New build in progress

WillMatrix

Reaction score
Just showing you guys what I been up too.

I ran across some spider kart website and bought a few plans and I did some alterations. I’m still new to welding but I’m loving it and kind of addicted. Here is some pics and although I’m not done give me a little love on my first attempt at a go kart

Attachments

• 984836BE-EFBC-4F7A-8B73-0048316EB5F0.jpeg
    984836BE-EFBC-4F7A-8B73-0048316EB5F0.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 37
  • 6DC12836-CC26-49AB-9662-73C4AEEBC274.jpeg
    6DC12836-CC26-49AB-9662-73C4AEEBC274.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 38
  • 2AE17374-0B23-4007-A765-A469ED3F48AE.jpeg
    2AE17374-0B23-4007-A765-A469ED3F48AE.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 36

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Okay, congrats and good luck on finding a great hobby to enjoy. Feel the love. Now...............
I'm really concerned about the 2 little bars sticking out of each front side in a horizontal plane with the wheels attached to them. Hoping when you're done playing with the controls you'll be going back and adding the bracing to each side that will keep both from folding up like a green stick.

WillMatrix

Reaction score
Okay, congrats and good luck on finding a great hobby to enjoy. Feel the love. Now...............
I'm really concerned about the 2 little bars sticking out of each front side in a horizontal plane with the wheels attached to them. Hoping when you're done playing with the controls you'll be going back and adding the bracing to each side that will keep both from folding up like a green stick.
What do you mean? Can you give me an example of the type of bracing your mentioning

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
It looks like without any wheels on the frame, the frame itself could just lay flat on the floor, be 1" tall. If those 2 pieces of tubing welded to each of the front right and front left sides as "wheel supports" are a part of that flat frame layout the way it looks in the pics, then the only connection points are the 2 points on each side where the ends of those pieces are welded to the frame.
I could jump on the front of that frame with wheels on it and fold those wheel supports upward with just my body weight. The flat triangles you've made have great rigidity against motion in any horizontal plane, but no rigidity vertically beyond the little weld connections at all. Enter "building gokarts" in the Youtube search bar, and just scan around looking at other front ends. There has to be some support above or below the horizontal plane to resist motion in the vertical plane.

Last edited:

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Just took a look at Tarantula plans, calls for 1.25" square 14 gauge steel tube, is that what you used? Looks like just 1".
I know the plans show a flat layout like you made, but it would definitely have to be at least the 1.25" and be full welded on all 4 sides of the tubes before I'd believe that even with the short spread that the stuff wouldn't be foldable. Maybe I'm just a godzilla.

WillMatrix

Reaction score
Just took a look at Tarantula plans, calls for 1.25" square 14 gauge steel tube, is that what you used? Looks like just 1".
I know the plans show a flat layout like you made, but it would definitely have to be at least the 1.25" and be full welded on all 4 sides of the tubes before I'd believe that even with the short spread that the stuff wouldn't be foldable. Maybe I'm just a godzilla.
Yes it is the tarantula but the plan calls for 1x1. I jumped on them and they seem pretty steady but please give me all the extra input. Do you possibly have a drawing that I could look at to make sense of what your telling me?

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Actual plans for the Tarantula must be different than the sales page I saw when looking up their website. Look at the page that I saw on the link below and you'll see the 5th line down of the 8 features listed calls for the 1.25" square 14 gauge.
Tarantula Go Kart Plans (spidercarts.com)
Start watching the video link below at about 5 min. 20 sec. (5:20) into it for one type of reinforcement using gussets on his spindles, which had only been welded on in one spot. He puts on 1 vertical and 2 horizontal gussets with full welds.
Strengthening my Go Kart Front End (Part 2) - YouTube
Now look at the video link below starting at about 8:50 of RBG adding a dual-purpose gusset where it looks strong enough already as a stand-alone. The spindle bracket is welded to the bottom of the frame tube, and he welds a gusset to the top of the frame tube. Even though it's just a flat piece of steel, being angled to the bracket gives it resistance bracing in the vertical plane via triangulation, while the horizontal plane is strengthened by the shape of the gusset alone as it would be if only used for that one purpose the way most are.
Street Go Kart Steering and Frame Extending - YouTube

