Spider carts Grand Daddy build

LightningTeg

Reaction score
Hey everyone! New to forum, but I find myself here researching things often so figured I would start a build thread.

Started this project 3 months ago. I've always wanted a go kart / off road buggy when I was a kid but my dad would never let me have one because he didn't want me tearing up the lawn lol. Now I'm almost 30 and have the space to do what I want!

Did some digging and found the spider carts granddaddy plans and determined that was a good route. The plans themselves are OK, but as an engineer I felt the drawings / work instructions were lacking. I ended up modeling the entire thing and making it a bit wider to accommodate the car seats I got from a parts car. Most of the frame is MIGed although I decided to TIG the A arms to get some practice and because TIG forces one to take the extra time to get it right.

So far I've got quite a bit of the frame done. I just started cutting pieces for what I call the "rear module" that carries the engine and rear axle.

Which brings me to my first question:

Based on my model, I'm going to need a 52" L axle. I'm not sure where to get one that long and whether I should get a Solid/Tubular axle and AL or Steel. The plans call out for a 1-1/4" axle for the 10hp engine the author used. I plan on using a Predator 420cc (15hp/18trq) and probably doing some performance upgrades. What do you guys suggest for axle?

Heres some pics!

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
McMasterCarr is where I got the replacement axle for my granddaddy.
When I got my buggy it came with a bent solid Aluminum axle.

I replaced it with solid steel, 1.25" key shaft 48" long.
I think it was delivered in a couple days and cost me just over $100 shipped.

You'll need the 60" shaft, insead of the 48"
https://www.mcmaster.com/rotary-shafts

LightningTeg

Reaction score
McMasterCarr is where I got the replacement axle for my granddaddy.
When I got my buggy it came with a bent solid Aluminum axle.

I replaced it with solid steel, 1.25" key shaft 48" long.
I think it was delivered in a couple days and cost me just over $100 shipped.

You'll need the 60" shaft, insead of the 48"
https://www.mcmaster.com/rotary-shafts

Yep I order things from McMasterCarr almost daily at work. For some reason I didn't find those shafts the first time I looked

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Check Go-Powersports first they usually have axle kits on sale and we get a 10% discount if you mention this site.

Denny

mattluttrell

Reaction score
Heck yeah! I'm an engineer and welder too. Just got into this for my 5 year old girl.

Looking forward to your build. Please keep posting.

Sent from my BND-L34 using Tapatalk

mattluttrell

Reaction score
Started getting in components for the steering and got the rear unit tacked up.

Twist in the rear will be alright? (Otherwise looks great)

---------- Post added at 02:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:39 PM ----------

Also buy a big pack of cheap Amazon bushings and some 3/4" tube.

I had to do this for silly things like a tire carrier on a Jeep. You don't want me building spare tire carriers more durable than your rear suspension.

mattluttrell

Reaction score
Twist in the rear?
Oops. I was looking at the rear member. On a car, with a non locked differential, yours would twist like a pretzel.

I forget that our buggies don't have differentials. Nothing twists back there.

Quinc

Reaction score
Late to the party but check out surpluscenter.com as well for parts, keyshafts, sprockets, chain, belts, etc.

LightningTeg

Reaction score
Quick question on brakes.

I like the MCP stuff on BMI but its rather pricey. I've found some kits for about 1/3 the price on ebay and go-power sports. What are your guys thoughts on that? Is it worth the money to get the MCP?

LightningTeg

Reaction score
Decent update. Got wheels on, rear axle is in (just loose now), and steering is mostly figured out. Also no bump steer :)