Senior Project Go Kart Build Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

justinlogue5_0

Can't leave it Stock!
Messages
266
Reaction score
2
Location
Tn
Might slip on that hill you have to drive up to.

If it is just a matter of a key way, you should be able to align the shat and the sprocket and tap the keyway in place. Then re-tighten your set screws. Pro wouldn't have to completely pull rear end apart.
 

Romba

New member
Messages
32
Reaction score
0
How did you know about the hill..... :confused:

I neglected to mention my jackshaft is a bit goofed up, and I can't get my sprocket to rotate on the jackshaft. I suspect in spinning on the jackshaft when torqued by the motor, the set screws in the sprocket have chewed up the jackshaft making the sprocket un turnable by hand.
 

justinlogue5_0

Can't leave it Stock!
Messages
266
Reaction score
2
Location
Tn
How did you know about the hill..... :confused:

I neglected to mention my jackshaft is a bit goofed up, and I can't get my sprocket to rotate on the jackshaft. I suspect in spinning on the jackshaft when torqued by the motor, the set screws in the sprocket have chewed up the jackshaft making the sprocket un turnable by hand.

Post #15
 

Romba

New member
Messages
32
Reaction score
0
Ahh, thought you were following me. ;)

But I did successfully make it up the hill even with a heavy roof rack and a passenger. She is officially "turned in!"
 

Romba

New member
Messages
32
Reaction score
0
Not yet, I'm going to go take a whole bunch of pictures right now actually, and will hopefully do a writeup this afternoon.
 

Romba

New member
Messages
32
Reaction score
0
Ok, here are some pictures. School is pretty crazy with exams coming up in just a couple short weeks, so there isn't the long writeup I'd hoped to do.

Some early pictures of the frame build. The frame (or at least the bottom part of it) was very largely based on the plans I was working with, dimensions changed of course.




Roll cage in progress. I didn't have access to a tube bender, so one of the vertical roll bar pieces was bent by hand, filling the length of tube with sand to prevent crushing, heating the bend point with an acetylene torch, and bending the pipe around a small bit of tube tacked to a table.
The day I tried to bend the second vertical piece, it was very humid and the sand was clumping, so it wouldn't go down the tube. There was an old cart behind the welding shop that had the EXACT width we needed at its handle, so we cut off the handle and welded on the lengths of pipe we needed. That one, along with the bending trick, was my mentor's idea. I guess years working in industry make you pretty inventive.



(That's my senior project mentor in both pictures, I was the photographer. ;) )

Finished cage


Cut the cage back off after that to make it easier to work with the axle, etc.



Axle and components on



Had to improvise the brake caliper setup as the plans were kind of vague.


I ordered a caliper bracket , but ended up just welding a plate to the frame to hold the bracket. It works well enough. I ran a length of aircraft cable from my brake pedal, through the plate, to the arm on the caliper.

Steering! The steering setup the plans called for was quite interesting. Instead of the traditional tie rods and whatnot the plans use a system of chain welded to a long tie rod and then connected to small "wheels" on the steering shaft. When you turn the wheel it pulls the chain which pulls the tie rod. I ran into the problem of my tie rods not clearing the rollbars, so I cut the rod, dropped it down, and rewelded. This has already proven to be weak (joints broken twice, and just feels flimsy) so I plan to get a 1/2 or 3/4 rod to replace it, and just bend it instead of cutting and welding.


In that picture, it hasn't been cut and dropped down yet. Until I tried to put the wheels on I didn't realize my improvised system wouldn't clear the wheels.

Here you can see what I initially tried to do:



This was about the time I stopped taking tons of pictures, so the pics will skip a step or two.

Painting. Between steering and now, I added the floorpans with a cool sloping design and the box that my second seat sits on.

Here, the box and front bar are painted. The box is hinged to act as a storage box and has a bracket for a lock on it too.


Rest of the kart painted after the purple dried.

Guess where I'll be going to college. ;)

The finished product, all assembled and pretty!
 
Last edited by a moderator:

itsid

Moderator
Staff member
Messages
11,563
Reaction score
251
Location
Ruhrpott [Germany]
Is it just my computer , but I can't see his pics?

me neither.. wrong links!

google drive, photobucket etc..all crap to embedd images on a forum...
if there's no "jpg"('gif, 'png' etc) at the end of the link, it's not even worth trying most of the times ;)

Ah well...

'sid
 

Romba

New member
Messages
32
Reaction score
0
Ah, dangit! Google drive it was. I'll sort through and fix the links when I finish this darn paper. Speaking of which, I should do that.
 

OzFab

Well-known member
Messages
15,615
Reaction score
73
Location
Warwick Qld, Australia
All sorted :)

A tip for next time: Left click on the image & "Copy Image Location" then paste in your post

P.S. Your engine is backwards...
 

Romba

New member
Messages
32
Reaction score
0
Not working for me...

No worries, I'll get it figured out tomorrow. And don't worry, I did get the engine oriented right in the end. ;)
 

Griff726

New member
Messages
18
Reaction score
0
Location
Hudson Valley, NY
I use imgur.com, it makes posting pictures really easy. It even has an android and ipone app which makes uploading from the phone super easy. Then it provides you with the bb code for embedded images in a forum.
 

itsid

Moderator
Staff member
Messages
11,563
Reaction score
251
Location
Ruhrpott [Germany]
Dunno what happened, they were there two days ago...

well you removed the link to google's "view image" script and replaced it with the URL to the cached image that google created for your IP address when you called said script the first time ..

now the images worked for you as long as -IDK- your cookie was correct I guess.. but for no one else.
now the cached image and/or cookie was deleted and not even you can see the image anymore.
if you do not happen to remember the urls (browser cache) the images are no longer accessible for anyone other than OP.

Next time, It'd be better (failsafe) not to replace the original url; but instead putting it in url tags instead of img tags;
and then adding images (embedding or attaching)

Anyways, that train's out of the station, OP will need to fix that himself.

'sid
 

itsid

Moderator
Staff member
Messages
11,563
Reaction score
251
Location
Ruhrpott [Germany]
No worries.. as long as Romba drops by to renew the links nothing's lost..

Things like that can happen.. and they do happen all the time;
more often than not when I stumble upon a google image on omb the images are no longer in the original thread (photobucket for example... really I start to hate photobucket for this very reason)

this gives us time to relax, have a beer and wait for Romba to fix the TV :D

'sid
 

Romba

New member
Messages
32
Reaction score
0
Updated and pics show up! Due to the limit of 15 pics, here are the rest.

With the roofbox I built.




Couple closeups of the roof box


It is held on by fabricated brackets with bolts welded to the roof box itself


Another shot of the steering system. When i replace the rod I will take out the slack in the chain.


Box beneth the passenger seat which will eventually house a battery. I put tabs on it so I can lock it.


My solution to what I thought was the chain slipping. Slot the plate so I can slide the jackshaft forward and backward (to maintain proper distance for the TC belt) while adding tension to the chain with washers under the pillow blocks.


Vertical rod is for my throttle cable to wrap around.

It was an absolute blast, let me know if you want any other, more specific pics.

-Romba
 

justinlogue5_0

Can't leave it Stock!
Messages
266
Reaction score
2
Location
Tn
Dear Lord, you backed over someone in that last pic!! :smiley_omg:

Some things I would have done different if it were me but that's the point of doing it yourself. Nice job and well done!:cheers2:

Has it been graded yet?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top