Rupp Dart Rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

slidewayz

Reaction score
Hello folks! Been working on this lil guy for the past week. Just got it recently and it seems to be a great little project so far. I have been told its a late 60s Rupp Dart, but not sure of much more than that. It seems fairly complete, with original pedals, steering wheel, Bendix brake with an Azusa cooling fin. Also had all 4 Rupp Grand Prix 5" wheels. I think this kart was originally equipped with a steel floor pan and seat back, which were changed along the way.
Here is how it looked when I got it home.

The underside had a lot of extra bracing added along the way and the brake had been moved inside the frame for some reason. Also a random seat cushion had been installed as well.

Digging through my shed I found an old parts and tool cart I had built during my dirt track racing days....it was a perfect fit.

More to come as the tear down begins....Stay tuned, and thanks for looking in.

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
Nice find. and Welcome to the forum. What part of the country are you from?

slidewayz

Reaction score
Nice find. and Welcome to the forum. What part of the country are you from?
Thanks. West Coast. I am really stoked about the kart. I actually raced karts as a kid. And then raced oval dirt track stock cars and open wheel cars as an adult.

This was me in 1981

And as I was digging through my storage shed today this was in a box waiting to see the light of day again...

slidewayz

Reaction score
Well tore the kart down over the week, and cut off all that extra bracing and that ugly scabbed on brake bracket.

Today I stripped the frame and started figuring out what all I am going to need to put it back together somewhat correctly.

The brake mounted right up and after straightening out the brake rod it lined right up with the pedal, no adjusting at all. I also cleaned up the rear axle so all the bearing and such slipped right on.

Installed all the front end stuff. I had to fab a new bracket for the throttle rod and its return spring, and all of that went right on with no problems. Straightened the pedals as they were in really bad shape.

And now its back to being a rolling chassis.

Next up is making some patterns for the new aluminum floor and seat back. I am going to make a Nassau panel for over the steering shaft as well. There are a ton of old screw holes and that back corner where I cut the brake bracket off that still need some welding and finishing.

Thanks again for looking in.

slidewayz

Reaction score
Update:
Dug out some .063" Aluminum and fabbed a new floor pan and seat back. I also made the Nassau panel and made a bracket for it to mount from the steering hoop.

Thanks for looking in...

slidewayz

Reaction score
Well if the planets align, and money or good fortune allow I want to paint it orange with gold pearl in the clear coat. And then add some metallic brown scallops and yellow and red lettering. Very late 60s early 70s vibe. Its a bit of an homage to my father as he used to paint and crew racecars when I was really young.

This is one he painted and crewed on and the inspiration.

Thanks for the compliments

slidewayz

Reaction score
Ordered new hardware and it showed up today. So I cleaned the rims and painted the inners, scrubbed the tires and put it all back together. Having a ton of fun so far.

....I cant wait either Justin....

& thanks for looking in Landuse...You do some awesome work yourself.

BirdFanatic

Reaction score
Ordered new hardware and it showed up today. So I cleaned the rims and painted the inners, scrubbed the tires and put it all back together. Having a ton of fun so far.

....I cant wait either Justin....

& thanks for looking in Landuse...You do some awesome work yourself.

Vintage turbine rims
You posted this in the vintage kart forum to :)

slidewayz

Reaction score
Bit more done tonight, but first, my latest find in the archives.

Yup, my tool box from 1981, and collection of gears. Still in my tool box were all my wrenches, my cylinder hone, valvespring compressor, valve lapper and chain break. Didnt see my flywheel holder and wrench though.
I think there may be one more stash of stuff.

Now, for tonights progress. I dismantled the kart again, and filled a bunch of extra holes and did a bit more work on the back bumper. I also found in my pile of odds and ends a small sheet of steel with a bunch of random louvers punched in it. Well they have found a new home. I also had this idea about the front engine mount bracket. So I removed the welded mount and added a drilled piece of flat bar, and now the motor mount will move anywhere within the frame in two inch increments.

slidewayz

Reaction score
Heres the latest...
Finally had a break in the cold and windy weather, enough to get some paint on the lil guy.
Sprayed with some etching primer and a basecoat of white.

And then for the color coat. Custom mixed orange with gold pearl. Cant wait to see it in the sunlight.

Thanks for looking in, now the real fun begins, reassembly.

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
Dude that is really nice. :thumbsup:Thanks for showing the rest of the forum that not ALL California guys are goofballs.:lolgoku:

slidewayz

Reaction score
Chancer, thanks for the compliment, or compliments :lolgoku:
BTW, really dig your karts!!!

I did a bunch tonight, and its back on all fours. I am waiting for a few more bits and pieces, so that will give me time to do the rest of the paint and lettering.
Heres the latest.

Its come a long way...Thanks for looking in....

justinlogue5_0

Can't leave it Stock!
Reaction score
Wow, I would be scared to ride that now! You might get it dirty or scratched!:smiley_omg:

Really looks good, that color really stands out! :cheers2:

Status
Not open for further replies.