Sears tractor refurbish project

Kartorbust

Reaction score
Besides restoring this to it's original beauty, what are the physical plans for it as far as working it? Mowing? Gardening? If you're going to use it for tilling, get rid of those rear turf savers and get some ag tires. With that dual range transaxle, it will make yard work a lot easier. Just obviously do not try shifting on the fly, it's not like a farm tractor...seen too many uneducated people try to shift a garden tractor on the fly and end up losing gears because of it.

Also, need more pictures of this thing in it's current state and in its restored state.

still kikn

Reaction score
what are the physical plans for it as far as working it?

Also, need more pictures of this thing in it's current state and in its restored state.
I don't plan on using it. Back in the day I could have really used something like this but over the years our garden has shrunk by about 90% of what it once was, so garden work is pretty minimal now. I still mow a pretty good sized patch but I like the mower I'm using now so my plans don't extend beyond the refurbish. I might give it to one of the grandkids or I might sell or trade it for another project. Basically I needed something to do and this seemed like a worthwhile project.

Attachments

• Sears 14-6-06-14-2020 panal.jpg
    Sears 14-6-06-14-2020 panal.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 8
  • Sears 14-6-06-14-2020 front.jpg
    Sears 14-6-06-14-2020 front.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 8
  • Sears 14-6-06-14-2020 rear.jpg
    Sears 14-6-06-14-2020 rear.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 9
  • Sears 14-6-06-14-2020 PS resized-1.jpg
    Sears 14-6-06-14-2020 PS resized-1.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 8

still kikn

Reaction score
If you're going to use it for tilling, get rid of those rear turf savers and get some ag tires. .

The tires on there now are totally shot, cracks and splits all over them. The only reason they hold air is they've got tubes in them. So I'll definitely have to replace them. I'll take a couple close up shots of the tires later today so you can see what I'm talking about. Probably go with similar tread design with the replacements, haven't really decided yet though.

still kikn

Reaction score
I popped the center off the steering wheel today and don't this look like fun?

Gotta feeling I'm gonna have fun getting that off. I scraped off all the loose stuff and have it soaking but as bad as that looks I'll be lucky to get it off in one piece. I took a look at the bottom of the shaft in case I have to take it apart down there but even if I can get the U joint apart that still won't allow me to pull the shaft out of the instrument panel as the hole it goes through isn't anywhere near big enough.
May end up having to do a work around somehow. Can't heat it up cause of the rubber lining around covering the entire steering wheel, including the center cup. The same with using a puller.

But I did get the running boards off and took out the battery and gas tank tray today. Ran the engine for few minutes to warm up the oil and then I changed it. Found a leak in the exhaust where it had been welded sometime in the past. I may just replace that other than patch it again.

Looked through the reciepts for past work done that Mike gave me and looks like it had some major engine work done in 99.

Every time I took off a plate the area behind it was full of acorns, leaves, sticks, etc. Looks like mice or chipmunks had been living there for quite awhile.

Wire brushing some of the brackets and such before I take them off since it's easier to do it while they're all snugged down vs clamping them in a vice.

A shot of the tire condition. They're all in this condition.

Tomorrow I plan to power wash the underside and try to knock off some of the 40+ years of crud that's built up under there. The last time I used the power washer it was acting up though and I never did get back to it so I'll probably have to spend some time figuring out what's going on with it before using it. Other than that I'm taking the day off.

Attachments

• Sears 14-6-06-15-2020 steering wheel rust.jpg
    Sears 14-6-06-15-2020 steering wheel rust.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 11
  • Sears 14-6-06-15-2020 Steering U joint.jpg
    Sears 14-6-06-15-2020 Steering U joint.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 13
  • Sears 14-6-06-15-2020 DS.jpg
    Sears 14-6-06-15-2020 DS.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 12
  • Sears 14-6-06-15-2020 exhaust.jpg
    Sears 14-6-06-15-2020 exhaust.jpg
    740.3 KB · Views: 8
  • Sears 14-6-06-15-2020 engine rebuild parts bill.jpg
    Sears 14-6-06-15-2020 engine rebuild parts bill.jpg
    257.8 KB · Views: 10
  • Sears 14-6-06-15-2020 acc pedal access.jpg
    Sears 14-6-06-15-2020 acc pedal access.jpg
    792.3 KB · Views: 10
  • Sears 14-6-06-15-2020 tire.jpg
    Sears 14-6-06-15-2020 tire.jpg
    704.5 KB · Views: 8
  • Sears 14-6-06-15-2020.jpg
    Sears 14-6-06-15-2020.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 13

Kartorbust

Reaction score
On the upside, this thing looks pretty gang good for being 40 of years old. Downside is, that's a lot of rust or whatever in the steering wheel hub. Just let that soak on PB Blaster over night to get that to break free.

