My go kart stops idling when i put it on the ground

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
I want to help, but I'd feel like I'm just taking the bait??
No bait and switch, just a bunch of jokers here.

Help is needed.

buttetbags’ clutch is constantly engaged.
The engine idle speed (luckily) is low enough to cause the engine to die when the load is put on the engine (wheels on the ground).

I said luckily because if the idle speed is too high, the kart would just go for a joy ride by itself once the wheels hit the ground.

There is probably an issue with the gear ratio and type of driving that will continue to burn up clutches. Can part swap the clutch, or fix the problem.

LVScottT

Reaction score
Guys, it's obviously a grounding issue. The wires from the kill switch are shorting to the back axle.

OK, seriously, when lifted & idling, are the back wheels turning? If they are, then your clutch is engaging at too low of rpm. Check for a loose or missing spring.

butterbagz

Reaction score
Come awn guys....
Obviously its carb jetting. It runs better at higher altitudes and dies on the ground. The height difference is causing it to lean out on the ground, when it is lifted up the thinner air hits that magic 14.7 stoichiometric mixture mixture thing. I think a holley 750 should cure the problem.

Disclaimer:
Don't believe this joker.
I had a really rusty clutch

butterbagz

Reaction score
Guys, it's obviously a grounding issue. The wires from the kill switch are shorting to the back axle.

OK, seriously, when lifted & idling, are the back wheels turning? If they are, then your clutch is engaging at too low of rpm. Check for a loose or missing spring.
Issue solved clutch was really rusty got a new one