Manco ID and engine advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

bthompson224

New member
Messages
298
Reaction score
3
Location
DFW
Just picked up what I think is a Manco 390 with a Briggs flathead 8hp.
It has the TC and disc brakes. I had it idling yesterday, but would sputter and die when any throttle was applied. Also look at the throttle cable, I think there is a part missing.
 

Attachments

  • image1 (1).jpg
    image1 (1).jpg
    724.2 KB · Views: 13
  • image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    724.2 KB · Views: 14
  • image2 (1).jpg
    image2 (1).jpg
    744 KB · Views: 16
  • image2.jpg
    image2.jpg
    744 KB · Views: 13

bthompson224

New member
Messages
298
Reaction score
3
Location
DFW
More pics

Some more pics, sorry for the duplicates.
 

Attachments

  • image4.jpg
    image4.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 2
  • image3.jpg
    image3.jpg
    286.3 KB · Views: 8
  • image4 (1).jpg
    image4 (1).jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 5
  • image3 (1).jpg
    image3 (1).jpg
    286.3 KB · Views: 6

bthompson224

New member
Messages
298
Reaction score
3
Location
DFW
More pics, sorry about the duplicates.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_4239.jpg
    IMG_4239.jpg
    500.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_4240.jpg
    IMG_4240.jpg
    707.5 KB · Views: 13

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Messages
4,026
Reaction score
163
Location
Texas

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Messages
4,026
Reaction score
163
Location
Texas
There should be a return spring hooked on the intake runner, running to where the governor link attaches to the throttle shaft.
You can see it just to the right of my intake runner.
 

Attachments

  • P_20190115_161340.jpg
    P_20190115_161340.jpg
    223.8 KB · Views: 11

mckutzy

Well-known member
Messages
8,353
Reaction score
110
Location
bc, canada
I agree the carbs are cheap.... I have the same carb on a '53 #14.... The thing is really different then a typical carb...
The main way as I understand to screw this up, is trying to take out the main jet with an un modified screwdriver.... it stripps out easy... And of course its necessary to remove to get to the float ect apart and properly clean the thing...

Heres a vid on this motor and its carb layout...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGgW68BjXv8

This guy Zippo, has a bunch of stuff on his channel he goes into a ton of detail on these type of carbs.. this one in this vid is the same family... Yours(ours) is a 2 piece... there is a number of others on ours specific...
He's mainly a small tractor guy... but these motors were the typical powerplant for a bunch over the years...

https://www.youtube.com/user/ZippoVarga/videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5s0HUSA048&t=3s

---------- Post added at 10:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:05 AM ----------

OH ya..... the carbs from eBay and the Amazon are chinese... And in typical fashion... They are METRIC.....
So careful not to hog in that bolt thinking itll fit...Might need to get some that will fit if you go that route...
 

bthompson224

New member
Messages
298
Reaction score
3
Location
DFW
There should be a return spring hooked on the intake runner, running to where the governor link attaches to the throttle shaft.
You can see it just to the right of my intake runner.

Thanks! That a huge help. Exactly what I was looking for.

---------- Post added at 12:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:48 PM ----------

BTW, it looks like your throttle is stuck....

How so, moves freely back and forth.

I'm going to go the usual route, spark plug, new fuel, check for clogged air filter. I put some SeaFoam in it, it's sputtering and spitting and smoking, so something is happening. If that doesn't work, Amazon can deliver one to my door for $17. I did get it to rev higher after about 10 minutes of idling. I will say it has torque. I opened the throttle before starting and forgot to put it on blocks. It stood straight up and tried to climb the side of the house.

---------- Post added at 01:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:53 PM ----------

Screw it, for $25 delivered tomorrow, it was worth it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MP4V9RS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
 

mckutzy

Well-known member
Messages
8,353
Reaction score
110
Location
bc, canada
Thats a pretty darn good deal, I cant get a a deal like that here even with fees and conversion.......
Nice..
 

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Messages
4,026
Reaction score
163
Location
Texas
Not sure if it'll help, since it looks different, but if it helps, here's the pictures.
 