Brianator

Gettin' er done!
Reaction score
Great progress so far, keep up the good work! I've had a sweet spot for old lawn/garden tractors since I scored my 1969 MTD seven hundred (7hp B&S)... such a good little machine (and heavy!)

still kikn

Reaction score
I agree it's in pretty good shape for it's age. The steering wheel is the first real obstacle I've had with it.

It's been soaking all day and it'll be soaking all day tomorrow too, not even gonna try to remove it for a couple days. But honestly I'll be surprised if I get this to break loose. I'll try everything I can but my options are pretty limited in this case, can't use heat, don't think a puller will work with the rubber coated steering wheel, don't see much of a way to beat it off either. I think I'll either have to cut the shaft off just below the wheel and then press it out and then weld the cut off piece back on or just live with it. For now though I'm just gonna let it soak.

---------- Post added at 11:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:11 PM ----------

. such a good little machine (and heavy!)

Thanks for the encouraging words.

Heavy, this one is too! The day I picked it up I grabbed the front end thinking I'd swing it around and get it pointing the right direction for loading in my truck. Changed my mind about that real quick and started working out a Plan B.

Brianator

Gettin' er done!
Reaction score
Lmao! Mine is much smaller than yours and most actually, it's the smallest ive seen. I almost threw my back out when I lifted the front end up onto cinder blocks, it rolled and moved so easy I didn't expect that! Mind if I post a pic to show you?

Kartorbust

Reaction score
That's the nice thing about these older tractors, not much sheet metal for the body and frame. Majority of it is just thick metal like 3/16" heavy sheet or 1/4" plate.
They may look light, but a lot of them are 700lbs or more. The mower deck just adds stupid amounts of weight as well.

Back in the 90s when I was like 5, my dad was given (or bought would have to ask) a 1975 LT10/E Sears lawn tractor. When it ran, it ran great with a Tecumseh 10hp. Only real problem we had was, reverse on the Peerless 1200 transaxle would never work properly. We liked the machine a lot though vs the hydrostatic tractors, just because the 3 speed transaxle was a lot more stout to do hills. Hydrostatics are fine, but they need to stay cool, otherwise the hydraulic pump goes out.

still kikn

Reaction score
Lmao! Mine is much smaller than yours and most actually, it's the smallest ive seen. I almost threw my back out when I lifted the front end up onto cinder blocks, it rolled and moved so easy I didn't expect that! Mind if I post a pic to show you?

Post all the pics you want. I'd like to see it!

still kikn

Reaction score
That's the nice thing about these older tractors, not much sheet metal for the body and frame. Majority of it is just thick metal like 3/16" heavy sheet or 1/4" plate.
They may look light, but a lot of them are 700lbs or more. The mower deck just adds stupid amounts of weight as well.

The only light gauge metal on the whole tractor is the hood. Everything else is 3/16 " or thicker like you said. And the heavy duty aspect doesn't end with the frame either. After I got it home and spent some time looking it all over one of the things that impressed me most was the steering gears.

Attachments

• Sears 14-6-06-15-2020 Steering gears.jpg
    Sears 14-6-06-15-2020 Steering gears.jpg
    312.1 KB · Views: 9
  • Sears 14-6-06-15-2020 Steering front end.jpg
    Sears 14-6-06-15-2020 Steering front end.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 8

Brianator

Gettin' er done!
Reaction score
Wow those are beefy steering gears! I only have the one pic on me, the front wheels/tires are not the right ones (way too big) and someone painted it John Deere colors (that will be changed soon enough) but here's my old machine that was left to die probably 20 years ago. Lucky for it (and me) it doesn't look like it saw any salt as it's essentially rust free! I took this pic shortly after almost throwing my back out lifting it onto the cinder blocks! :roflol:

Attachments

• 20200616_003603.jpg
    20200616_003603.jpg
    536 KB · Views: 10

still kikn

Reaction score
Haven't got a whole lot accomplished the past two days. Wasted most of yesterday trying to get my power washer working right. To make a long story short I've ordered a replacement pump that should be here in about five days. So I wasn't able to clean the undercarriage yesterday like I'd planned.

