To speed or not to speed.....this is my first build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Half-breeder

"Edit" button removed
Reaction score
Okay, so it's been about two weeks since I've even touched the cart at all. I'm ready to plug up the bolt and arm holes for the governor but I'm not sure what bolt size/thread I'll need to do so. I tried some Google searching but no one actually verified the exact sizes they were using. I think I'm going to stop by Napa today to pick up a digital micrometer, a Feeler gauge and some Plastigauge to prepare for the installation of all the parts.

... probably cause its 'NOT' recommended to make openings into a block/case (unless you KNOW what to do... before hand). Gonna need to see pics of where these holes you are speaking of. I have yet to make a single hole opening into my case/block, so I cant compare. If you scroll back to post #38 i exclaimed briefly... (sorry if I misunderstand your question, but it reads like what I said before was ignored...)

...plz dont remove the governor like some of the vids will show, punching a hole in the block, from the back. Take the time to remove the ring/clamp, washer, gear.

I feel there is lil usage in me explaining what I did, seeing as that you already made the decision and made the holes... So Ill end w/ a direct answer to the question.

....................................................................................

... I dont know... I figured out EVERY aspect of my build before hand(before I even ordered parts. Adding holes to plugup, were NOT in the plans, so I cant say, from experience, what to do.

... But if I HAD to seal/fill a hole ... Id find a big/small enough screw/bolt to 'just' slide freely into the opening... then JBweld it in. If any of the bolt/screw protrude into the case, Id grind it down.

:popcorn:

adsum

Reaction score
... probably cause its 'NOT' recommended to make openings into a block/case (unless you KNOW what to do... before hand). Gonna need to see pics of where these holes you are speaking of. I have yet to make a single hole opening into my case/block, so I cant compare. If you scroll back to post #38 i exclaimed briefly... (sorry if I misunderstand your question, but it reads like what I said before was ignored...)

I feel there is lil usage in me explaining what I did, seeing as that you already made the decision and made the holes... So Ill end w/ a direct answer to the question.

....................................................................................

... I dont know... I figured out EVERY aspect of my build before hand(before I even ordered parts. Adding holes to plugup, were NOT in the plans, so I cant say, from experience, what to do.

... But if I HAD to seal/fill a hole ... Id find a big/small enough screw/bolt to 'just' slide freely into the opening... then JBweld it in. If any of the bolt/screw protrude into the case, Id grind it down.

:popcorn:
Whoaaaaa *screeeech* Pump those brakes poncho! :roflol: I guess I wasn't very clear in what I wrote! There was no way in **** I was punching a hole through the case! I did take the time to remove everything the correct way, but I need to plug the hole left by the governor swing arm that was coming out of the top of the block. As well as the low oil sensor hole! I'll take pictures tonight just so you get what I'm saying.
I should've chosen my words more carefully! :oops:I value everyone's advice and suggestions on this forum so if I'm instructed not to do something, Im not going to do it. :cheers2:
I don't believe in taking short cuts. If you're going to do something, do it right the first time. :wai:

Half-breeder

"Edit" button removed
Reaction score
Oil sensor... I just pulled the wire through, and replaced w/ a 1/2" long flathead screw. I didnt remove my governor arm... so dont know what to tell ya bout that hole... other than a filler screw w/ JB weld.

adsum

Reaction score
Update
The good news is...
The set screws that I ordered from Napa worked out pretty well! I threaded the existing oil sensor hole with a 1/2' tap while applying a small amount of WD-40 (which was recommended for aluminum) while threading the tap into the block. I used my finger to "feel" for the tap entering into the case so I wouldn't thread the hole too deep. I used the same process for the governor arm hole at the top of the block with the exception of a 1/8' tap instead of the 1/2'. I have to say, I'm pretty pleased with the results. I plan to mark both set screws with a paint marker to ensure that they aren't loosening up as I'm running the kart. :cheers2::wai: I have to say I was kind of nervous while doing so. I haven't tapped a hole in quite some time so I was worried I might screw things up. Guess I should have a little faith in myself once and awhile. As long as I take things slow, and watch what I'm doing, things usually go well.

