SpiderKart modified Grand Daddy build

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
If that is a 40 series TC with the standard spring in the driven, the driven unit should be flipped around.
If it needs to be that way, it needs a reverse wound Yellow Spring and should float.

If it is not a 40 series or already has a reverse wound spring, then carry on.

Kentguy13

Reaction score
If that is a 40 series TC with the standard spring in the driven, the driven unit should be flipped around.
If it needs to be that way, it needs a reverse wound Yellow Spring and should float.

If it is not a 40 series or already has a reverse wound spring, then carry on.

It’s Standard, and I meant to look it up and haven’t got around to it. Next time I have it apart I’ll flip it around. Thanks for catching it.

thatcrazydad

Reaction score
This is an amazing build! One question that came up going through this is, have you considered where your electronics will go? I believe I spied a starter cable on your motor, but I don't see much room for your battery, wiring, etc. I assume you will have electrical, mostly because those light bars require some amperage. I only ask because I needed to address this problem on my build as well.

Kentguy13

Reaction score
This is an amazing build! One question that came up going through this is, have you considered where your electronics will go? I believe I spied a starter cable on your motor, but I don't see much room for your battery, wiring, etc. I assume you will have electrical, mostly because those light bars require some amperage. I only ask because I needed to address this problem on my build as well.

I will add a tractor battery for the starter and light bar. I haven’t decided exactly where to put it yet, but there is room. Thanks for following the build, it has been a fun project.

Kentguy13

Reaction score
I added a rack in the back with the intention of attaching the fuel tank to it. The angle was intentional, in order to give the engine some room when the suspension travels. I did not expect the fuel tank to be so crooked though. The second picture is just an idea, I haven’t decided what the fix will be yet.

9CB55489-926F-4CC8-8C11-F106568ADDDB.jpegE4018654-2768-45C3-8B09-666F28F5F0F3.jpeg

Has anyone used an old propane tank as a gas tank? I’d like to find a fuel cell that holds more gas than this one.

thatcrazydad

Reaction score
Well, considering it looks like your petcock is in the front, not sure I see an issue with it being crooked. With it being tight to the frame like that, it looks intentional and functional in design. I would stick with that tank, I like the shape and size.

Kentguy13

Reaction score
Well, considering it looks like your petcock is in the front, not sure I see an issue with it being crooked. With it being tight to the frame like that, it looks intentional and functional in design. I would stick with that tank, I like the shape and size.

The photo is deceiving, the petcock is centered on that tank. I wish it were in the front, I would have used it. I didn’t see your response till after I purchased another tank. I found a new spun aluminum tank that is American made, 6 gallons too. It was a touch pricey, but I think it will look great when I’m all done with paint on the frame.

6F8AB98E-8563-4AD6-9191-CF60461C5DBD.jpeg

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
The photo is deceiving, the petcock is centered on that tank. I wish it were in the front, I would have used it. I didn’t see your response till after I purchased another tank. I found a new spun aluminum tank that is American made, 6 gallons too. It was a touch pricey, but I think it will look great when I’m all done with paint on the frame.

View attachment 96293

I couldn't justify spending all that money on a new spun aluminum tank even though I really wanted one. Luckily I found one on ebay (Never) USED for about half price. Otherwise I would have been using something plastic. I love the BAM tank I have and I'm sure you will love that tank too! :thumbsup:

Kentguy13

Reaction score
It took a little while to talk myself into buying it Bob. Lol. I completely forgot to check eBay. I better not look now. My justification is, I saved a lot of expense by reusing the main components from another kart, so I’m still well under the SpiderKart’s projected cost. The last big expense will be powder coating the frame.

Kentguy13

Reaction score
I got the tank today! It’s just sitting there, not mounted yet. I may shorten the rack up. I wanted it to hold a cooler, but I don’t see that happening now.

2C578F40-3B09-4D95-8BD8-EB78F5A92768.jpeg4E01C23F-0F46-4FDF-95E3-702E4D68A499.jpeg28DED553-BDBB-4AC2-A377-B705FD281CF6.jpg

Kartorbust

Reaction score
That gas tank will last you a while when fully filled. Probably could do a good 8 hours of riding before needing to fill up again.

Kentguy13

Reaction score
Projects slow down in the summer

I finally got around to mounting that gas tank. I’m happy with it. I had to make sure it wouldn’t hit the top of the engine when the shocks are compressed, but I also wanted it below the roll bar. Check it out.

BA7DC318-18D0-49F0-A4C1-2287AB59FF64.jpg561AA8D2-1DE3-4CBB-A687-E964C092A3AD.jpeg

Kentguy13

Reaction score
Haven’t touched this thing since May.... but still stepping around it in the garage. I hope to get back to it after the summer months. The Boat has occupied all my free time ��.

Kentguy13

Reaction score
Grand Daddy build is back... after a year break.

I haven’t logged on in a while, and sadly in the year I’ve been absent I haven’t accomplished much.

I have a renewed passion to finish this thing. It has been sitting in my garage for nearly 2 years now. I’ve bought a ton of parts, materials, and fasteners for it. I’ve bought so much that now I forgot what I bought and for where. Lol.

FAEA40BB-F9DE-4583-B91E-2475EF91966A.jpg

I got this thing all the way up to road test and stopped because of no brakes. I’ve been shopping everything from used 4 wheelers, new golf kart assemblies, to fabricating my own. I finally found a company on eBay that’s located in Australia that appears to manufacture what I’m looking for. I purchased it a few days ago and now just waiting for it to travel half way across the globe to install it.

26D17CF0-6BBE-48F3-B657-AD93597EC772.jpg3EA4FBDB-ADD4-487E-9E8C-3B5A3936A5EE.jpg416604A1-06C2-4015-9D30-6D202ECB4052.jpg

Kentguy13

Reaction score
Well I haven’t put much actual work in on the kart this week, but I did manage to spend a bunch of money in preparation.

1. I received the front brake/axle kit from the land down under. I assembled it on the bench, and it appears to be an awesome kit (and under $200)
6CA23578-99E3-48EE-BB90-AD56F8000E03.jpg557DEC18-A020-4AD5-81FA-F58CB82449E4.jpg7F698487-6A3C-46BE-8788-F2EDBD341F07.jpg

2. The dry cut chop saw I mentioned early in the build... well I’ve worn the blade out. It really has been a neat saw, but northern tool is the only place I can find a replacement blade for it and when I called them to send a new one to me they said they will no longer carry them once sold out. The mounting hole is larger on this saw than the standard Home Depot blade. I tried to drill a Home Depot blade out, but the hardened steel just laughed at my drill bit.
A7DD114D-B314-487C-B505-86BEE8743884.jpg

3. This is where I sit right now. I have new front wheels on order from eBay and on there way. I hope in the next week or so to get the new front end parts mounted.
668A621F-B75F-444C-93E2-0EEFEE3B2531.jpg