New build! And i am a TOTAL newbie

sublimely25

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I picked up a (I believe) is a Manco 2 seat frame. It has a 7/8 hex axle with the sprocket and brake disc, but little to nothing else. The wheels were welded on for some reason and the guy that sold me the frame cut the wheels of and about 9 inches of the axle on each side. I am brand new to building go karts. where should I start. My thought is to replace the axle but how do I know what axle to buy? I know I am going to put a predator engine in it. It doesnt have any of the front spindles or rods but does have a steering wheel and column. Help!!

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Go to Go-Power Sports website and just look around and do research. Then hit BMI and other sites. You’ll thank me later.

sublimely25

Reaction score
Thanks Denny, would it be a cheaper build to just replace the whole rear axle to round? Since this is my first go round I want to make this build as easy as possible.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Now you are asking good questions. Kind of a teach a man to fish thing. Yes go to a round axle. There are many more parts available. Can you weld and fabricate? You will be able to if you stay in this hobby. Look around the different forums, do research.

OPmini

moo
Reaction score
Now you are asking good questions. Kind of a teach a man to fish thing. Yes go to a round axle. There are many more parts available. Can you weld and fabricate? You will be able to if you stay in this hobby. Look around the different forums, do research.
Pretty solid advice, ebay is also a good source of parts, and if you don't weld you'll need to learn how to in order to be successful in this hobby :)

sublimely25

Reaction score
Pretty solid advice, ebay is also a good source of parts, and if you don't weld you'll need to learn how to in order to be successful in this hobby :)
Yeah I never welded a day in my life. Lol. Looks like I am going into many new universes here Haha. Thanks for the help everyone! I will pop back in to show progress (hopefully progress).

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
If you plan to drill holes and bolt everything together you'll tire of it very quickly, and still there's some welding that must be included.
If you didn't already have a frame I'd say go to youtube and type "wooden gokarts" in the search bar.

sublimely25

Reaction score
How long of an axle kit should I get? The old hex one was probably 45 inches with the wheels. I can't seem to find an axle kit that long on amazon.

ThunderKart79

Reaction score
The good things is that the same cassettes hold 1” or 7/8 bearings and since you need rims anyway it will be a million times easier to go the 1” route
Like Denny said do some research the hexagon axel is strong but a lot harder to find parts for I have a mannco twin seat so you you just need an axle bearings rims hubs 4x4 rims and hubs and a new disc and hub and gear and hub it seems like a lot but I went down the hex rabbit hole and after several hundred dollars I am going to go to a 1 1/4 axel anyway and if you buy a 110volt flux core welder and watch some instructural videos on YouTube it is not hard to teach yourself to weld just make sure you don’t buy an a/c welder make sure the words inverter are somewhere on the welder and watch several videos from different people

sublimely25

Reaction score
The good things is that the same cassettes hold 1” or 7/8 bearings and since you need rims anyway it will be a million times easier to go the 1” route
Like Denny said do some research the hexagon axel is strong but a lot harder to find parts for I have a mannco twin seat so you you just need an axle bearings rims hubs 4x4 rims and hubs and a new disc and hub and gear and hub it seems like a lot but I went down the hex rabbit hole and after several hundred dollars I am going to go to a 1 1/4 axel anyway and if you buy a 110volt flux core welder and watch some instructural videos on YouTube it is not hard to teach yourself to weld just make sure you don’t buy an a/c welder make sure the words inverter are somewhere on the welder and watch several videos from

sublimely25

Reaction score
This is all hugely helpful. How long of an axle did you get? Also, I will need wheels and spindles for front, I have no clue which ones to buy. Since you have this frame any help you can offer up would be amazing! I have been researching for hours and not coming up with a whole lot of information, I am even going to need the connector bolts for the frame to roll cage. Starting from dang near scratch.. thanks for all the help yall, seriously!

ThunderKart79

Reaction score
I am still in the process of buying stuff to switch but a 40” to 42” fits mine i will take some pictures when I get home go power sports has good info on the mannco carts mine is an express magnum something like a 606 series if you look at the bottom of the page on go power site it says something like parts breakdown and remember mannco 606 that should get you started

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
If you can post some pics showing good shots of the rear and front ends we can help more. Need to see good shots of where the wheels should be, especially since you need spindles.
In agreement with Thunderkart about 4x4 rims (4 lugs on 4" bolt circle) and on an inverter welder.
Personally more of a fan of 1" solid axles instead of 1 1/4". More hubs available, just went through all that. Solid brake discs also, but using hubs for brake discs and sprockets is easy either way.
Flux core welders aren't my favorite. As you're a new welder, I recommend a 110 volt stick welder. My Klutch 110v. 80 amp inverter welder is from Northern Tool, also does TIG welding if you buy the needed accessories. They're selling an Ironton right now that's basically the same unit for $90. Note: When buying welding rods, just make sure the amp range is on the package, and it will work with your maximum amps. I like E6013 rods that are the 3/32 size and rated 70-120 amps for my 80 amp welder.