I began installing the new billet flywheel today as well. I had removed the old set up last week and slid the new flywheel in place but had to wait for Napa to order me a Feeler gauge. I threaded the flywheel nut on and hand tightened it just to get an idea if the air gap was close to correct. It measured .030 on the Feeler gauge if I measured it correctly. Although, it felt like the feeler gauge would get a little "stuck" as I slid it between the gap. I took a picture and made a little mark on the gauge just to show how far it slid in before having some resistance. Again, This is only hand tight. I need to borrow an inch and foot pounds torque wrench from a friend in order to completely tighten the nut to specification. That's when I'll take another measurement just to be sure.

Onto the crippling news
:furious2::mad:
I'm pretty sure my block is trashed as is. After tapping those two holes and beginning to tighten down the flywheel nut I noticed a HUGE gouge in the top of the block. The key on the crank was missing as well. :censored::censored:
I noticed when I began working on the engine that some of my tools had been moved from where I had placed them, which led me to believe someone moved my block. Turns out, my older brother while moving his snow blower, knocked into the block causing it to fall! Damaging the sleeve inside the block as well as the mounting surface for the head gasket. As you can tell by the pictures in the next post it looks to have possibly scratched the cylinder wall as well! :furious2::smiley_omg::2guns:
He confessed to the mishap and offered to bring the block to a machine shop for me.
If I go that route (which I'm thinking may be more expensive than buying a new $100 motor) will I have to
  1. Get new rings?
  2. buy a new larger piston ?
Depending on how severe the damage actually is I'm not sure if it's even worth machining.
Am I on the right train of thought here or would the few thousandths of an inch not really make a HUGE difference on the stock rings and piston? I'm aware that these clearences need to be exact, I'm just not sure how much material can be removed before needing oversized parts. :surrender:

Attachments

• 20141117_170716.jpg
    20141117_170716.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 20141117_171355.jpg
    20141117_171355.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 12
  • 20141117_173608.jpg
    20141117_173608.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 15
  • 20141117_175311.jpg
    20141117_175311.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 15
  • 20141117_175117.jpg
    20141117_175117.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 13

adsum

Reaction score
Pictures from aforementioned post

Attachments

• 20141117_174439.jpg
    20141117_174439.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 20141117_180214.jpg
    20141117_180214.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 20141117_180241.jpg
    20141117_180241.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 23

OzFab

Reaction score
Oooohh, that's nasty! This is gonna hurt but, honestly, IIWM, I'd be starting over... new block...

By the time you bore out that gouge, there won't be much of the piston wall left & your current piston & rings won't fit...

Here's a tip for next time: I use the simple rule that nothing can fall off the floor ;)

adsum

Reaction score
Oooohh, that's nasty! This is gonna hurt but, honestly, IIWM, I'd be starting over... new block...

By the time you bore out that gouge, there won't be much of the piston wall left & your current piston & rings won't fit...

Here's a tip for next time: I use the simple rule that nothing can fall off the floor ;)
Its awful. At first I wasn't that mad. I figured, "Hey sh** happens!". Then I realized I was going to have to get a completely new block, strip it down, remove that governor gear, then tap the holes on THAT block. :censored::2guns::furious2:
everything you said Fabroman is exactly what I was thinking. It basically leaves me no choice! Well I'll have a lot of extra parts for sale. An extra gas tank, complete head assembly, stock carburetor, crank shaft, pull cord...etc.:smiley_omg:
The motor was on a work bench for crying out loud.. I have ONE space in that garage and it's that bench...*shakeshead*
Now taking reasonable offers!

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
I would say one warm flat beer....but I might lose that in a bet....:lolgoku: Then I couldn't pay....

Yeah....sheet happens....but it doesn't mean it doesn't suck when it does.....

Half-breeder

"Edit" button removed
Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.