Manco ID and engine advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Messages
4,026
Reaction score
163
Location
Texas
Built August 24th, 1996 at manufacturing plant and assembly line "YD".
19 cubic inches, "0" basic design series, horizontal crankshaft, Flo-Jet carb, mechanical govenator, ball bearing, flange mounting, splash lube, and rewind starter.
It's basically a bigger version of my engine, so feel free to ask me if you have specific questions.
 

bthompson224

New member
Messages
298
Reaction score
3
Location
DFW
Built August 24th, 1996 at manufacturing plant and assembly line "YD".
19 cubic inches, "0" basic design series, horizontal crankshaft, Flo-Jet carb, mechanical govenator, ball bearing, flange mounting, splash lube, and rewind starter.
It's basically a bigger version of my engine, so feel free to ask me if you have specific questions.

Thanks, will do.
 

bthompson224

New member
Messages
298
Reaction score
3
Location
DFW
I think it has a special throttle cable. The actual cable seems to be built into the part that connects to the throttle linkage.

EDIT: It looks like the bolt head to hold the cable is broke off.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_4244.jpg
    IMG_4244.jpg
    254.7 KB · Views: 6

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Messages
4,026
Reaction score
163
Location
Texas
Yeah, mine is the same way, crimped onto a little sliding mechanism to actuate the throttle.
 

bthompson224

New member
Messages
298
Reaction score
3
Location
DFW
OH ya..... the carbs from eBay and the Amazon are chinese... And in typical fashion... They are METRIC.....
So careful not to hog in that bolt thinking itll fit...Might need to get some that will fit if you go that route...

This was dead on. Bolt was resisting a little and this popped in my head. Pulled it back apart and I think this is exactly correct. Headed to the hardware store now.
 

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Messages
4,026
Reaction score
163
Location
Texas
Believe it or not, I wish they also mad Chinese copies of the mid sized one piece updraft flo jet too(basically the same as mine).
That way I could do the dual carb setup that I've wanted to do for a while on my kart for cheap.
It would be really cool to see a dual carb single cylinder, and in effect it would have twice the flow!
Ah well, I'll just have to keep looking. *sigh*
 

mckutzy

Well-known member
Messages
8,353
Reaction score
110
Location
bc, canada
They make both yours and the OP's carb... I just got one of the 2 piece like the OP... Came from China... off of the Amazon... Take a look... relatively cheap too...
 

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Messages
4,026
Reaction score
163
Location
Texas
I only found like two of the same one piece carb. *sigh*
And they're all ~$75, whereas there's comparatively buttloads of two pieces.
Any real differences besides the number of pieces?
 

mckutzy

Well-known member
Messages
8,353
Reaction score
110
Location
bc, canada
How it fits with the air filter to your particular setup.... As stock of course....

It could be fitted as far as I know. With some fiddling....
 

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Messages
4,026
Reaction score
163
Location
Texas
How it fits with the air filter to your particular setup.... As stock of course....

It could be fitted as far as I know. With some fiddling....

I'll probably just end up getting one of the Chinese two pieces for the twin carb setup. Even though it'd mismatch, it fits with the overall redneck theme of the kart.
I have considered that it'd be a real headache tuning two different carbs though. :ack2:
 

bthompson224

New member
Messages
298
Reaction score
3
Location
DFW
Just to follow up in case this helps anyone, the pic on how the throttle cable attaches. Funky. Will try and start it this weekend at the latest.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_4300.jpg
    IMG_4300.jpg
    368.8 KB · Views: 7

bthompson224

New member
Messages
298
Reaction score
3
Location
DFW
Still need to make some adjustments to the carb and the brakes, but runs like a scalded ape.
 

bthompson224

New member
Messages
298
Reaction score
3
Location
DFW
Last pics.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_4305.jpg
    IMG_4305.jpg
    714.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4306.jpg
    IMG_4306.jpg
    670.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4307.jpg
    IMG_4307.jpg
    689.2 KB · Views: 2

bthompson224

New member
Messages
298
Reaction score
3
Location
DFW
I iied

Ok, really last pics.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_4313.jpg
    IMG_4313.jpg
    697.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_4314.jpg
    IMG_4314.jpg
    649 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4315.jpg
    IMG_4315.jpg
    610.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4316.jpg
    IMG_4316.jpg
    792.1 KB · Views: 6

mckutzy

Well-known member
Messages
8,353
Reaction score
110
Location
bc, canada
Looks pretty gnarly, low and big meaty turfs....
How does that carb setup workout?? sound good...
 

bthompson224

New member
Messages
298
Reaction score
3
Location
DFW
Looks pretty gnarly, low and big meaty turfs....
How does that carb setup workout?? sound good...

Sounds great, nice growl. Had to do a lot of fiddling to get the high side setup correctly, then back to the low side, then back. I think I got it worked out. Nice and smooth to WOT and no backfires when I let off.
 

mckutzy

Well-known member
Messages
8,353
Reaction score
110
Location
bc, canada
If you could it would be cool to hear it in a vid....

Been raining here so I can get my up and running... kinda jonesing
 

Hellion

Murderator
Messages
9,197
Reaction score
4,172
Hey, you "de-caged" it. :cool:

That's cool. No need for all that extra tubing and weight but set it aside if you ever resell it as it adds value, will appeal more to the purists and helicopter soccer moms, etc.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top