Really Slow Yamaha Banshee Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxpower49

Reaction score
Looking good, I still need my stator and clutch cover, I am going with a billet stator cover and I am going to run a lock out on my clutch so I need a bigger cover. For the most part however my engine is done and ready to fire I am still stuck waiting on my foot peg inserts for my frame then it is going in...

Also ditch the boost bottle, they do not add any power, put more stress on in the intake boots and can crack the intake and cause all sorts of issues and air leaks. Did you leak down test the motor at all, I highly recommend it before installing it especially on a fresh rebuild you do not want some small pinched gasket or rolled seal causing an air leak and melting down your engine.

Bwdeaton

Reaction score
Did not leak down test, don't have the plugs or gauges to do it available. Did a compression check and got 120 and 121, to make sure the cylinders have same for each. Have not ran it yet, I am missing the ignition coil and did not notice when ordering parts. I do have a crossover to put instead of boost bottle but it has a big dent in the end where goes into the boot. I will try to straighten or buy another. Mostly put together, just waiting for coil to do rest of plastics.

The guy I bought the crank from had a lockout clutch cover he wants to sell, since you mentioned it.

I can ask a local banshee guy if he has stuff for leakdown testing and if I can borrow it.
Here's how it's sitting for now.

Also just put new bumper on my main ride, looks great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maxpower49

Reaction score
I also have a suzuki kicking around as my main ride at the moment, I just threw some new bead locking rims on it the other day as well, I just got tired of dealing with flat tires and bead leaks all the dang time haha. As for a leak down tester you can pick up pretty much everything you need to build your own in the plumbing section, it is mostly pvc, two pipe caps, a fairly low pressure gauge and a schrader valve that can all be picked up for pretty cheap, and there are dozens of guides on how to assemble it and use it.

Attachments

• 0712161716.jpg
    0712161716.jpg
    506.4 KB · Views: 11

Bwdeaton

Reaction score
Nice ride. I'd like to have bead locks, or at least some aftermarket rims for mine, but it's not in the budget. Already have a nice set of tires to put on but wanted to get some better wheels first. I've always liked the big seats on the Suzuki quads. Also have a few Suzuki bikes, including an 85 my dad just crashed yesterday. Trying to stitch the fender back together now, but it might be too far gone.

Also just got a big gun pipe off of craigslist for the king quad, but decided I don't need to add noise without adding power so I'm waiting to find a deal on a fuel controller.

I'll see if I can come up with parts for the leakdown tester, just don't have a whole lot of money to spend now as it's tied up in projects and just paid for next semester at school. Got a bunch of stuff id like to sell though.

Bwdeaton

Reaction score
All put together with a new coil and I try to go start it up and nothing happens.

I've got no spark. This was supposed to be running before it had a crank issue, so I didn't consider the electrical stuff to have a problem. Any suggestions on what to check first on this quad? This still has tors and parking brake sensors wired up. I tried unplugging tors but it didn't help.

maxpower49

Reaction score
Hummm there are only a few things that control spark, first I would just make sure that you kill switch is working properly with a quick continuity test, then it is time to start ohm testing stuff. there is only about three or four things that control spark, and I can grab you the resistance levels out of my service manual for you shortly. You unplugged the tors bran box have you tried unplugging the parking brake, it usually acts more as a rev limiter but sometimes it can cause a no spark, do you still have the key switch?

Bwdeaton

Reaction score
Yes it has factory kill switch. I currently have the parking brake and all of the tors connections unplugged. I'll check the kill switch next. The ohm measurement would be nice to have.

Bwdeaton

Reaction score
Did the break-in over the weekend; everything went great. this thing is very fun ride. I love the feeling when the power band kicks in and you just take off. Gearing up for a trip this coming weekend should be taking that shee along with me. Built this quad for my brother to step up from a 300 EX he seems to love it too.

maxpower49

Reaction score
Good to hear man, they are really fun quads! I can't wait to get mine finished up I am still stuck on those stupid foot peg inserts, I either need to buy myself a lathe or find some one that is a little more reliable in my area to make me a set, the guy I had making me a set has forgotten about me and the guy that sells them can't seem to get any either, one $75 part is holding up progress...

