Spelling & Grammar

Status
Not open for further replies.

OzFab

Reaction score
There's been a LOT of "ribbing" lately regarding spelling & grammar; first & foremost, THIS IS A GO KART FORUM, NOT A SPELLING & GRAMMAR FORUM! Some members have bad spelling & grammar, we can guide & advise that they try to improve but, we can't DEMAND they do; punctuation is helpful when it comes to understanding a post but, correct spelling & grammar are not essential...

It's a well known fact that Americans spell differently to every other English speaking culture on the planet & I don't see that changing any time soon so, to the Americans, we won't point out that you can't spell if you back off that EVERYONE WHO ISN'T AMERICAN spells different to you!

Yes, this is a sore point for me because I'm a non American, I know how to spell correctly &, if I'm unsure of a particular word, I spell check it but, that doesn't rule out incidental typo's...

Rant over... for now...

rocketkart

Reaction score
This has ben going on for about a month now. Im shore there is not much you can do about this situation than what you have already done. I think this post is pointless, but thats my right to think so. This is a gokart forum, not a place to let people know how you feel about a situation that has nothing to do with a gokart. People are going to spell how thay please when thay want how thay want.

MOPARVICK

Reaction score
I apologize if I am one of the people you are referring to. Poboy jokingly said something to me in a thread, and I poked him back. In my eyes we were just cracking jokes. I don't get offended easily, and I harass everybody I know including my mom and boss.

OzFab

Reaction score
Ah well.. I guess that'd be my fault then ;)

Sorry guys!

'sid

How?

This has ben going on for about a month now. Im shore there is not much you can do about this situation than what you have already done. I think this post is pointless, but thats my right to think so. This is a gokart forum, not a place to let people know how you feel about a situation that has nothing to do with a gokart. People are going to spell how thay please when thay want how thay want.

That's exactly my point, people will spell how they learned to, it doesn't need to be pointed out by everyone; case in point, I found at least 5 spelling mistakes in your post but, WHO CARES? As long as we understand what you're trying to say...

I apologize if I am one of the people you are referring to. Poboy jokingly said something to me in a thread, and I poked him back. In my eyes we were just cracking jokes. I don't get offended easily, and I harass everybody I know including my mom and boss.

No at all, relax...

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score

He is the one that started the Grammar thread.

As far as Differences in english spelling. I believe it was Landuse (a non american english speaker) That ribbed us "Americans" about we spell tire wrong or if you prefer tyre.

I definitely joined in on the "ribbing" I thought it was all in good fun. I try to have a colourful sense of humour. I am truly sorry if I offended you.
This is a Go Kart Forum I am much more impressed with a persons ability to build, fix, restore and repair a Kart. That shows true intelligence, creativity and ability no matter how they Spell.

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
OK.... I can do y'all non AMERICANS a favour , and look the other way when you buy a tyre.....but DADGUMMIT!

My grandma is getting upset about the way y'all spell that!!!! Grammar dont play like that Homey!:lolgoku:

EDIT: But , seriously, Tony....I don't think anyone was upset or serious about all the spelling banter....just guys being guys....and REALISE this: I realize that there are preferred spellings that are PROPER ENGLISH! ....but not American!!!! Aye...tis because thee ne'er told England where to stuff it!!!!

There's nothing really correct about the American "English" language...it's a mismash of many other languages and badly mangled words from them!!!! One case in point...(out of many....): "Jerusalem artichoke "....How in the world did it get it's name? Well....it's a tuber from the sunflower family..... The native American name for sunflower is girasol....

Now...European settlers misheard and (not knowing "girasol")....but relating to Jerusalem....(which they did know)....mangled it.....(There's really no other explanation....Jerusalem Artichokes are native American plants,...)

Don't ask me how they got called "Artichokes"....(I still haven't figured that one out!!!!!!)

EDIT: BTW: I used to grow those....and I want to again...but can't seem to find any tubers to start a new crop....be forwarned though, they grow like weeds, and spread underground....so you have to be careful, but they taste like a mix of potato and sunflower seed....and require almost no care....(even in the hot,dry Texas summers).

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
It appears, it became a beloved topic soon after my retardese-thread, but maybe I just didn't payed much attention to it before...
IDK.

'sid

Don't worry Alex....I'll just jump on a half dozen newbies for not filling out profile locations, get banned, and everything will be back to normal!

OzFab

Reaction score
It appears, it became a beloved topic soon after my retardese-thread, but maybe I just didn't payed much attention to it before...
IDK.

'sid

I won't say it was but, I can't say it was the catalyst either; there's a big difference between a bunch of words thrown together with no punctuation, txt talk & poor spelling...

Yes, I can take a joke but, sometimes, jokes only go so far &, as the majority of the members are American, it's the non Americans using ENGLISH (as opposed to American) spelling who are the butt of the joke...

All in all, no feelings were hurt, I'm a big boy, let's just let it go...

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
Don't worry Alex....I'll just jump on a half dozen newbies for not filling out profile locations, get banned, and everything will be back to normal!
Thanks for the offer Doug,
but I'd rather not see you banned again ;)
"Jerusalem artichoke "....How in the world did it get it's name? Well....it's a tuber from the sunflower family..... The native American name for sunflower is girasol....
[.........]
Don't ask me how they got called "Artichokes"....(I still haven't figured that one out!!!!!!)
Well, it can be traced back to northern italian (genovese dialect) articiocco which is root of the german and english version...(rest of italy called them carciofo)
but it itself is rooted in an arabian word "al-haršūf" (الخرشوف‎)
And that's where I get lost in translation myself I'm afraid..
to my best knowledge that means earth thistle...
And IIRC we had that exact same conversation before *headscratch*

Oh and girasol is actually spanish! it shares an ancestor with italian (girasole) in latin..
so no.. no way girasol is a native american word ;)
It's an italian sunwheel or something that turns towards the sun, depends which way you want to take gira.. as a subject or verb ;)

Funny enough the root of it's "rest of the world name" Topinambur
is native american Tupinambá (a brazilian tribe)...

'sid

[EDIT]
Oh yes, the swedish thread.

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
There's been a LOT of "ribbing" lately regarding spelling
Yes, this is a sore point for me because I'm a non American,
Rant over... for now...

All in all, no feelings were hurt, I'm a big boy, let's just let it go...

And in another thread within an hour of this one, you told a newbie How "We Love busting each others balls"

Well What is it?
Are you Sore, Are you a big boy, Do you understand we were busting your balls?
and if so Why start this thread?

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
Sorry I just dont see it that way.
and it is NOT because I am being some kind of arrogant American. Like I mentioned, most of the time I see it, It is with Landuse and even then he is the one mentioning "at least we know how to spell"

Besides It is all in good fun. It is no different than teasing the guys from Texas, or California about certain local idiosyncrasies. Or saying that we drive on the wrong side of the road. Or Assuming everyone in Colorado is a Stoner.

If all this is "just getting old", and grown men cant rib each other, mention politics, or religion. Then it is just boring. It is not just how to adjust a carb, set up proper Ackerman, find proper gear ratios. It is about relationships and fun too. and Sometimes even just being here when a guy loses his job, gets divorced, has a major medical problem or whatever.
Rant over

Status
Not open for further replies.