Last edited:

WillMatrix

Reaction score
Actual plans for the Tarantula must be different than the sales page I saw when looking up their website. Look at the page that I saw on the link below and you'll see the 5th line down of the 8 features listed calls for the 1.25" square 14 gauge.
Tarantula Go Kart Plans (spidercarts.com)
Start watching the video link below at about 5 min. 20 sec. (5:20) into it for one type of reinforcement using gussets on his spindles, which had only been welded on in one spot. He puts on 1 vertical and 2 horizontal gussets with full welds.
Strengthening my Go Kart Front End (Part 2) - YouTube
Now look at the video link below starting at about 8:50 of RBG adding a dual-purpose gusset where it looks strong enough already as a stand-alone. The spindle bracket is welded to the bottom of the frame tube, and he welds a gusset to the top of the frame tube. Even though it's just a flat piece of steel, being angled to the bracket gives it resistance bracing in the vertical plane via triangulation, while the horizontal plane is strengthened by the shape of the gusset alone as it would be if only used for that one purpose the way most are.
Street Go Kart Steering and Frame Extending - YouTube
I’m going to check all of that out. Thank you for the info

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Outstanding advice on the addition of an upper frame, if it's a truss frame and not a ladder frame. What makes it right is the one main difference between a truss frame and a ladder frame.
A truss frame is stronger by far simply by having the short pieces between the upper and lower rails being welded in solidly in opposing diagonals. A ladder frame has straight pieces between the rails, and can rack into distortion easily. A truss frame is so rigid and inflexible it's basically bulletproof, and therefore can be made out of quite light materials without sacrificing rigidity.
Any gokart that ever does a wheelie should have a truss frame for the long rail sections.

WillMatrix

Reaction score
So here is a update!

I it’s all painted and after my son kind of tore it up I put it back together and used blue loctite on the screws that shook loose from vibration.

now I have been riding it and let me tell you this thing is pretty sturdy and I’m proud for my first build. On a flat road and a very small incline I topped out at 35MPH. I’m looking to move up to a stage 2

Attachments

• 6C609669-9B14-401A-94EE-8A3BC210BC4B.jpeg
    6C609669-9B14-401A-94EE-8A3BC210BC4B.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 16

Functional Artist

Reaction score
So here is a update!

I it’s all painted and after my son kind of tore it up I put it back together and used blue loctite on the screws that shook loose from vibration.

now I have been riding it and let me tell you this thing is pretty sturdy and I’m proud for my first build. On a flat road and a very small incline I topped out at 35MPH. I’m looking to move up to a stage 2
Yea, baby! :wai:
...that's what's it's all about :cheers2:

Well, done! :thumbsup:

Um...only (1) pic :huh:
...we want more pics
...we want more pics :useless:

...we want more pics :drool5:

WillMatrix

Reaction score
Sweet ya'll have fun!
Yea, baby! :wai:
...that's what's it's all about :cheers2:

Well, done! :thumbsup:

Um...only (1) pic :huh:
...we want more pics
...we want more pics :useless:

...we want more pics :drool5:
It means a lot coming from you guys. I’m going to upload more pics tomorrow. Side note: the band brakes aren’t as bad as I thought. The screech is little annoying but it gets the kart to stop

WillMatrix

Reaction score
Band brakes are actually pretty "powerful", if set up correctly :thumbsup:
...& super simple (like karts are supposed to be)

I've used 'em on many karts :cheers2:
Hydraulic brakes seems like toooo much math for me but when I get my tube bender I will incorporate them into my cross kart attempt. I will reach out to you for so many of my bend questions