Bwdeaton

Reaction score
Probably any machinist could do it for you if they have some time available to work on it. Are the threads damaged on your frame or did you just want to upgrade them? Mine peg mounds were fine.

maxpower49

Reaction score
One peg mount is ripped out, the local machine shop is all cnc and they had a bunch of bs about adding in time to design them in cad, set up time, all said and done they wanted like $200 :censored:... I am looking at a lathe some what local to me for $100 so might pick that up and make my own haha. Worst case scenario I will post an add up on craigslist and see if anyone local will whip me up a set for a decent price, they sell for $75 from the guy that sells them but I seem to be out of luck with him.

maxpower49

Reaction score
Finally have some peg inserts on their way! I figured I would get a bit of a head start on opening up the holes where I need to weld them in, the first picture shows why I had to replace them, the rear foot peg mount was ripped out sometime in the past and the longer one in front of it was actually drilled and tapped a larger size so it also had some issues at one point or another. I busted out the dremmel and a ton of grinding stones and some small cut off disks and just sat around dremmling, and dremmling, and dremmling...

The longer one in front I actually cut with a sawzal to get it as close to the frame as possible before rounding it out as much as possible, I will do the fine tuning once I have the inserts in hand to make sure I get it close enough. Once I get some more spare time it is on to the other side!!! Sigh

Attachments

• 0728161515.jpg
    0728161515.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 0729161841.jpg
    0729161841.jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 0729161935.jpg
    0729161935.jpg
    227.1 KB · Views: 7

Bwdeaton

Reaction score
I'm glad that mine were in good shape! I got this running for a pretty good price of just around $900 for the purchase and the parts and a flywheel puller tool.
I'm wanting to put on some tougher tires; the ones on it are ITP holeshots, and they grip great, but they have a lot of leaks and punctures from thorns around here. Do you think some ITP mudlites in 22x11-9 would run good? I've seen a banshee for sale that had them. They are 6 ply and have a good tread pattern for the riding around here. Would hold up a lot better and be more resistant to thorns.

Also, what color were you going to do for the frame?

maxpower49

Reaction score
Dang $900 is a pretty good deal! I bough mine as a basket case for $500 with the plans to just get it together and running quickly, that was three years ago... lol I have heard of plenty of people running itp tires with good luck, I have never really ran a set to be honest, I have some ambush tires on my ltz 400 that I bought brand new and have had some pretty good luck with those so far, they are only four ply but have withstood whatever I have thrown at them so far and they hook up awesome.

The frame is going to be a two stage powder with ink black as a base and a penny dust top coat, it will be a dark copper color with lots of metal flake in it, and the swing arm and a arms are going to stay black and I plan on coating some of the smaller stuff myself in the penny dust to match the frame and kinda bonce back and forth between copper and black.

maxpower49

Reaction score
Wooo whooo they're here!!! Now I just have a ton more dremmling to do on one side and actually starting the other then I can weld them in and it is off to powder! Welp off to the shed I go lol

Attachments

• 0801161625.jpg
    0801161625.jpg
    227.9 KB · Views: 3

Bwdeaton

Reaction score
Finally making some progress has to feel pretty good! Looking forward to pictures of the powdercoated parts. Have you done any of the parts with your kit yet?

maxpower49

Reaction score
Got the rest of the old pegs ground out, plenty of time with the dremmel but got the new ones set in place and welded up, the second side went much easier I was able to cut the welds on the front one and chisel it out and the rear I was able to drill out with a step bit. Just need to clean up where I cut some brackets off and it's off to powder!

I have powdered a couple of things, just small stuff for the z400. I am waiting until I have chosen the powder color I want at the powder shop just in case I change my mind or something and I want to make sure I get the same color powder from the same company he uses so everything matches. I finally got a full sized house oven as well to do my powdering so once I get my sand blasting cabinet set up I will be good to go.

Attachments

• 0801161914.jpg
    0801161914.jpg
    270.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 0801161914a.jpg
    0801161914a.jpg
    393.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 0801161938.jpg
    0801161938.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 7

maxpower49

Reaction score
No pictures to add on but I just felt like saying I am still alive, I spent some time removing a couple of other "useless" brackets and smoothing down where they were and I finally dropped the frame off at the powder shop yesterday!!! Going to be a couple weeks he is kinda busy but I am in no huge rush. Plenty of pictures to come when the frame and swing arm get back from the powder shop! Then it is finally time to start powdering some of my small parts and get ready for some form of assembly. Still going to be a slow build as time goes on and the budget fluctuates a bit but my end goal is to be able to ride this quad by this time next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.