Replacing gasket with Permatex?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Messages
4,636
Reaction score
4
Location
vermont
anytime... sometimes gotta think outside the box Lmao. or thats how i started up my car the other day. :auto:

It didnt work, the solenoid clicked but when the starter tried to engage the power supply would just kick off, did you wire a few of the 12v rails together? i just had one and thats only like 5 amps.
 

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Messages
4,636
Reaction score
4
Location
vermont
Alright, well i'll give that a try later, my battery is also completely flat, i mean it sat for like 2 years outside. What size power supply did you have? mine is supposedly 8amps on the yellow 12v rail and .8 amps on the brown 12v rail.
 

Rotore

Teh SPIK
Messages
1,663
Reaction score
1
Location
Caguas, Puerto Rico
Alright, well i'll give that a try later, my battery is also completely flat, i mean it sat for like 2 years outside. What size power supply did you have? mine is supposedly 8amps on the yellow 12v rail and .8 amps on the brown 12v rail.

ps2 power supply 4.5amps and an old transformer from my stereo 10-12 amps
 

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Messages
4,636
Reaction score
4
Location
vermont
Oh i have a stereo amp transformer sitting around also, i think i'll leave the computer supply on the batt all night to see if it will charge.
 

mike75925

thinker and tinkerer
Messages
1,753
Reaction score
4
Location
Alto, tx
i use shoe-box gift box or posterboard for gasket material without the oil, no problems. just don't use an area that has been bent or that is uneven!
 

jr dragster T

New member
Messages
3,966
Reaction score
8
Location
Cold place
Ohh I understand what your talking about now. I have to go cut a gasket now for my cammed 3 hp. I'll just use some cereal box cardboard with the correct thickness for my crank endplay.
 

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Messages
4,636
Reaction score
4
Location
vermont
I'm happy using the roll of gasket material my moms boyfriend gave me, it was free :thumbsup:

If i was paying for it i would just use a Coco puffs cereal box because using a cap'n crunch box would be disrespectful :roflol:

Anyways, the battery in there (which was only like a year old) wouldnt hold a charge, so i tried one that i had which was over 8 years old, and guess what...it held a charge and the mower charges on its own now too, and starts really easily.
 

jr dragster T

New member
Messages
3,966
Reaction score
8
Location
Cold place
Not to highjack this thread or anything but I just thought of a great way to trace a sidecover gasket onto the gasket materiel. Firstly for most applications I do not go out and buy the costly gasket sheets from Fel-Pro but I do have some for speicel items. I just go to the dollar store and buy a sheet of bristol board for school projects (Preferbly white). I then get the dirtyest and blackest motor oil I can find and smear it all over the gasket surface of the sidecover. I then press the cover against the white bristol board and it makes a great stain to show where to cut. Then cut out the gasket with a good razor blade and you have a great cheap/free end result. Looks good to me.

 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top