SpiderKart modified Grand Daddy build

Kentguy13

Reaction score
Well folks, it’s been a few years since I have been here, and it’s nice to be back. My Last go kart has been sitting in the back yard collecting fallen walnuts and rust, it was finally time to salvage the parts and build the two seater with suspension that I’ve been putting off. I started around November with some fresh 12ga square tubing from the local supply shop. I currently have a roller, steering and engine mounting is next on the list. Check out the pics.

046056E5-648C-41D8-929D-DABA8DDE34CC.jpg10580203-978B-4330-8276-3048F9F3779B.jpg
68C57832-AB22-4B9D-BECE-2DD600809B18.jpeg438AA51F-1B71-43B0-B879-E98EA92167A5.jpg
FA3E1C25-54C1-4773-B0C1-00C97869167E.jpg

Last edited:

Kentguy13

Reaction score
I decided against the full roll cage, and instead making it look more like the Arachnid with just a roll bar. The bar is really just for aesthetics and to mount a rack and fuel tank to. I’m too tall for the bar to be of functional use.

It has been a fun project so far. I’ve only found one misprint in the plans, an angle on the main frame was off significantly, but it didn’t really hurt me. I have plenty of steel since I bought more then the recommended amount and not building the cage.

When I’m all done, it’s headed to the powder coat shop. Only a few things have slowed me down. The winter temps in NE Ohio hit single digits last few weeks, the garage is not heated. I also broke an axel bearing trying to remove it from the rusty axel. BMI had a replacement to me within a few days though.

Kentguy13

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I initially was going to use the red high back plastic seats from Summit racing off my last kart, but one afternoon while drinking a few adult beverages with a buddy in the garage, we got the bright idea to salvage some parts off an old scrap SUV in the back yard. Ha. This seat is the back folding bench seat. I had to cut the mounting bracket off the bottom and weld some tubing to it, bam.... new go kart seat!

D483B979-09C5-4400-84E1-54D9FFFF1AF5.jpg

Kentguy13

Reaction score
I will say.... I bought this dry cut chop saw from Northern Tool for about $120 bucks, came with the blade. Best little metal cutting saw I’ve used. I highly recommend it for this type of cutting.
401C6714-0C64-47CC-8636-4E89CCA4722B.jpg

Finally a nice day here in Ohio, 60 degrees, but it’s my 38th birthday so no garage playing today. Enjoy the weekend friends, I hope to get the shocks mounted and engine “stuff” tackled next week.

Ryan

Kentguy13

Reaction score
I’ve been rather busy with life and managed to catch the flu. The sickness is gone, and I once again have free time. I hope to make some progress over the next 2 weeks and have more to show you guys.

Today I ordered a rack and pinion with tie rods from BMI, I should have that installed right after I return from my cruise next week. Have a good week friends.

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
have that installed right after I return from my cruise next week. Have a good week friends.

The most expensive part of my cruise was the blackjack table.
After lots of adult beverages, it is easy to sign your cabin number in exchange for chips.

Also when the good-looking, foreign-girl, card-dealers ask you where you are from... apparently your cabin number is not the correct answer.

TT540

Newb
Reaction score
I just added "cup holder" to my bucket build list.

Looks sharp. Did you have any issues with the A-arms warping or otherwise not coming out straight?

Kentguy13

Reaction score
The A arms turned out decent. I noticed on a build log that another member did, a jig, that I wish I would have built. I kinda got lucky that they were less than a half inch off,basically giving me a built in camber (I think that’s the right one).

I received another box from BMI today. I ordered a rack and pinion with tie rods for less than $70. It was the one for the YerfDog kart, but magically my front end measurements were exactly the same. I checked it probably 3 times before I ordered it, and expected to be disappointed when it arrived.... that was not the case. Looks like I lucked out!

Update!!! See post #20. The rack and pinion was not a perfect fit.

I will say, I did not follow the plans 100% on the front end. I shortened the A-arms by a few inches so the front tires wouldn’t stick out farther than the rear. I am using an old axel off the last build, so modifications were in order.

Last edited:

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
Is nobody going to address the 800 lb gorilla in the room?

What engine you got there?

Attachments

• gorilla.jpg
    gorilla.jpg
    363.3 KB · Views: 47

Kentguy13

Reaction score
Monster twin engine

Haha. Bob, that’s a Briggs twin cylinder 18 hp engine off an old lawn tractor. It’s set up with a comet 40 TC. I picked it up from a guy years ago when I bought a junk frame off Craig’s List. Before I started this hobby, I bought a frame for $250 from a guy and he tossed the engine in to sweet’n the deal. Turns out the engine was the best part of that deal.

Kentguy13

Reaction score
Well I’m back from the Bahamas... and it’s still cold here in Ohio. I went out to the garage today hoping to install the rack and pinion steering system. Unfortunately the YerfDog Spiderbox parts are not a perfect alignment like I hoped. It measures the correct length, but... the gear box is not centered and the tie rods are not symmetrical. I haven’t decided yet if I want to modify it, or just toss it on the shelf and buy one that fits better. In the mean time... I guess it’s time to mess with the motor mount and TC. I’ll report back when I have more.

CF294868-DB76-4974-874D-905D3E1BE590.jpeg

AFEEAC46-A2A5-44F7-A19C-0657B06FA4EE.jpeg

B7D2F3FF-D7F9-4300-8E64-246295A36179.jpeg