Spider carts Grand Daddy build

LightningTeg

Reaction score
Been getting alot of driving time. Kid loves it. Also I was able to rig up some TIG filler wire as an easy way to adjust choke from the drivers seat, and I replaced the rear shocks for the 3rd and final time. These are 13-3/4" shocks from gopower sports. The previous 12" had a good rebound and sprint rate but 12" was too short and the gas tank was smacking the rear frame on big bumps. Now we can fly around the property with no worries.

LightningTeg

Reaction score
Put a stage 1 kit on from gopowersports. Chopped up the exhaust pipe and then found a tractor muffler at the local tractor supply to help keep the volume reasonable. Took it for a quick spin the 15 minutes it was dry-ish Friday. Seems like it got a nice pickup in throttle response and overall power and the sound might be acceptable for the mrs! sounds good IMO. I will get a video soon.

LightningTeg

Reaction score
So small updates

Been trying out different lubricants for the drive part of the torque converter (recommended dry spray moly, dry spray PTFE, and now white lithium grease). I've found the dry sprays dont do squat and maybe last one ride. First ride with the white lithium and it has been so smooth and much more enjoyable. I realize its not what is recommended but I dont care at this point if dust is going to accumulate. The dry stuff just wasnt working and I would literally have to tear it down every few drives to reapply.

Anyways,

Stage 1 kit on the kart has been nice (yes the muffler is braced hard to see it), really woke up the engine on the top end, and added a light in case any night riding is to be had. I really need to get some side mirrors on it so I can take it up the street and see what the top speed really is. Road is closed right now for construction so pretty safe at the moment.

Still have plans to add a basket to the back for storage, adding a better column to support the steering wheel shaft, and other small things.

Kentguy13

Reaction score
I like the brake caliper mount. Has it been working pretty good? I’m about to add the same to my Grand Daddy. Any tips or tricks, or anything you’d do different with that back brake?

LightningTeg

Reaction score
I like the brake caliper mount. Has it been working pretty good? I’m about to add the same to my Grand Daddy. Any tips or tricks, or anything you’d do different with that back brake?

Yes no problems with braking system

Only tip I would give is to disconnect caliper from hydraulic system before bleeding. So bleed the hose first 100% then connect to caliper. It'll never get bled right otherwise.

They are good enough, but you might want to consider a mechanical parking brake for safe starting and storage.

Kentguy13

Reaction score
Yes no problems with braking system

Only tip I would give is to disconnect caliper from hydraulic system before bleeding. So bleed the hose first 100% then connect to caliper. It'll never get bled right otherwise.

They are good enough, but you might want to consider a mechanical parking brake for safe starting and storage.

Thanks for the tips. I happen to have a mechanical caliper laying around, I may just do that! :cheers2:

karl

Reaction score
I see you have the driver clutch flipped around , hows it going? Any belt wear so far?

Clean build, looks great!

Michal_Kamilka

Reaction score
Hello Guys
First of all, sorry for my not perfect English.
I have small question to you all.
Where I can get the building plans for Granddaddy go kart?
I tried with SpiderCarts website, but unfortunately I have some errors from the website (no any possibility to buy it directly from them)
Is there any other source from I can get it?
Maybe someone has pdf file and can share it?
Thanks for any answer. See you.

landuse

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello Guys
First of all, sorry for my not perfect English.
I have small question to you all.
Where I can get the building plans for Granddaddy go kart?
I tried with SpiderCarts website, but unfortunately I have some errors from the website (no any possibility to buy it directly from them)
Is there any other source from I can get it?
Maybe someone has pdf file and can share it?
Thanks for any answer. See you.

What problems are you having wit their website? Maybe email them directly and chat to them and see if there is any other way to get the plans?

Michal_Kamilka

Reaction score
After log in to Their website, and after pressing BUY NOW button I have info "your cart is empty".
I tried as well to contact directly with them by email but there is no any email address after pressing "Contact us" button.
I checked as well facebook profile, last post is from January 2015, so in my opinion this company can be already closed.

LightningTeg

Reaction score
I see you have the driver clutch flipped around , hows it going? Any belt wear so far?

Clean build, looks great!

No issues really. My sister did break a belt when she was flogging it over the summer but that was before I had figured out the lubrication part of it (white lithium grease works best). So the driver was getting locked up under load and putting a ton of stress on the belt.

After log in to Their website, and after pressing BUY NOW button I have info "your cart is empty".
I tried as well to contact directly with them by email but there is no any email address after pressing "Contact us" button.
I checked as well facebook profile, last post is from January 2015, so in my opinion this company can be already closed.

Sorry to hear that Im not sure whats going on

LightningTeg

Reaction score
I’ve got some updates:

So gokart has been running too rich this whole time and I didn’t really realize it. Ended up starting to smoke like a dog and then wouldn’t run. So I tore it apart, replaced the rings and rehoned the cylinder and removed governor.

Also got a nice Mikuni carb to get it properly running. Just waiting on some jets. Pics to follow

LightningTeg

Reaction score
So I’ve gone down 2 sizes in pilot jet and got idle close with 4 turns out on the air screw. Looks like another size down will get that wrapped up. Sitting at mid 11s WOT. I’d like to see 12.5 so maybe one side further down on the main jet.

Now the needle jet. it’s running way rich 1/4-3/4 throttle, like barley runs 9-9.5 afr lol. I’m not sure if I need to order just the needle or needle jet also or if there is a way to combine them? I still need to pull it and determine what it actually is now but I have an idea after researching.

ProTip: if you need an O2 sensor weld bung, go to auto store and find “spark plug defoulers”. You can cut the end off and they work perfectly

MTScott

Reaction score
Awesome build. I've purchased the plans and reviewed them, and I'm getting ready to buy parts to build one of these for my 8 year old. Hoping to have some of the basics sitting under the tree like wheels/tires, axle parts, steering, etc... to get us started.

I'm curious about a few things:

* Do you ever wish you had reverse (I'm considering adding a forward/reverse gear box as well as a torque converter)
* I'm considering going with 20x10-10 wheels/tires rather than the 18x9.5-8., Do you think I'd run into problems with steering (maybe easily modded by lengthing the nose and extending the arms further out)? I may also go with a 22"x7" tire up front on a 12" 4on4 trailer rim, and also planning to update the spindles to the 3/4" ones from BMI.
* Did you buy your spindles or build them yourself?
* I saw that you widened the chassis cab area, would you also consider lengthening it? (I doubt I'll be able to drive this thing at 5'11" 250, but I'd like my wife at 5'8"/125 to be able to ride in it comfortably).
* Is it possible (and are you willing) to share the plans you drew up?

Last edited:

Beep

Reaction score
What size tires and rim did you go with? looking to start this myself next week, just bought the plans and the square steel