Attachments

  • 20190525_191858.jpg
    20190525_191858.jpg
    255.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 20190525_191919.jpg
    20190525_191919.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 3

Hellion

Murderator
Messages
9,190
Reaction score
4,160
The butterfly appears to be stuck open...
Oh wait, that's the missing throttle return spring. :roflol:

:oops:
Hey, uh, you're getting advice from the under 18 crowd so beware.
How old are you now JT, 13? :D


You were essentially correct with your guess. It's a large frame American Express style kart, sometimes called a Dingo (but you really can't go by the names) with a trailer hitch (which was sort of crossing over into utility/ATV territory).
Pick one:

385
386 FOX PRO I
388
389
390
392
393

Here's two more that had 'proper names':
Manco PowerSports Dingo 10GL-390U "EZ RIDER 2"
Manco PowerSports Dingo 12GL 392E "BANDIT 2"



EDIT: do any of those stickers on the floor pan tell you anything?
 
Last edited:

bthompson224

New member
Messages
298
Reaction score
3
Location
DFW
Not sure if it'll help, since it looks different, but if it helps, here's the pictures.

It does, thank you!

---------- Post added at 08:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:58 PM ----------

:oops:

Hey, uh, you're getting advice from the under 18 crowd so beware.
How old are you now JT, 13? :D

You're essentially correct with your guess. It's a large frame American Express style kart, sometimes called a Dingo (but you really can't go by the names) with a trailer hitch (which was sort of crossing over into utility/ATV territory):

385
386 FOX PRO I
388
389
390
392
393

Here's two more that had 'proper names':
Manco PowerSports Dingo 10GL-390U "EZ RIDER 2"
Manco PowerSports Dingo 12GL 392E "BANDIT 2"

Thanks. I thought the first 2 digits referenced the hp?

The only reason I thought it was a 390 was because of the trailer hitch.

After I get the previously referenced kit, I'll only have $175 into this thing. If I replace the front tires/wheels (bearing are shot), that will put me into the $350 range. Until I get it drivable, not sure I will know if it needs anything else. I think it's gonna need a new spring at the brake, too.

---------- Post added at 08:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:02 PM ----------

:oops:
Hey, uh, you're getting advice from the under 18 crowd so beware.
How old are you now JT, 13? :D
EDIT: do any of those stickers on the floor pan tell you anything?

Stickers are unreadable. And because they are young doesn't mean they are wrong. Those pics are very helpful.
 

Hellion

Murderator
Messages
9,190
Reaction score
4,160
Thanks. I thought the first 2 digits referenced the hp?

Are you assuming the engine is original to the kart?

The only reason I thought it was a 390 was because of the trailer hitch.

Didn't the previous owner know what it was? If not, why not? How come nobody knows what they have? :rolleyes:
That was a rhetorical question. :)

After I get the previously referenced kit, I'll only have $175 into this thing. If I replace the front tires/wheels (bearing are shot), that will put me into the $350 range. Until I get it drivable, not sure I will know if it needs anything else. I think it's gonna need a new spring at the brake, too.

FYI I wouldn't buy a cheap chinese "Briggs" carb off Fleabay or anywhere else unless it was a genuine B&S part or even better, NOS (New, Old Stock). Chinesium carbs are junk.

Get a rebuild kit (if needed) and fix it. Otherwise it may just need a good cleaning.

I love my Hazard Fraught Ultrasonic Cleaner--just big enough for small engine carbs.

And.... If it has a carburetor, quit feeding it gas with ethanol in it.

Look up your city and state here: https://www.pure-gas.org/
 

bthompson224

New member
Messages
298
Reaction score
3
Location
DFW
I don't think the PO had any idea at all, so you could be right about it not being original. Frankly, I had only 10 minutes to assess whether this was a good buy or not. I paid $150. I've seen 2 in the last week in similar condition go for $250 within a couple of hours. I took a chance. It started, the TC engaged, and the brakes stopped the tires from spinning. How well any of this actually works, dunno. But it told me they could be repaired instead of replaced. As to the cheap carb replacements, I haven't had an issue for years with the one on my yard tractor, and my tiller is the same. I properly maintain them, so no issues. That's from learning the hard way, hence the replacements. Might not last 20 years, but so what? The rebuild kit is about the same cost. I will keep the old carb and may rebuild, but the point is to get it running and enjoy.
 

Hellion

Murderator
Messages
9,190
Reaction score
4,160
The 8 HP engine is painted black like the original Manco ones, and if original to the kart like I'm thinking, I am forced to conclude it is a Dingo 388.

What's the date code on the engine?
It might be within 1 year+/- of the kart's manufacture date.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top