my first build thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

michaelcorp

Reaction score
:welcome2: to my thread guys.this is my first ever build and my first thread after long hours of research and reading.the setup i liked and viewed the most was a track/racing kart.here in port elizabeth we had a circuit for indoor karting at algoa grand prix.that was the best track ive driven on and those 250cc engines use to go fast...after some time the place closed down,why i have no idea...anyways thats where i got the idea of a track kart,it looks cool in anyway.so after a couple of years later i eventualy started my own track kart although i wont race on a track but wil be plenty of fun for.so i got to start with my research and got a parts list.this forum gave me ALOT of info by just reading lol,then i started geting parts.a friend of mine had a small 4 wheeler called a bulldog? (never heared of it) and wanted R500 for it.it had a 49cc 2stroke engine and rest of the bike was in a great condition.the motor casing broke after a couple of runs and left it at that.so i decided i can use some parts of my 4 wheeler for my kart like the steering and rack ends and wheels and some piping...so i just bought some 25x3mm wall thickness squirtubing and worked out a building plan.AGAIN this forum was very helpfull and google pics.here is a guy here named anderkart?...a kart he bought showed some sizes and measurements so i worked for that and started my build...this is how far i got with my build and will post more pics as i progress in time...so to some guys that may need any help on building plans,ask here or pm me and maybe i can help as i knew nothing about this but found my way around it and know afew tricks now.thanx guys...some pics will be up later tonight

michaelcorp

Reaction score
So this is the wheels that I'll be using on my kart.not to sure if they will work but I'll try

Attachments

• IMG_20160127_211101.jpg
    IMG_20160127_211101.jpg
    258.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20160127_210902.jpg
    IMG_20160127_210902.jpg
    275.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20160127_210838.jpg
    IMG_20160127_210838.jpg
    283.3 KB · Views: 5

michaelcorp

Reaction score
Ok so the engine plan i had didnt work out as planned BUT i went over to a dealer shop named lownmowers pe and lucky for me they have got a couple of engines there ranging from 50cc up to 340cc...the engine i looked at was a 196cc honda clone engine and to my suprise its not so pricey...in any case i have a question if anyone can answer please do.how would a centrifugal clutch work on that engine? And does the clutch come with a sproket aswell? Any help and advice would be appreciated

michaelcorp

Reaction score
Yeah i was short of a grand so ill go pick it up the engine the end of the month...Ive got i really nice blue candy paint by my bro inlaw...**** im inlove with that colour and it will look perfect on my kart...This wkend ill prep it and paint the basecoat white i have and leave it to cure for a couple of days then flat it smooth and paint the candy!!!:wai:

landuse

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah i was short of a grand so ill go pick it up the engine the end of the month...Ive got i really nice blue candy paint by my bro inlaw...**** im inlove with that colour and it will look perfect on my kart...This wkend ill prep it and paint the basecoat white i have and leave it to cure for a couple of days then flat it smooth and paint the candy!!!:wai:

Just remember....painting is the last thing you do. Otherwise you mess the paint work up if you still have more work to do on the frame

michaelcorp

Reaction score
Just remember....painting is the last thing you do. Otherwise you mess the paint work up if you still have more work to do on the frame

haha i totaly forgot i must still get a seat...any ideas as to how or what i can use? I like those seats on the racing karts,wouldnt mind for one...

---------- Post added at 02:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:08 PM ----------

ill upload a pic of the paint tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.