my first build thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
Ok with the steering wheel pointed straight. The steering arms. (attached to the spindles, where the tie rods bolt on.
They should be of equal lengths. They also for correct Ackerman should follow an imaginary line from the center of the spindle bolt to the center of the rear axle. See Pic

Attachments

• ack arms.jpg
    ack arms.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 2

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
Also looking at your signature line.
What did one hat say to the other?
You stay here I am gonna go on ahead!
lol

michaelcorp

Reaction score
haha! yeah...Thanks for the info hey...

---------- Post added at 08:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:25 AM ----------

Chancer is it a necessity to do caster and camber aswell? or is it just to add or help with steering issues ?

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
It helps if you have a live axle. They tend to want to continue to go straight when you turn. Makes steering easier on asphalt. If done right it causes "Frame Jacking". which actually lifts the inner rear wheel allowing better handling in hard cornering. Google it.'
I don't think it is all necessary. I did a bunch of research and wanted to try doing what I did.
I also had help from a former member.
Some is needed but I don't know exactly. There are not a lot of discussions here on the topic. and mine is yet untested.

michaelcorp

Reaction score
steering probs

Aaaah i see,ok thanks again mate will have a look at that,although i did notice my spindle arms are in a straight position and most of it on google and so on got there spindles at an angle.ill have that sorted in a while cause im buzy sorting out the motor.Need to bend my pipe for exhaust and fit flench, also i am having trouble fiting my carb as i dont have a foot piece and making 1 myself.

MrC.

Reaction score
Not to complicate things but a simple pivot of the front beam axle creates weight jacking also.
I did not realize it or understand it until now.
my one wheel drive kart lifts the rear tires when cornering hard its tolerable but lifts the drive tire when turning left which slow me down but if it had a live axle it would have power on the opposite side.

Thus weight jacking the 3 other tires mainly the outside front wheel of the turn your in left or right.
the front beam has a 5/8 bolt and bushing in the center and two outer limiters so you dont bottom out the frame.
look close at the black front beam the pivot is under the steering mount.

Mrc.

Attachments

• 20160529_231036.jpg
    20160529_231036.jpg
    307.5 KB · Views: 9

michaelcorp

Reaction score
steering problem found

Ok so after looking and reading whole night through some of the links landuse has shared with me,i got alittle understanding.

however after close inspection on my front end pics ive noticed something is out...

just need to add this. its way better to have pics taken of your front end of kart then judging with the eye...pics allow you to see more in the steering prob.try it sometime and see how it works for you.

Ok on to the culprit.pic below shows the more or less % my wheels are out and the cause of why i cant turn:mad2:

see how the red circled wheel turns halfway and black circled wheel is locked

Thus causes a almost like drag or pull when i turn...once my cars alignment was out and i almost got the same effect

but anyhow that needs to get sorted:2guns:

Attachments

• 20 prob.jpg
    20 prob.jpg
    320.7 KB · Views: 9

MrC.

Reaction score
Is the frame square? Are the tie rods the same lenght?
Are the steering arms the same lenght? Is the hole for the tie rods bolt the same distance from the so I Dale?
Which the left and right tie rods and see if the issue switches sides? Something looks out may be the angle of one of your c brackets is pitched the wrong way or something. After you figure out what is wrong right to left. You may consider moving the steering mount or column its good if your tie rods are straight and parallel as in a straight line from the steering arm to steering mount to other steering arm. There stronger and less sloppy if its a straight line.
check the squareness of the frame and pickup points first.
MrC.

michaelcorp

Reaction score

Is the frame square? Yes

Are the tie rods the same lenght? Yes

Are the steering arms the same lenght? Yes

Is the hole for the tie rods bolt the same distance from the so I Dale?
Which the left and right tie rods and see if the issue switches sides? Im not sure but i assume it should be?

Something looks out may be the angle of one of your c brackets is pitched the wrong way or something. After you figure out what is wrong right to left. You may consider moving the steering mount or column its good if your tie rods are straight and parallel as in a straight line from the steering arm to steering mount to other steering arm. There stronger and less sloppy if its a straight line.
check the squareness of the frame and pickup points first.
MrC.

Thank you very much for the input ill check everything today and tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.