Senior Project Go Kart Build Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Romba

New member
Messages
32
Reaction score
0
Justin- do tell. What might you have you done differently? Always good to learn from those with more experience.

Griff- thanks!

EDIT: It has been graded but I won't find out until something like May 15. There are three major components to our senior project, product, portfolio (essays and such), and presentation. We don't find out grades until after presentations (May 11.)
 

Romba

New member
Messages
32
Reaction score
0
So funny story, I was bringing it back out of my school (an ordeal that requires 5 people to be able to pick up the back end and swing it around to get around corners) and as I get out the door, my steering rod snaps. Fortunately, I was already planning to replace the flimsy rod with a 1/2 inch solid rod, but it made getting it down to the shop tough. Had to put it in the back of a truck (fortunately a classmate had a longbed truck) and drive down. Will be replacing the rod and then it will be home where I can get some good footage! :2guns:

Edit: Oh! And I got my grade today- 97! :cheers2:
 

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Messages
9,358
Reaction score
93
Location
COMFORT, TEXAS
Congrats 97 is a great score. That is a nice looking Kart! I hope you stick around this forum and as you get to use your kart we can help you iron out any bugs that pop up.
 

Romba

New member
Messages
32
Reaction score
0
Thanks! I will definitely stick around. I feel like building it myself, completely from scratch, has given me a lot of valuavle experience, especially in troubleshooting and figuring out problems! It was super satisfying when another kid who just fixed up an old kart for his senior project was completely aghast that o completely built the entire thing. A lot of people were, I'm not sure where they thought I got the frame... :lolgoku:

But now that I've done it once I want to do it again... Hmm, maybe I can buy junkers and fix them up for a profit... Time to learn how to work on engines. I'll definitely need assistance if that ever happens. :thumbsup:
 

Romba

New member
Messages
32
Reaction score
0
Replaced the broken steering rod today, the weakest link is gone.

http://i.imgur.com/C0d3Ied.jpg?1

It doesn't look like much, but a cut and welded 3/8 inch rod is MUCH weaker than this new 1/2 inch BENT rod. Had my instructor tig the threaded bits onto the ends for a bit of extra assurance and to limit my trips to the shop to fix things. Much less sketchy now. :thumbsup:

Tomorrow she comes home! Now to find myself a 10' trailer so I don't have to borrow one all the time...
 

Attachments

  • C0d3Ied.jpg
    C0d3Ied.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 20
Last edited by a moderator:

Romba

New member
Messages
32
Reaction score
0
Builders log, stardate 5-20-15. I am frustrated tonight.

Brought the kart home today, drive was very unplesent. Never pulled a trailer before and am not keen to do it again. Got out of the car at home and my legs were shaking lol.

Got to work tearing apart the jackshaft tonight to key the sprocket (what I determined to be the cause of what I thought was chain slipping. It was actually set screw slipping.) and it took 20 minutes using the BFH method to remove my driven from my jackshaft.

LEARNING POINT ONE: Don't rely on set screws to hold stuff in place, they are no match for a 16 horsepower motor.

LEARNING POINT TWO: Set screws will mess up your jackshaft, making it extremely difficult to remove things from it.

LEARNING POINT THREE: DON'T USE SET SCREWS! USE LOCK COLLARS!!!

I am sick of beating things with hammers, so I'm just going to replace my jackshaft, which is completely FUBAR, the pillow blocks since I can't get them off, and the jackshaft sprocket, since I also can't get it off, lol. :mad:

EDIT: That's $80 in parts, including shipping.... I thought boats were supposed to be the money pits!!
 

Attachments

  • 11180638_10204247342319066_1385609891836063613_n.jpg
    11180638_10204247342319066_1385609891836063613_n.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 18

OzFab

Well-known member
Messages
15,615
Reaction score
73
Location
Warwick Qld, Australia
That sucks, I learned the same thing just last week...

However, used correctly, set screws can & do work well, by incorporating dimples in the shaft & loctite on the threads. The axle on my daughters kart uses nothing but set screws to hold everything together & it has never been a problem; granted, it's only 3hp but, done correctly, set screws do the job...
 

Romba

New member
Messages
32
Reaction score
0
That's interesting. I really should snap some pics of this jackshaft, it's pretty wrecked.

Ordered all my new parts about 11 PM last night, and this morning (after one order had already shipped) that I cannot, in fact, step my jackshaft down to the more common and easier to find parts for 5/8", since my driven is 3/4".