But did get the seat and fenders off and also removed the back plate where the three point would mount, if I had one...

Tried to pull the steering wheel today but that was a joke, not budging yet, so still soaking. Did manage to twist off the center bolt that holds it on so guess I'll have to drill and tap then once I do get the steering wheel off. Isn't there always something that's gotta be stubborn?

Looking for wheels on the internet today, tons of tires that'll fit the front out there but having trouble finding the 22 x 7.5 x 12s that are on the rear. I want to get the tires ordered pretty quick since I'm still waiting for the front tires I ordered for the Dingo way back in early May. Don't want to go through that same thing with the tractor tires.

There isn't too much more to take apart before I'm ready to start sanding. Plan to sand the last off first and work my way back to the first off. and then paint in the same order. And I'll wash the undercarriage as soon as I get the pump and once it's clean I'll give it a light sanding but not going to go too crazy on the underside.

Couple of pics of progress.

Attachments

• Sears 14-6-06-17-2020 front view.jpg
    Sears 14-6-06-17-2020 front view.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 8
  • Sears 14-6-06-17-2020.jpg
    Sears 14-6-06-17-2020.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 5
  • Sears 14-6-06-17-2020 rear view.jpg
    Sears 14-6-06-17-2020 rear view.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 7

Brianator

Gettin' er done!
Reaction score
I have the same issue with my old tractor, I wanted to get the original size(s) but they're obsolete! Lol. For you I think 22x9.5-12 should be fine, they're designed for a 7 inch wide rim.

still kikn

Reaction score
The tires vs rim size thing confuses me, maybe I overthink it but I worry that putting that wide of a tire on that narrow of a rim will cause a crown across the tread. Maybe not, just not sure. I'm considering going to a 23x8.50x12. I think I'd still have enough clearance and that size is available but have to take some measurements and do a little more research before ordering. I found some regular tractor tread tires in that size that I think would look pretty cool on my tractor. What dya think? https://www.amazon.com/Carlisle-Tru...23x9.50-12&qid=1592504370&s=automotive&sr=1-9

Little more than I was wanting to pay but.....

Kartorbust

Reaction score
It may make the tire a bit taller, but it should be fine. Not like it goes much faster than 6mph or so.

still kikn

Reaction score
It may make the tire a bit taller, but it should be fine. Not like it goes much faster than 6mph or so.

True, I think 6 mph is probably about right, but the speed of this tractor is not a concern, traction on the other hand is.
If there is a crown across the treads as I fear, then traction will be at least somewhat affected, no?

still kikn

Reaction score
Those look awesome! Wont be very kind to grass though so I guess it depends on what you plan to do with it? Be great for mud mower drags!:roflol:

Yeah, I like em too. Pretty sure those are what I'm gonna go with. Should only loose about a half inch of clearance if I'm figuring right and that shouldn't require any modification to the fenders or anything else. Might effect the cutting deck level but probably not and if so I could probably adjust the hangers to make up the difference.

I don't know if they'd be all that hard on grass. I run my Massey Ferguson 135 across the yard all the time going from the shed to the field and other than leaving a slight imprint of the tread, that goes away within a a day or two it does no damage. Probably would if I were to do a tight turn, locking up one rear wheel though but the little Sears doesn't have that capability of braking with one wheel or the other anyway. Also the differential should help reduce any turning damage. Guess I'll find out. But i don't plan on mowing with it anyway. Unless I fall in love with it, which I might by the time I'm finished, I'll probably trade or sell it to finance my next project.

Steering wheel not budging. Went ahead and worked on the grill and back plate today while I'm waiting for the washer pump and for the steering wheel to break free. Wire brushed both all the way down to bare metal, then a light sand and primed. Might work on the fenders tomorrow but have some other plans that will take up most of the day so may not get much tomorrow.

Attachments

• Sears 14-6-06-18-2020 Grill.jpg
    Sears 14-6-06-18-2020 Grill.jpg
    899.6 KB · Views: 3
  • Sears 14-6-06-18-2020 Grill and back plate primed.jpg
    Sears 14-6-06-18-2020 Grill and back plate primed.jpg
    860.3 KB · Views: 3