Snow Blower Transmission = Manual Kart?

l008com

Reaction score
Has anyone ever used a snow blower style transmission in a go kart to make it manual?

Before we go on, please understand that this is just a curious thought I had. I have ZERO interest in doing this, I think it would likely be a terrible idea. But it also seems like it would probably work.

So if you connected the aluminum friction disk to a clutch pedal, spring loaded it ON instead of OFF, then you would be able to shift gears freely, while moving, while the clutch was pressed. I don't know how long the rubber friction ring would last, but I assume not the 10ish years you can get out of them on an actual snow blower!

Another issue is that most karts don't have room for 3 pedals, so you might have to make it a hand clutch lever on the send of the shift lever.

In many ways this would be a terrible system but at the same time, I think it would be fun to play around with.

l008com

Reaction score
Ok I was thinking about this today while driving home from work and i had an idea to potentially make this work better.

Take a motor with a horizontal engine, but the shaft coming out of the top, not the bottom. Mount that directly on the engine plate. Then put a giant aluminum disk on TOP of the motor. At a much larger diameter than in a snow blower. Then a much larger diameter drive ring wheel with a thicker drive ring made of tougher rubber, more like car tire rubber.

I think this just might maybe possibly be able to work.
Again, I'm not building it, I'm just coming up with ideas. And this one... isn't *all* bad.

Master Hack

Reaction score
It may work on a snowblower that wieghs a couple hundred pounds and goes 3mph but don’t expect much more.
l just used a hydrostatic transaxle outta a ridem mower. Works great! Varible, gives whiplash if l stomp it. Reverse is lower gear than forward. I‘m really happy with how well it works.

l008com

Reaction score
It may work on a snowblower that wieghs a couple hundred pounds and goes 3mph but don’t expect much more.
l just used a hydrostatic transaxle outta a ridem mower. Works great! Varible, gives whiplash if l stomp it. Reverse is lower gear than forward. I‘m really happy with how well it works.
Got any pics of this project?

OffRoadGoKart2024

Reaction score
> Has anyone ever used a snow blower style transmission in a go kart to make it manual?

No, but, they made riding lawn mowers aka Rear End Riders

mower - ATLTF- all.jpg

I currently have 5 of them, using 4 of them to make a 6x8. The other one will just be a spare back up mower.

FWIW: The disc is steel. Plus, they appear to be chain drive inside the gear case. I will know the ratio once I open them up.