My 2 vintage race Kart chassis elect. conversion winter projects.

KMEFA

Reaction score
''Thanks'' . :)

I think it will do a bit better than that.
That's more feasible going up a hill.
When I said 35,, that's ''max'' - free roll'n.

You also have to remember that these Karts are going to be ''way'' lighter than yours, & powered by BM1109's, not MY1020''s.

I have already done BLDC conversions & builds on 2 Minibikes,, & understand of have more rolling resistance with 2 more wheels on a kart ect.,, & also used that in my figures.

Got my ''Bare'' frame sanded down, & I don't think it even weighs 30lbs..

Also,,
Both 13s 4p ''12ah ea''. - 3000ma cell packs, ''together in parallel'' ,, probably weigh as much as 1 of your LA batteries.

The way it's looking now, my Kart AUW should be less than 110lbs.

We shall see . ;)

I

Last edited:

KMEFA

Reaction score
Just came up with a ''super slick'' king pin innovation for my ''Wile - E''. :p

Being that it is going to be a street cruiser, I knew it would be best to lower the king pin/spindle's pretty much as far down as the would go in the yokes, for best road clearance.

As I was mostly an auto tech my whole working life,, I acquired ''a lot'' of cool little parts & hardware over the ''many'' years...…

I found these choice little ''urethane'' automotive sway bar link bushings in one of my ''many'' selector drawers.

The I.D. on them is 3/8, & the king pin bolts fit in them nice & snug. :)

I cut off the flange collars of them with an X-acto - ''hobby'' balsa saw,, which works great on this stuff.

The collars will also be used later for spacers on something else.

They fit about perfect with milling the faces of them, just ''enough'' to slip in a ''thin'' stainless washer between the top bearing & bushing,, & the bottom bearing & yoke.

Another couple of bonuses with these bushings are,,

They will aid in a wee bit of dampening.;)

They don't weigh ''Jack squat'',, unlike the bazillion stacks of washers. LOL

I
100_6425.JPG100_6427.JPG

Last edited:

KMEFA

Reaction score
Been busy refurbishing parts on my Buddy ''Fred's'' Margay.
I made the alum. Master cyl. lid by hand.
100_6433.JPG
100_6434.JPG
100_6436.JPG

KMEFA

Reaction score
For kicks & doodles,, I did a - ''slight'' - rough assy. lay up on my ''Wile - E'', this eve.,, with ''existing'' parts.
My Buddy & I made a big order the other day,, & should see that early next week.
Hope to paint my frame here in the next week or so,, & then start doing some final assy. ;)

I

100_6439.JPG

Last edited:

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
Sure does look a whole lot nicer than my race kart! Also, funny to note, you post a lot like Kevin (Functional Artist). Seriously, when I read through this I almost thought it was him, you type the same way! :lolgoku:

KMEFA

Reaction score
Sure does look a whole lot nicer than my race kart! Also, funny to note, you post a lot like Kevin (Functional Artist). Seriously, when I read through this I almost thought it was him, you type the same way! :lolgoku:
I hope that's a compliment . ''LOL'' :p

Might see parts tomorrow,, & also hope to get some paint on my frame yet this week. ;)

EpsilonZero

...still cheaper than a boat!
Reaction score
For kicks & doodles,, I did a - ''slight'' - rough assy. lay up on my ''Wile - E'', this eve.,, with ''existing'' parts.
My Buddy & I made a big order the other day,, & should see that early next week.
Hope to paint my frame here in the next week or so,, & then start doing some final assy. ;)

I

View attachment 124811

It looks pretty fast already. Are you sure you need the rest of the parts? :love:

KMEFA

Reaction score
Got my first base/ primer coat on the other day.

Already have it dressed, contoured - sanded down,, & ready for the 2nd coat.

Final will be ''candy blue raz metallic'' . ;)

100_6454.JPG

Last edited:

KMEFA

Reaction score
Cleaned & reworked the seat post mounts, & cut down & profiled the seat to my liking.
''Took well over a lb. of weight out of the seat.'' ;)
I then did a temporary mock up placement of the seat & hardware.
Figure I better do that before laying more paint down on the frame.

Also plan on painting the seat with matt black, or semi gloss ..

I also cut down & modified the motor mount, for clearance ect. from the right side seat post assy.
100_6464.JPG
100_6463.JPG100_6462.JPG

KMEFA

Reaction score
Made some progress …
Went & picked up some new hardware, & bolted a few things together.
Cut & dressed off 2 1/2 inches per side of the axel.
It's now 35''.
Also made the right cassette hanger/axel support brace out of aluminum.
Bottom's also painted with left over blue,, just gott'a find a decent day to paint the rest with the really cool color. ;)
100_6466.JPG100_6467.JPG

KMEFA

Reaction score
My Grant steering wheel arrived the other day from E - bay & it was pretty jacked up. :rolleyes:
Foam rubber seams were not finished, & had a bunch of excess ect.
I also ordered silver spokes, & they sent me black.
They refunded my money & let me keep the wheel,, so I ground off the paint, trimmed & dressed the foam rubber,, & spiffed the spokes up.
Also,, there was no holes in it, just the 3 long gated slots.
I ''hand drilled'' & finished the center hole plus the 6 spoke holes.
Think it turned out pretty pimp, plus it's a bit lighter now. ;)
100_6478 (2).JPG

Last edited:

Budget GoKart

Aka a kenbar
Reaction score
good deal on the wheel i wanna build a frame one day but i dont have materials to do it yet something i learnd from a retired racer is he filed every other tooth from the sprocket for less rolling resistence and drilled the center out of every bolt

KMEFA

Reaction score
good deal on the wheel i wanna build a frame one day but i dont have materials to do it yet something i learnd from a retired racer is he filed every other tooth from the sprocket for less rolling resistence and drilled the center out of every bolt
I do a lot of that ''ultra anal'' - shaving a few grams here ,, a couple of ozs. there,, stuff also.
Even cut & dress off the ends of bolts, if they are to long,, & if I can't find weird length replacements. lol
lot's of threads on bolts sticking out past the end of the nuts,, looks like $hit anyways.
Have built a bunch of show cars & bikes,, besides racing stuff ect….

It does add up though,, if you do enough of it.

The way it's currently looking with my Kart, all said & done,, ''including the 17+ lbs. of lead shot that I removed from the frame tubes'',,,
I'll have shed easily over 40lbs. off of it.
Am really thinking now,, both Karts @ around 100lbs. AUW ea. !

Here's a good one,,
Porsche used to actually even drill holes in their ignition keys on like the vintage Le Mans - 917K's. ''LOL''.

One other trick is to use grade 3 hardware ''nut's & bolts'' ect.,, rather than say, grade 8 stuff.
the grade 3 is lighter, & if it's not used on stress points ect.,, it will be just fine.
I' am pretty much using that on my Kart, except for king pin bolts & tie rod hardware.
Don't want to skimp on the steering. ;)

I

Added,,
Here is a ''beautiful'' pic. of a 917K.
My all time fav. race car.
''Way ahead of it's time'' for late 60's early 70's !
Top speed is ''still'' out of this world ,, & has a sound like no other .

9384048porsche-917k-1969-21.jpg

Last edited:

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
Haha yeah skip tooth sprockets aren’t uncommon on race karts, WMS makes some under the Tuck and Run product line. I might attempt some sneaky stuff like that on the Green Monster but I’ll have to be careful not to destroy sprockets...... cuz ahhh the engines probably gonna be a 15 HP 10K RPM monster....... shoot that was supposed to be a secret...... I guess you guys’ll find out soon enough what I’m talking about with my next YouTube video 😉