please give advise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

WHIMPEYROSS

Reaction score
Ok so here's problem, i have everything you need to build a go kart. I have the welder, all the s/s tubing, pipe, flat bar, round rod is free from work, because it's all scrap!! anyway i have a 5 hp. briggs motor 3/4" shaft. so here is my question, how many teeth on clutch should i have. and how many teeth on the wheel sprocket should i have? also tire size will be around 6" or 7".

any help or advise would be Awesome!!

STreetKArt

_______
Reaction score
my kart is a 12 tooth and a 54 tooth and thats using a 40/41 type chain and sprockets
oo and get a hilliard extreme duty clutch there the best for the money i think i paid 40 two 45 $ for mine on ebay but
right now there going for 37.97 and 6.99 shipping
unless your going to spend 200$ this is a great clutch!!
ebay is great for buying kart parts!!!
note: the hilliard clutchs are very quiet when running they dont make weird noises like spring types.
i bet you think im tring to sell you some thing lol

r_chez_08

Should be in the shop...
Reaction score
you could go 30 with current setup, pushing the engine hard, if you had a 20t clutch and 60t sprocket on axle, but it would have low torque, and would only work on flat.

i would get some bigger wheels of 10-15", then you could have a 15t clutch and 60-70t sprocket on axle, but its up to you, and also depends what is availabl to you

my setup is going to be a 5.5hp 160cc engine with 15t clutch and 65t sprocket on axle, which will get me going about 25-30mph:auto:

i think as you already have the engine, unless you are willing to buy a new engine, i would stick with it

WHIMPEYROSS

Reaction score
well i don't have the engine yet, i was bidding on it through ebay... but i don't think i'm going to get it, i was out bid. so i think ill be looking for a 5.5 hp motor.

WHIMPEYROSS

Reaction score
expect more questions from me!! lol
but how would i attach the sprocket to the wheel?
I'm making it one wheel drive.
can anyone post some pics?

Thanks again!

oscaryu1

Reaction score
Vague pictures, but it might help:

oscaryu1

Reaction score
great pics, but do i drill holes through the rim to mount the sprocket?

You don't drill holes. There's like a connecting piece, it connects the wheel on one side (there's a bearing in it), and other side connects the disc (then bolts), then the brake drum (then second set of bolts), slide onto kart, attach chain, drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.