Two seat diy go kart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jfive

New member
Messages
645
Reaction score
1
Location
Great falls Montana



---------- Post added at 04:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:52 AM ----------





---------- Post added at 04:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:01 AM ----------

Steering wheel is cut up Peterbuilt steering wheel Tig welded back together with 80amp harbor freight welder lift tig setup. I welded frame with 6013 stick. Used mig on steering components. Tig and stick welded up a 48 tooth sprocket for solid axle. Have tav30 converter from gopowersports. Most parts are from them so far as well as bmikarts and eBay and northern tools. Seat was all custom made using seat rails from a 84 ford ranger. Plywood foam and furniture nuts staples and a mix of mig tig and stick welded frame. Depending on the day lol.
 

landuse

Moderator
Staff member
Messages
18,798
Reaction score
602
Location
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
Looking good. Just remember that you should never never never ever weld anything to the axle. Unless you are using a jackshaft, a 48T axle sprocket is going to be too small. You will be geared too high and will go through belts at an unbelievable rate. You also will not have any torque. This is a 2 seater after all, and the weight is going to be more than a normal one seater
 

SoBored

New member
Messages
38
Reaction score
0
Location
Ontario, Canada
Is there going to be enough room around the rear framework to mount a 60T sprocket on the axle? It's hard to tell from the picture.
 

Jfive

New member
Messages
645
Reaction score
1
Location
Great falls Montana
48 tooth was the biggest they had at tractor supply. Will be just a temp to see how it does. Using smaller tires then the picture. 48 barely clears but might have to make adjustments and try for a 72 tooth. Sprocket is welded to a 1in keyed collar not the axle. Have a disc brake kit from gopowersports. Need to try and find better front tires. These are gonna be for trashing. Trying to get some different ones. May use springs up front on spindles for suspension. Stiff ones like a valve spring. What is the best cheap front tire with same bolt hole.
 

landuse

Moderator
Staff member
Messages
18,798
Reaction score
602
Location
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
48 tooth was the biggest they had at tractor supply. Will be just a temp to see how it does.

It will do very badly i am affraid

Sprocket is welded to a 1in keyed collar not the axle.

Awesome

Need to try and find better front tires. These are gonna be for trashing.

Which will take about 5 minutes :D

I definitely suggest starting with a 72T sprocket. You are either going to have to use a jackshaft to obtain the required gearing, or you are going to have to modify the frame. Just make sure you don't have anything bigger than a 12T sprocket on the TC. 10T would be better if you can
 

Jfive

New member
Messages
645
Reaction score
1
Location
Great falls Montana
Plan is to use the 48tooth on a future mini bike with a jack shaft. Pretty sure the 41tooth chains is 10 and the 35 is 12 but don't quote me. Have both. Might just order a 72 tooth and be done. Bought the 48 tooth before much research. Have already started a 3/4" sch40 mini bike frame. Have a front tire and two rears that probably won't work. So looks like a 1" solid axle and same rear tire as the go kart is what it will get and I'll use the 48tooth then. To the ranch store for better fronts lol. Also won't see grass so on asphalt I figure it will have less issues except turning.
 

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Messages
12,461
Reaction score
71
Location
White Settlement Texas
You can't shop online? Trust me...as a guy that used to always had to "think outside the box"...and shop the begabbers out of all kinds of stores to find something "that might work....

Embrace the new world..now..I shop from my recliner....what used to take days and lots of gasoline to find something I could "modify" to work...now...it's as easy as pushing buttons!

And a few days later....I just pick it up and take it inside ....

You can also get critiques on anticipated purchases with a few finger taps....before you "pull the trigger! ":thumbsup:
 

ezcome-ezgo

G'me sumthin to write on
Messages
5,998
Reaction score
3,000
Location
Atlanta, GA
Maybe he's the kind of guy who wants to be rolling at 7pm tonight. Personally, I would love to have access to a ranch store. All I can buy around here is wings and beer.
 

Jfive

New member
Messages
645
Reaction score
1
Location
Great falls Montana
Ranch store was a bust anyways. I bought most of the stuff online lately. It's easier to explain spending money local then online to the wife is all. Plus shipping on tires was a lot last time. I have two front tires on a MW hydrostatic that I saved from being smashed that will work if need be. 60/10 tooth has same ratio as a 72/12 so not really doing any good there. 1:6 should be fine huh.? It's nice being experienced enough to fab what ever I need. Made a plate to mount disc caliper last night but need it all set where it's gonna be before I can weld that on.
 

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Messages
9,358
Reaction score
94
Location
COMFORT, TEXAS
GoPowerSports.com Is a great friendly helpful placefor all your parts. 60 and 72 tooth sprockets, and front wheels and tires.
enter Code DIYGOKARTS for 10% off
 

angus67

New member
Messages
25
Reaction score
0
Excactly what harbor freight tig/arc is that? Do you like it? How long can you weld before it over heats? When it does, how long do you have to wait before you can weld again?
 

Jrgunn5150

Rudderless
Messages
1,028
Reaction score
6

landuse

Moderator
Staff member
Messages
18,798
Reaction score
602
Location
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
Ranch store was a bust anyways. I bought most of the stuff online lately. It's easier to explain spending money local then online to the wife is all. Plus shipping on tires was a lot last time. I have two front tires on a MW hydrostatic that I saved from being smashed that will work if need be. 60/10 tooth has same ratio as a 72/12 so not really doing any good there. 1:6 should be fine huh.? It's nice being experienced enough to fab what ever I need. Made a plate to mount disc caliper last night but need it all set where it's gonna be before I can weld that on.

Sounds good. Keep us updated with pics
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top