart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jfive

New member
Messages
645
Reaction score
1
Location
Great falls Montana
Welder is pretty good for a tig. Only good for 5/64 welding rods with stick. I've done 6013 3/32 but that's the limit. Did 3/32 stainless 308l too. I only had it shut off once. Have AHP200 AC/DC tig now. Have the 80amp as back up.
 

Jfive

New member
Messages
645
Reaction score
1
Location
Great falls Montana
Been debating just adding a jackshaft to change gearing I could use a 10t and 14t and I'd have a 1 to 6.72 gear ratio or a 9t and 14t and have a 1 to 7.46 ratio. In any case I could just play around more with it and use a adjustable idler to adjust chain tension so I could get away with three chain lengths and not have to make new chains if I change gears. I like the clearance of a 48tooth on the axle and I bought a big piece of 40/41 chain so just need a an extra master link to add one chain.
 

Jfive

New member
Messages
645
Reaction score
1
Location
Great falls Montana
Ordered some stuff from old mini bikes. They had a back order on throttle cable for predator 212s so I waited. Then when I got it. It's a heavy duty brake cable. Thinking about using the cheaper brake cable I had just got last week for a throttle now.

Also picked up a jackshaft. Did a 13t and 17t instead. Will have just under 7:1 ratio with a coverter. Should work now huh?

Have a few pieces of unknown stainless I picked up from bad patio heaters. 3" I.D. Pretty thick. Gonna make a few gas tanks if I can. Maybe one for the kart and one for my future mini bike project. Picked up a stainless bung and aluminum oring cap from Bung Kings. Nice piece although kinda small and pricey it's what I'd need. Need to figure out how to get the hole I need to weld it in now.

Anyone using a converter and jack shaft on a kart? Still not sure how to mount it all yet. Hopefully my well trained eyes can help me keep it all parallel.
 

Jrgunn5150

Rudderless
Messages
1,028
Reaction score
6
Anyone using a converter and jack shaft on a kart? Still not sure how to mount it all yet. Hopefully my well trained eyes can help me keep it all parallel.


Mine was mounted like this,
 

Attachments

  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    409.9 KB · Views: 16

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Messages
9,358
Reaction score
94
Location
COMFORT, TEXAS
Is that a phone book under the Jack shaft? I have not seen one of those in years!
 

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Messages
9,358
Reaction score
94
Location
COMFORT, TEXAS
They drop them near our mailbox! and they sit there for weeks and months! LOL
 

Jfive

New member
Messages
645
Reaction score
1
Location
Great falls Montana
Needed to space it up and it was the perfect width. It was dropped off last week. I use google to look up numbers. It's still wrapped it plastic lol. Eventually I'll have to set it all up on things so I know how everything will have to go and still have clearance.
 

Jfive

New member
Messages
645
Reaction score
1
Location
Great falls Montana
Did some mock up today. Pretty sure this is how I'll mount the jackshaft. Small clearance but that's how it is on everything. Need a taller piece of rectangle tube to space it just right.

Was gonna take the gov off and do some mods but just exhaust and air cleaner and spark plug for now. No time to do more. Neighbors washer machine flooded my garage and need to get this done so I can park it at the in-laws. Needs to be complete lol.

They have to rip out everything. Happened in the above apartment. So ceiling walls are all ruined. Water standing in the shop light right now.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20160724_201304.jpg
    IMG_20160724_201304.jpg
    234.1 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20160724_133620.jpg
    IMG_20160724_133620.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 7

Jfive

New member
Messages
645
Reaction score
1
Location
Great falls Montana
Yeah but I have two of the ones that you see holding up the jackshaft with new tires and high speed bearings on there way. HF ones are just to mock and maybe roll it around. The replacements are heavy duty ones.
 

Jfive

New member
Messages
645
Reaction score
1
Location
Great falls Montana
Picked up a piece of rectangle tube 1 1/2" X 3" and tonight I plan to weld it to the jackshaft and then the frame. Made one chain and after I drill the engine plate I plan on doing the converter to jackshaft one. Wish I could weld it without the bearings in place but it would be too hard to keep it all square if I didn't. Gonna keep the ground on the tube so the current doesn't go through the bearings.

Really pushing to finish by Wednesday. Going on a trip Thursday and want to take it with. Should of bought the whole solid axle kit from gopowersports.com so I'd have the front tires and be done.
 

Jfive

New member
Messages
645
Reaction score
1
Location
Great falls Montana
Header is almost done. First one. Realized I need to use smaller wire if mig, or just tig it. Have two holes to fix as it was too hot at one point and I burned through slightly.

Galvanized coating takes a sec to burn off making you pause in one place too long. Also welded up the jackshaft but need to weld it to the frame still.
 

Jfive

New member
Messages
645
Reaction score
1
Location
Great falls Montana
Header is almost done. First one. Realized I need to use smaller wire if mig, or just tig it. Have two holes to fix as it was too hot at one point and I burned through slightly.

Galvanized coating takes a sec to burn off making you pause in one place too long. Also welded up the jackshaft but need to weld it to the frame still.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20160726_074754.jpg
    IMG_20160726_074754.jpg
    231.9 KB · Views: 9

Jfive

New member
Messages
645
Reaction score
1
Location
Great falls Montana
Need two more hands to get some stuff done so might hold off till I get back or take it with and have the father in law help.

Too hard to stick weld and keep all my stuff square with out clamps. I know what I'm getting at HF next trip. Looking more like I want it too though.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20160726_213206.jpg
    IMG_20160726_213206.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20160726_212637.jpg
    IMG_20160726_212637.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 7

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Messages
9,358
Reaction score
94
Location
COMFORT, TEXAS
Burning Galvanizing will poison you!
Grind that stuff off first. Or just never weld it.
Very serious very dangerous!
 

Jfive

New member
Messages
645
Reaction score
1
Location
Great falls Montana
Yeah it is. I hold my breath and do small welds. Grinding would of been better. Chlorinated brake clean residue is really bad stuff. People have got messed up from that as we all tend to use brake clean to wipe down stuff.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top