• OFF TOPIC fun forum - NO politics - NO religion - NO jerks. It's not complicated. Thanks!

spud guns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Khyren

Reaction score
I know quite well how explosive oxy/acet is. We used to mess with people at work with it. Put some in a small pipe that is welded to the underside of one of the prototype tables and then light it with a lit torch... Used to rattle the walls in the proto area and make everyone jump about a foot. Good times, but the shop is done and I'm now laid off.

Khyren

THE HUNTER

"Ghetto Rigging Expert"
Reaction score
yeah, oxy/acet in small amounts is fun, but in large quantities? thats when its dangerous.

the difference between oxy/acet and propane mixed with air is like the difference between flash powder (used for theatrical purposes, and is very similar to what is in fire crackers) and regular gun powder.

flash powder is used to make a loud bang, because it burns so quickly, just like filling the pipe with the oxy/acet.
but gun powder, though it does burn quickly, burns much slower than flash powder. its used not to make a bang, but to propel a projectile.

if the fuel burns too quickly, the gasses will try to expand faster than the projectile (bullet or potato, w/e) can be propelled out of the barrel. thats when you have problems.

you want a controlled expansion of gasses to propel the projectile, not necessarily a violent explosion.

and looking at the size of your rig, thats a lot of gas in there.

im not saying you shouldnt try it, i love this kinda stuff.
but if i were trying it, i would fire it from a safe distance a few times and inspect the gun for signs of stress damage.

but if it holds up, that would be one sweet gun!! :thumbsup:

Khyren

Reaction score
Yeah, don't need much to make it go and that's how I planned on doing the testing... From inside the barn. I do have plans for making it a hybrid and using a burst disk with 2-3x propane metered mixes.

Khyren

motor_head

expert garbage picker
Reaction score
I am. I love those spud guns!! the big boom and the smell of fried potato and hair spray!!!! I have one but have not used it for a long time!!!! Here are some instructions for a beginner's spud gun. look up spud gun and you will find tons of cool stuff like the spud machine gun.

Parts
# 2 feet of 2 inch dia. PVC or ABS pressure rated pipe
# 1 foot of 3 inch dia. PVC or ABS pressure rated pipe
# screw off end cap for 3 inch pipe (note: clean out plug may be used)
# slip to threaded 3 inch fitting
# 3 to 2 in reducer
# PVC or ABS cement (note: do NOT mix PVC pipes with ABS pipes or fitting, only use PVC cement on PVC and ABS on ABS)
# BBQ igniter
# 2 drywall screws
# hair spray
# plenty of spuds

Assembly Instructions
1. Cut pipes to correct length's with a hacksaw

2. Glue the barrel and the chamber to the reducer as shown in the diagram. (if PVC is used don't forget to apply primer first.

3. Close off the end of the chamber with the fitting and screw-on end cap or the drain plug cap.

4. Screw the drywall screws through the sides the combustion chamber so there is about a 1/4 to 3/8 inch gap

5. Connect the sparker to the drywall screw and make sure it fires properly, if no spark fires move screws closer and re-test.

6. Bevel the end of the barrel so that the potato will be cut to size when it is loaded. Beveling can be done with a Dremel or if one is not available a file can be used.

7. Let cement dry for about an hour (this time can be used to go buy some spuds!!)

had one like that once there the best kind simple

THE HUNTER

"Ghetto Rigging Expert"
Reaction score
Yeah, don't need much to make it go and that's how I planned on doing the testing... From inside the barn. I do have plans for making it a hybrid and using a burst disk with 2-3x propane metered mixes.

Khyren

good lol
i love big booms, but i would hate to see anyone get hurt lol

jr dragster T

Reaction score
I made a spud gun last year. I used 14" of 3" ABS pipe for the combustion chamber and 4' of 1.5" for the barrel. The first shot was just CRAZY. It launche that potato so hard and fast it was unbelivable. The second shot all we found was a bunch of leaks and cracks. Closer inspection showed that it split the 3-1.5" adapter, The drain cleanout, and made about 4 cracks around the spark plug hole. I've decided to try again with PVC pipe. Will it stand the pressure better? I know its more flexable and ABS is like glass. Once it flex's it shatters. Is it posable the racing fuel we used the first time was just too much?

jr dragster T

Reaction score
We found that some hairsprays realy didnt work. We got tired of hair spray and kind of fed up. So we took out the fuel and sprayed some in and caped in and first spark of the auto ticker and BAMMM shot that potato further then I could see in the sun.

lemegacool

got boost? :)
Reaction score
i use innovation regular hold hairspray (big black can) commonly found at jean coutu lol, goes BAM and the potato goes very far lol

TravisD

I needs more money
Reaction score
i used to be a big spud gunner but no more... maybe
i never really was a fan of the combustion type spud guns so i moved onto pneumatic (air powered) guns wich i thought were much better, it firers every time! and easyer to control ur power(via pressure gauge!), but portablity is only within walking distaince of a air compresser or having to carry a bike pump,
anyway my first gun was my fav, small and very powerful, the valve was a 1" soilenoid valve with interchangeable barrels, i used a curtin rod as a barrel due to it fit roofing bolts prefect!
and there it move on and got more powerful and some piston guns (massive and very powerful) until i made a fully auto marble gun able to shoot very fast with plenty of distance and could easily punch its way threw 1/2 inch/ 1inch plywood,

but my most powerful gun was the piston gun, man did that just blow up anything u put in front of it, i didnt fire it much due to i thought the recoil would soon shatter itself, i used to shoot 1/2 inch soild metal tube stuff at wat ever i pleased and BAM watch it dissapear, but this one was to big to carry

TravisD

I needs more money
Reaction score
pretty easy, the easy way is just get a big air copresser and make ur own feeding system that uses gravity, but if u do it this way you need to make a stopper so the balls dont all fall out!!!! but it also still has to allow the ball to easily get fired, its a bit tricky but i just use a thin piece of sheet metal, and cap the end where u put the marbles in or they will fly out!!,

wat should happing is that you open you valve and there marbles will start to get launched out and replaced by the falling marbles, SIMPLE, I will let u figure it all out,

also i was making a step up that tells the solenoid valve to turn on and off allowing the tank to rechage alittle more giving more power! and yea i used to make a lot of designs, my fav one that i didnt do was a twin step up!

gas hatchet

Reaction score
My grandpa made a beer bottle cannon. He made it out of steel and fired it with oxygen/acetylene mix. He would shove a beer bottle, wrapped with a sheet of newspaper, down the barrel and fire it down the street. That guy was pretty rowdy.

My oldest brother made a variation of the bottle cannon. He made one that would shoot a whole roll of toilet paper. His was also fired with oxy/acetylene.

I made a small cannon (just a 1' section of 2" galv. pipe with a cap scewed on and a hole drilled in the cap). I shot a potato out of it (also with oxy/acetylene). I shot my junk Chevy blazer at about ten yards and the potato turned to mist and pulp.

Is there a reason that nobody fires spud guns with oxygen and acetylene?

freakboy

the names 'mater
Reaction score
try starter fluid or carb cleaner for propelant..make sure you use pvc cleaner/cement make sure all joints are glued and dryed and you will be good.

Status
Not open for further replies.