There She Blows

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
Ok I started researching this on YouTube.

Let’s pretend I wanted to limit boost at 15psi +/- 3 (per the specs on the air compressor “Pressure Relief Valve”) and didn’t care about spraying vaporized corn juice all over the place. I think a valve like the air compressor “Safety Relief Valve” with added check valve (if needed) could function to keep boost in check if my pulley math is wrong. Check valve in case the relief valve stays open.

To protect against a backfire explosion a “pressure Safety valve” would be needed (compared to a “pressure Relief valve”).

But Um not going to do any of that.
I also like to live dangerously.

Attachments

• IMG_4134.jpeg
    IMG_4134.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4136.jpeg
    IMG_4136.jpeg
    35 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_4137.jpeg
    IMG_4137.jpeg
    15.6 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
Volume of flow, a blow off valve won’t have nearly enough.
Maybe if it blows up, it comes apart at the silicone hose and cheap hose clamps. Perhaps one of the clamps gets only one ugga dugga vs the two ugga duggas specified on the torque sheet.

Ya, it’s a safety valve now. Lol

Attachments

• IMG_4138.jpeg
    IMG_4138.jpeg
    260.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_4140.jpeg
    IMG_4140.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
With a blower boost does not increase with rpm. It stays linear. It does not decrease with rpm. If you build too much boost or not enough you just change your pulleys. Cornfusing ain’t it!

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
Well at least we will be able to measure boost (or spray Nitrous lol.) Not sure if this tubing is made for E-85 vapor?

Attachments

• IMG_4141.jpeg
    IMG_4141.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
To dope or not to dope?
I don’t have any yellow Teflon tape, so it was nothing or some sort of pipe dope.

I had this stuff from last time I was thinking about using the yellow stuff. Not sure why I decided it might work with fuel?

ADDED:

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION​

Permatex’s High Temperature Thread Sealant locks and seals threaded fittings. Resists leakage, vibration loosening, moisture, hydraulic fluids and diesel fuels. This high-temperature thread sealant lubricates threads for easy assembly and disassembly. Won’t shred or wear like Teflon tape. Parts may be repositioned up to 4 hours after application. Temperature range -65°F to 400°F (-54°C to 204°C). Contains PTFE.”

Attachments

• IMG_4142.jpeg
    IMG_4142.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 5

65ShelbyClone

Reaction score
I use that same Permatex for sealing the valve-to-tank threads on Coleman lanterns.

Bonus Boost sounds like a button I want somewhere on the dash board.

The button is a real thing the tuner car community calls scramble boost. It's just momentary max boost override.

Bonus boost™, as I imagine it, would be unexpected or unplanned akin to a turbo wastegate line coming off and delivering all the boost, aka scramble engine™.

I think I’m going to try installing that 15psi pop off valve. I’m not really sure how it works. Will it will beed off boost how I want, or will it act like an air leak and make me run lean on deceleration if I close the throttle after it pops?

Blow-off valves don't really work with positive displacement superchargers. They are dependent on engine vacuum to help them open and boost to help them open and stay shut. Venting boost in order to control boost pressure is going to waste a lot of power and create a lot of heat from compressing air that gets sent back to atmosphere.

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
I appreciate all the input.

Im just a little uncertain about how much boost I’m going to make after seeing Red Beard produce 15lbs when I expected his set up to make 1/3 of that.

My cam profile should be better for building boost/compression than a stock cam.

Maybe I should build in a bit of safety with some gappier piston rings. I used 0.0055 per inch of bore as I saw suggested for under 15lbs.

Maybe I should also retard the ignition timing a few more degrees. I believe I’m at ~15.5 BTDC now, but I did find the timing light, so I’ll double check to make sure I have the “ignition mark” correct with the Kohler flywheel and the Tillitson coil. I am assuming it’s the same as a gx200.

I also assume spinning with a drill at a few hundred rpm will give the same ignition timing as idle at a few thousand rpm.

Boost gauge included a backlight, but I don’t think I’ll be needing it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
I moved the blower a little lower and forward to lower the center of gravity

Still need to weld together a lower bracket. I currently have a few brackets made from 1” x 1” x 1/8” aluminum angle bolted onto 1.25” x 1.25” x 1/8” angle iron bolted onto the gas tank mounting fingers. This is just for mock up.

Then I need to figure out how I want to tension the belt. Pretend the pulley I used to tension is a skateboard wheel or something.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 6
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 6
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4154.jpeg
    IMG_4154.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4152.jpeg
    IMG_4152.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4150.jpeg
    IMG_4150.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 6

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
I’m not really in a hurry to finish.
I relate most with the INTP personality type.

Thinking about stuff is what I like. Actually “doing stuff” isn’t that important. I get very little satisfaction from finishing a project. Procrastination and overthinking is my specialty.

Attachments

• IMG_4158.png
    IMG_4158.png
    266.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4157.png
    IMG_4157.png
    592.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4159.png
    IMG_4159.png
    860.2 KB · Views: 9

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
I did make some progress.
The blower now has shark fins. I realized I can steal material from a 10 + year old harbor freight folding 4x8 utility trailer that I never even unboxed.

I used some 3/8” grade 8 threaded rod I had inserted into some hollow tube. I used this material to make steering parts on the old buggy.

Attachments

• IMG_4200.jpeg
    IMG_4200.jpeg
    58.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4201.png
    IMG_4201.png
    377.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4202.jpeg
    IMG_4202.jpeg
    53.8 KB · Views: 8
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 9

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
One of the garlic cloves I planted has seemed to have had finished its life. No more green, so no more chlorophyll, so no more photosynthesis, so no more energy, so no more growing.

Next year I might try for 1.150”

Hopefully the others that still have some green in the leaves made bigger bulbs.

Attachments

• IMG_4203.jpeg
    IMG_4203.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 2

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
I think I like this set up. Multi purpose.

Attachments

• IMG_4204.jpeg
    IMG_4204.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4205.jpeg
    IMG_4205.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4206.jpeg
    IMG_4206.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4207.jpeg
    IMG_4207.jpeg