For now I'll just replace with identical parts, but I would like to push my gear ratio higher than its current 6:1 at some point. However, I can't seem to find any jackshaft sprockets under 9 teeth, and no 9 tooth sprockets that are 3/4". :/
 

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Messages
9,358
Reaction score
93
Location
COMFORT, TEXAS
Try to cancel the order next time. Nothing usually ships same day.
Locking collars still use set screws. Try using locktite on them, like fabroman said. but yes I have had set screws leave marks on axles, and make things difficult to slide on and off, but... sandpaper will smooth it back to normal.
Towing a trailer is fun, just nerve racking at first. Try backing it up!
 

Romba

New member
Messages
32
Reaction score
0
I caught one of them (pillow blocks) at 10AM before it had shipped. The other one I called, no one picked up, left a message. Called back later when they never returned my call, and they said it'd already shipped.

I know locking collars do, but my problem was with things I was trying to keep from rotating using set screws, i.e. my jackshaft sprocket.

It wouldn't have been so bad if the trailer's brake lights worked, people would not have tailgated me, and it wasn't so noisy, lol
 

OzFab

Well-known member
Messages
15,615
Reaction score
73
Location
Warwick Qld, Australia
Towing a trailer is fun, just nerve racking at first. Try backing it up!

It's easy when you've been doing it for 25 years :lolgoku:

I built my trailer in such a way that it's the easiest trailer I've ever reversed; years ago, I used to use my in-laws trailer, the axle on which wasn't aligned correctly... that was fun to reverse...

my problem was with things I was trying to keep from rotating using set screws, i.e. my jackshaft sprocket.

That's not gonna happen, it needs a keyway; as I said previously, that worked ok on my daughters 3hp kart but, a 16hp has a LOT more torque, you'll never stop it using only set screws...
 

Romba

New member
Messages
32
Reaction score
0
It's easy when you've been doing it for 25 years :lolgoku:

I built my trailer in such a way that it's the easiest trailer I've ever reversed; years ago, I used to use my in-laws trailer, the axle on which wasn't aligned correctly... that was fun to reverse...

I borrowed the trailer from my welding instructor who built it himself... I think alignment was off too which might be why it started yanking my car side to side on the interstate at about 65...

That's not gonna happen, it needs a keyway; as I said previously, that worked ok on my daughters 3hp kart but, a 16hp has a LOT more torque, you'll never stop it using only set screws...

I have most certainly learned that now! In fact, here is a pic I took after I beat the sprocket down an inch or so to see what it looked like under it... Lots of damage from the set screw rotating. End of the jackshaft is so messed up due to all the hammering I've had to do.... I'm tired of hammering things, hence why I'm replacing a few parts. :lolgoku:
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2046.jpg
    IMG_2046.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 18

crazykart

Crazy member
Messages
1,167
Reaction score
7
Location
Swartz Creek, Michigan
I would deffinetly take a dremmel or drill press and make a small dimple for the set screw to sit into next time, but that's just me.

All in all though I think it turned out pretty BA. Congrats.
 

Romba

New member
Messages
32
Reaction score
0
Thanks crazykart! I'm very pleased.

New jackshaft and sprocket arrive today, just have to make a run to northern tool for pillow blocks. Once that is out back together the weak links are all gone! I would still like to up the drive ratio, as 6:1 is pretty low for how heavy it is, but I DO have a 16 HP motor and a TC, so it's not as if it's all relying on a centrifugal clutch. The challenge has been finding an axle sprocket with more than 60 teeth (what I have now.)

I'll be set up in front of the window waiting for the mail truck if anyone needs me. :popcorn:
 

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Messages
9,358
Reaction score
93
Location
COMFORT, TEXAS
Not to nag you or anything. and I understand your old parts were junk before you took after them with a hammer, but. Learn this while you are young. remember what the mushroomed head of that shaft looks like. In some instances you need to slide needed parts off the end of a shaft. so you never really want to hammer the end of any shaft.
I work with electric fan motors and always have to reuse the blade so it must come off the shaft. Anyway not nagging just a tip you will be lucky to have for the rest of your life.
 

Romba

New member
Messages
32
Reaction score
0
You are absolutely right! It was an expensive lesson, but it has been learned for sure. Only hammering in putting the new jackshaft and such on was to get the pillow block bearings on the shaft. They are a little too perfect in diameter and the jackshaft... Isn't. At least on the end.

But the set screw struck again!! Got it together, made three laps around the block (about two miles in total,) and as I pulled back in the driveway I lost power. Jackshaft was spinning but not engaging the sprocket. The set screw that pushes on the key rattled out and the key jumped ship. Made a trip to Ace Hardware, got a new set screw, key, and some loctite, and the new set screw is siting in a puddle of blue loctite.

Couple questions:
1. Twice in the three laps the engine's power just cut out... The first time it was because I forgot to flip the fuel switch back on :oops: but the second time I was slowing at a stop sign and it just turned off... Why might it do that?
2. Guess it was just one question.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top