Rupp Dart Rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

slidewayz

Reaction score
Hahaha, you guys...Its made to be driven. The first scratch is always the worst one.
This is just how I do things, I raced on dirt ovals many many years, and I would like to think all of my full sized cars had the same appeal and detail.....
Here are a few of them....

As far as the color goes, I have no idea. I went to my local auto paint store, and told the guy behind the counter what was in my minds eye. He pretty much nailed it. I know there was some orange, some red, some other mystery color and some gold pearl powder. And he told me the white base coat was a must. The paint is a single stage acrylic enamel, meaning there was no clear coat to deal with.
Thanks again ya'll.....more to follow, I just took it outside for the first time:thumbsup:

MatthewD

Reaction score
Yeah, you got me wanting my kart this colour! I think I'm gonna use some "Real Orange" and Gold Glitter Paint. Spray some primer, then some gold, then some orange and then some clear coat!

slidewayz

Reaction score
Matt, sounds like you are on the right track. The first paint store I went to said it would cost me about 300 bucks to paint this....but the guy I used to deal with for my racecars ended up mixing up this for about 75 bucks including the white, hardener and reducer.

Now, without further to do, heres the lil guy out in the bright sunshine...

This has been a total blast restoring this kart.
Bit of a set back....as the clothes dryer went teets-up, but a quick repair and its back in action, now its back the garage to break out the lettering enamels.:cheers2:

slidewayz

Reaction score
Fabroman, thank you!!! And your kart is awesome as well, kudos on your updating an old school design.

In from the garage for the night....Im wiped out, back hurts, eyes are crossed, and nerves are shot....sucks getting old.....
But.....goal accomplished....

And a another little shout out to my dad....he painted many of those cut down racecars back in the day, and every one had something painted on the roof, so when behind the racecar you would see the reflection of whatever was on the roof in the polished wing. When I raced that style of car I did the same thing to mine, and I carried the same thing over to this, so I painted the same scallop pattern on the underside of the Nassau panel, so it can be seen in the floor pan...

Thanks for looking in and all the compliments folks.

2SlickNick

American Minibikes @ FB
Reaction score
Ahh my comment from yesterday didn't save.
Anyways you have done an amazing job with this all the way around!

slidewayz

Reaction score
Thank you very much SlickNick!

That looks absolutely fantastic! Now all you need is a flat head engine to go with it!

Hopefully over the next week I will get the new powerplant mounted and running.

Really what this lil guy needs is a lil ol' Mac, and hopefully that will come later so I can seek out some vintage events. But what I have planned for it now, I think, ya'll will like.

Its a bit of new mixed with a bit of old. No flathead for this one, I am just not a fan of that motor sticking up above the seat on this style of kart. If it was a sidewinder, that would be different, I dont mind an old Briggs 5hp on those.

I really appreciate all the nice comments and compliments, stay tuned.
:cheers2:

MatthewD

Reaction score
Thank you very much SlickNick!

Hopefully over the next week I will get the new powerplant mounted and running.

Really what this lil guy needs is a lil ol' Mac, and hopefully that will come later so I can seek out some vintage events. But what I have planned for it now, I think, ya'll will like.

Its a bit of new mixed with a bit of old. No flathead for this one, I am just not a fan of that motor sticking up above the seat on this style of kart. If it was a sidewinder, that would be different, I dont mind an old Briggs 5hp on those.

I really appreciate all the nice comments and compliments, stay tuned.
:cheers2:
Yeah, a Mac would be period correct, although so would a 5hp Flatty. But anyways, can't wait to see this lil guy done! Oh and I'm excited about the new power plant. I'm thinking Briggs Animal or something :idea2: :wai:

slidewayz

Reaction score
Do you have an engine yet. Check out this thread. The guy has an old classic motor. I should know what it is but it slipped my mind. would be perfect for you. plus the point of his thread is he wants a predator sooo??
http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php?t=29099

I saw that thread, and that guy has a great start and foundation for a really nice Rupp in the future. That motor, IMO, belongs on an 80s Emmick or Margay, and not on a Rupp Dart. Thats just my opinion of course, I have seen a few pics of rear engine carts with those engines or Yamahas on the back of them and they look about at home as a Briggs flathead does, just looks odd to me with the cyl head sticking up above the seat.

I do have an engine now....yes it is new, yes it is a 4 stroke, yes it was really cheap with a nifty 20% off coupon, but I promise you it will have a look all its own when its done. With any luck it will have a noise all its own, and will have more than enough poop to push this lil guy and my middle aged butt around. I am still waiting for a few parts and am in the middle of fabbing a few parts for it, but as soon as its done, I will certainly post it up. I am trying to figure out how to ease the guys at the vintage site into me having a 4 stroke on it for now....hope they dont give me the boot....lol....I KID!!...they are actually great there and EXTREMELY knowledgeable there about old and mid aged karts. And I totally get what they want out of their site, and applaud them for it....I will be saving my pennies for a MAC..thats for sure.

Stay tuned...

slidewayz

Reaction score
Well a bunch of progress going on.

I thought I would try my hand at making the seat cover and this is my progress on that so far today.

And a motor teaser....

:)

slidewayz

Reaction score
The seat cover is just some black vinyl. The folks at the fabric store were nice enough to sell me the correct needle and thread, I am sure that made a difference. I did this on a really inexpensive Brother machine from WalMart with no walking foot. I am certain a good machine with a real walking foot would make all the difference in the world. I watched a few vids on YouTube on sewing seat covers and cushions and that was the extent of my education. Looked at lots of pics of old kart seat covers too. I am fairly happy with how its coming out so far.

And yes, for the time being Predator it is....but with a twist. I designed a few new decals for it, I fabricated an aluminum exhaust header and am making an air filter mount that looks a bit more vintage. Governor is gone, I fabbed a bracket for that little fuel tank, and Ive already had it running and it runs great and yes, its really loud. I still have to make a chain guard, too. Not too far off from its first test spin...

Thanks for staying tuned in guys!!!!

firemanjim

Just kartin' around....
Reaction score
That kart is so phenomenal, it should never be driven. Put it on a pedestal, for everyone to see. That's a work of art, not a ride on.... You took the redo to a whole new level. Had you waited a few weeks before you started,you coulda put that into the contest, and probably would have won....... Almost a sure thing.....

Status
Not open for further replies.