Poboy's 2016-17-18-19.....??? build off entry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe-405

Enjoying New Projects
Reaction score
okay.. I'm buckled up for that bumpy ride... you may now start your engine...

'sid

PS where are the barf bags? :D

That's a nice answer sir.............. He's got to find more motivation and he's not even close to starting it. :roflol:

On a sails note I hope you finish by Halloween buddy. And good luck.

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
Soooo...picked up some parts today...didn't want to make the trip to the steel ...supplier so went to HD. While I was there looking for 200amp breakers to hook up my 110v HF welder....:oops::lolgoku:...(really checking I.D. on conduit)...I spotted some blank 4 gang cover plates! PERFECT!

The conduit also proved to be perfect, but the Poboy Fund was a lil' short!

Soooo...back home...my neighbor has a section! !!

---------- Post added at 01:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:34 PM ----------

Since both of these components are galvanized...and I'm half blind
I figured if I get really close...and breathe deep....maybe FreeRunners thread will start to make sense....

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
OK....Really? You expect Poboy to post without backup?

You Canadians....just drive south until you see a HF....and a HD should be close by...for you that are already in the U.S. a quick trip to a local HD....(and you can just borrow a tape measure off the shelf in the tool dept. ....and carry it over to electrical. Measure the I.D. of the 1 1/2" conduit....)

Hmmmmm...let's see...id of conduit...od of HF wheel hubs....:idea2:....need I draw a picture?

:furious2:

Attachments

• 14644679629390.jpg
    14644679629390.jpg
    204.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 14644679951600.jpg
    14644679951600.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 8

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
Well , I was hoping to do some work on this today....but there are thunderstorms in the area...and I have to do most of my work outside.

So...that's one reason there's more than one year in my build-off title. Besides money constraints...time is sometimes hard to come by.

Anyway...I started laying out the cover plates...(got one more pic to add.)

Attachments

• 14647223830870.jpg
    14647223830870.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 14647233136200.jpg
    14647233136200.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 9

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
You know what this things needs is a Manual Clutch!
Too bad they don't make those :( Sure would be a cool Idea.

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
You know what this things needs is a Manual Clutch!
Too bad they don't make those :( Sure would be a cool Idea.

I came across a Manuel clutch in a Target women's restroom last week!

EDIT: WAIT! !!! I saw one of those !!!!! Some glad he hater guy or something....three crappy welded pipes and you had to spin it over by hand!

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
Whatever...I'm kinda at a crossroads on the build ATM....

The conduit I got from my neighbor is bigger ID than (at least I think) that I saw at HD....Was headed there to buy some....when the "Poboy" kicked in. DADGUMMIT! i spent 20mins looking for that piece of conduit!

Oh well...I'm making progress....(baby steps)...and I'll reveal more in my "using HF wheels sticky".....but "misplacing" that conduit set me back...

I still wanna remeasure that HD conduit....I swear it was perfect....but...a Poboy ALWAYS finds a way....so...I'll probably use the free stuff!

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
OK...I'm about to go stir crazy here.... More friggin rain....rain...rain!!!!! Got a little time to play with the HF wheel yesterday with a little break in the rain and was kinda surprised at how they are put together. The hub is not welded to the flange...it simply goes through the flange and is flared over to trap it when everything is bolted together. Between that....and the bearing flange basically the other side of the hub is just a two piece rim. What I'm getting at is that I expected to take it apart and have 3 pieces but 1/2 the rim is trapped by that flange and the flare and bearing flange.

Driving the outside bearing out was easy...the inside just came apart and the race was rusted to the hub. After beating on it awhile...(to no avail) ...I grabbed the WD-40 PRO penetrating oil....and after about 15 minutes got it popped out...(told ya...the stuff is good!)

Soooo....to the bench grinder to eliminate the flange....then popped them apart. At this point ...the tube that holds the bearings is proud of the flange...so back to the bench grinder to bevel the flange remnants down just shy of level.

Then onto the belt sander to get a nice flat surface.

I now have a welding jig. BTW: I found a solution for using the oversize conduit.

Attachments

• 14649025604790.jpg
    14649025604790.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 14649025984590.jpg
    14649025984590.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 14649026211700.jpg
    14649026211700.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 4
  • 14649026377541.jpg
    14649026377541.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 4

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
Mmmmmm...I just love the smell of twice baked HF tires in the evening! Got the HF tire back in the oven at 350°f at full air pressure...(we'll see what happens! )

Well...now I know...just heard an explosion! (Still smells good though!) Back to the drawing board!

Turned the temp down to 180°f and put a just slightly deflated one in...(still playing around with this...it was probably more the air pressure than the temp that caused the failure! ) Might be making enchiladas later on...crossover cooking....Chinese Tex Mex!

Attachments

• 14650052877400.jpg
    14650052877400.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 6

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
It didn't scare me at all, actually. I wasn't even in the same room and was halfway expecting it to happen. I baked the second one for a couple of hours at that lower temp.

So....what I didn't expect was when I finally made enchiladas last night, ( did fried mushrooms and frog legs the night before instead) ...was how much rubber smell came out of that oven when it got back to 350°. BTW, the enchiladas taste fine!
On a side note....my oven light is out. Coincidence? :lolgoku: ...so I need a new appliance bulb.

I'm really kinda thinking I might even abandon the whole HF idea at this point. It's a lot of time and effort just to make one last a little longer and prove that even improved they aren't worth it.

I'm thinking I can use the hub parts somewhere else anyway...and they will be fine! (It's the rubber part I know is going to fail no matter what I do.)

(I was going to fill it with insulating foam so it would keep going when the tread went away...)

Status
Not open for further replies.