ThunderKart79

Reaction score
If you can post some pics showing good shots of the rear and front ends we can help more. Need to see good shots of where the wheels should be, especially since you need spindles.
In agreement with Thunderkart about 4x4 rims (4 lugs on 4" bolt circle) and on an inverter welder.
Personally more of a fan of 1" solid axles instead of 1 1/4". More hubs available, just went through all that. Solid brake discs also, but using hubs for brake discs and sprockets is easy either way.
Flux core welders aren't my favorite. As you're a new welder, I recommend a 110 volt stick welder. My Klutch 110v. 80 amp inverter welder is from Northern Tool, also does TIG welding if you buy the needed accessories. They're selling an Ironton right now that's basically the same unit for $90. Note: When buying welding rods, just make sure the amp range is on the package, and it will work with your maximum amps. I like E6013 rods that are the 3/32 size and rated 70-120 amps for my 80 amp welder.
The flux core is easier but you will get better welds with the stick also yes the 1 1/4 does not have a ton off choices and if you were to buy a 7/8 hexagon they are $100 you can get a good 1” for $50 or $60

sublimely25

Reaction score
Okay so attached are the pics. After closer look the sprocket, brake disk and bearings appear to be welded to the axle, not sure why but none the less here ya go also the bearing holders(?) Arent even bolted to the frame. I think I will have to cut this axle apart to get it out.

Attachments

• 20210408_142916.jpg
    20210408_142916.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 16
  • 20210408_142910.jpg
    20210408_142910.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 15
  • 20210408_142758.jpg
    20210408_142758.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 15
  • 20210408_142650.jpg
    20210408_142650.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 13
  • 20210408_142713.jpg
    20210408_142713.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 13
  • 20210408_142703.jpg
    20210408_142703.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 13
  • 20210408_142723.jpg
    20210408_142723.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 13
  • 20210408_142738.jpg
    20210408_142738.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 15

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Axle's too short, bearings are garbage round holes with hex axle inserted, brake caliper is missing, leading arm spindles are missing, gas and brake pedals and throttle cable are missing, conduit couplings for pedal pivots, spindle brackets appear to have no caster, a wheel has a piece of cut off axle sticking out of it and may have hexagonal hub, whole frame needs to be sanded to the steel then be primed and painted. Is there a steering wheel on top of that steering shaft?
Other than that you've got a lot to start a project with. Be afraid. Then hero up and save that rotting pumpkin.
Looks like sprocket hub and brake disc are held on with split hub-collar screw and setscrews respectively. Throw out bearings with the axle.
Measure the frame width, let us know. You'll add something like 16" to that to get a 1" solid steel round axle with full length keyway.
Measure the inside height of your spindle brackets to make sure the new spindles will fit in them.
Hold off on getting tierods until spindles are mounted, to get a good measurement from spindle arm to pitman arm.
Get an engine. Get a helmet. Get insurance.

sublimely25

Reaction score
Axle's too short, bearings are garbage round holes with hex axle inserted, brake caliper is missing, leading arm spindles are missing, gas and brake pedals and throttle cable are missing, conduit couplings for pedal pivots, spindle brackets appear to have no caster, a wheel has a piece of cut off axle sticking out of it and may have hexagonal hub, whole frame needs to be sanded to the steel then be primed and painted. Is there a steering wheel on top of that steering shaft?
Other than that you've got a lot to start a project with. Be afraid. Then hero up and save that rotting pumpkin.
Looks like sprocket hub and brake disc are held on with split hub-collar screw and setscrews respectively. Throw out bearings with the axle.
Measure the frame width, let us know. You'll add something like 16" to that to get a 1" solid steel round axle with full length keyway.
Measure the inside height of your spindle brackets to make sure the new spindles will fit in them.
Hold off on getting tierods until spindles are mounted, to get a good measurement from spindle arm to pitman arm.
Get an engine. Get a helmet. Get insurance.
I mean, daaaannnng. Lol yeah I figured I would lose the whole axle, junk but, I have faith. Lol.. the round hole and hex makes sense now as to why they welded everything in. I do have a steering wheel, the brake rod and I think the rest of the caliper is in the box o parts. I paid 150 for the frame and I think that was worth it plus he gave me a Chinese ATV, that I am also buying parts for. Argh, things we do for our kids! I think the hub for the sprocket is also welded to the hex so i would assume that i will need the whole axle and everything else. Where I get all turned around is what sprocket with what clutch with what bearing, how many hangers, hubs, and spacers. Anyone wanna hook me up with a parts list that will all fit? Ha

sublimely25

Reaction score
I am hoping that I will not need to weld but I am willing to give it a go if I need to to make it work