SpiderKart modified Grand Daddy build

Kentguy13

Reaction score
Sometimes calipers need a "This side up" casted on to them.
No kidding! Haha. I honestly didn’t know that was a thing. My only experience is with cars, and those are already designed the correct way. I learned something this week. Needless to say, I have a few master cylinders for future projects.

Kentguy13

Reaction score
Today was a BIG DAY! I finally drove the kart. I finished up the electrical end and put the TC back on. It wasn’t perfect, but I made a few laps around the backyard.

Yesterday I adjusted the front end and tightened everything up. It rolls around pretty good, but while driving the steering seems off. If going straight, everything is fine. If you start a turn, it pulls hard and takes both hands to correct it back to center.

Taken today: Wednesday
76793677-73D3-4B72-BB33-C358F1FBA337.jpeg9395EE05-3A5C-423B-BB84-4585E3371622.jpeg62FD57A3-7D1B-48A3-9AF0-9F172BF75681.jpeg1F7EFB14-E105-4B6F-AFE7-88E680A60674.jpeg

Older taken Sept 16
319EADF5-A9ED-403F-903F-8E0B893C30B0.jpeg0C0AF29A-DD3C-4586-8776-02573D7D0313.jpeg36F11B7D-DE1E-439B-A263-F394BA27A7A0.jpeg

Kartorbust

Reaction score
Sounds like you may need a bit more caster in your suspension. You usually want about 5⁰ positive caster, so the kingpin of the steering spindle should be leaning towards the rear. With that, your steering should go back to center with less effort.

Kentguy13

Reaction score
Sounds like you may need a bit more caster in your suspension. You usually want about 5⁰ positive caster, so the kingpin of the steering spindle should be leaning towards the rear. With that, your steering should go back to center with less effort.
Thank you! That helps big time. Steering geometry was a big hurdle on this kart.

Everything else seemed pretty good. The front shocks could use an upgrade, but not required to finish this project up.

Kentguy13

Reaction score
This thing is so darn frustrating. It never works in practicality like it should in theory.

I removed the top spindle brackets and clamped them on for weld with the 5 degree caster. Now the bumpsteer problem has returned.

I had to set everything down and walk away. Im tempted to eliminate the double A arm and go to a single.

LightningTeg

Reaction score
Bump steer is all about the angle of tie rods. This may help.

This

Change the point where your tie rods attach on your spindles if you can to change that distance.

You can also easily test it out without driving by just jumping up and down on the front suspension with it on the ground. Steering wheel should not move much.

Believe me I've easily spent most of my time dialing in the front suspension on my car as well. I think we used the same steering rack, and I was baffled it came with 5/16" rod attachments. I bent those the first time a wheel snagged a stump at low speed. Ended up putting it in a lathe and opening up to 1/2". Now I just destroy the spindle arms lol

LightningTeg

Reaction score
Hey what kind of hubs are you running? Id really like to ditch my current spindles and do something like that with front brakes.

Also what rear brake?

Thanks