New build! And i am a TOTAL newbie

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
I have broken my thumbs lots of times. When I was 11 I was rebuilding my 69 ct70h replacing the tires, cables and whatever else. The tires used to get stuck on the rims on the early ones for some reason. I broke my thumb and split my buckle bone 3 separate times with a hammer and dull chisel. All within a day or 2 from getting my last cast off. Miserable summer. Finally got the tire changed day before school started.

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Any experienced opinions out there about Harbor Freight $40 tire changer? Have my first 1-piece rims now (2 full sets 8"), expecting difficulties.

sublimely25

Reaction score
Alrighty, closest I have been yet. Motor is in, everything hooked up, put a torque converter on it. The problem is that either the clutch is kicking in too soon or not at all. I tried loosening the nut on the back pulley and now it wont engage at all. I wonder if I have a faulty torque converter? This is the last piece of the puzzle in getting the kids on it.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Do not loosen the nut! Retighten it. Have you tried driving it yet? Running it on just jackstands will not tell the story.

sublimely25

Reaction score
Yeah when I first tried it, it was moving just starting it. And was hard as heck to turn over. Got in it and it was moving but nothing like I would imagine it to be moving, got out and pushed it back to the house. The belt already started wearing on the side towards the motor. It seems to me the belt looks bigger than it should be but again I am a newbie and dont know what the heck I'm doing.

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
I'd only expect a belt to wear only on the motor side of TC if it was a standard V-belt, as that would apply frictional force equally on both sides of the V-shaped sides of belt. Out-of-alignment pulleys would cause belt wear in that situation.
An asymmetrical belt that's nearly vertical on the motor side applies frictional force almost exclusively on the side away from the motor, and is the only kind I've had actual experience with.
If an asymmetrical belt is put on backwards, it would certainly wear badly on the side closest to the motor in that application, and I'm not sure it would even be able to move reasonably well like that.

sublimely25

Reaction score
I think i will take the TC back off and put it back on the make sure I didnt miss anything in the process

sublimely25

Reaction score
Take some "before" pics of that TC for us, and some overall pics around the whole drivetrain.
I went ahead and sent the TC back. I ordered one from GPS so I am hoping this will do the trick. I will take pics of the process of putting it back on too. Thanks Denny and MadProf

Ronin8451

Reaction score
I wish I had seen this earlier. I bought a bunch of hex axles from Gopowersports when they were moving into the new warehouse. They are 48 inches long and been selling for $25 each .

sublimely25

Reaction score
Yeah that TC seemed to have been the culprit. Got a new one from GPS today got it all put back together. Pulled smooth to start, idled without lunging, set the idle speed and clutch is engaging when pulling on throttle. It seems to be working properly. Tomorrow will be the road test. Wish me luck. Thanks again to all that have responded in getting this thing up and running. PUMPED!!! NEXT Project is a Chinese 70cc with a bum motor....anyone anyone...lol

sublimely25

Reaction score
With great power comes great responsibility... lol btw, everything is running smooth and the boys have been on it all day! Just a few bolt tightnings... may end up needing to get new front wheels. Lol let the nickel and diming commence. Lol

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
About those bolts vibrating loose.............I know everybody uses and believes in lockwashers, but I'm more OCD than that.
I double-nut every single bolt that I possibly can, even get longer bolts so I can get the 2 nuts on it.
2 wrenches on it, snugged up good and tight to each other, and not a single one of them will ever vibrate loose, where lockwashers might.