Manco American Express front steering question

cheap_thrills

Reaction score
Anybody with an American Express, care to drop a picture looking down over their front suspension? I just picked up this AE frame about 2 weeks ago, and started taking a closer look at it, and it appears it had been repair at one time but the frame's "caster" is different from side to side. One side sits a bit negative, and the other is nearly straight up and down. I have no problem cutting, correcting, and rewelding the frame. I'm just trying to find out which side is correct to go off of. Thanks everyone!
*UPDATE* there is a reinforcement plate that was welded under the RH side, but the LH side appears it has been ground on or cut on, at some point in time also.

Attachments

• comparison.jpg
    comparison.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
  • LH. side.jpg
    LH. side.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 12
  • RH side.jpg
    RH side.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 11

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
It's up to you which side you want to "fix". Zero caster(straight vertical) will make for lighter steering, but slightly less high speed stability. More caster angle equals more high speed stability, but heavier steering. Personally, I would change the other side to match the caster.
The side with zero caster would be the original side.

cheap_thrills

Reaction score
It's up to you which side you want to "fix". Zero caster(straight vertical) will make for lighter steering, but slightly less high speed stability. More caster angle equals more high speed stability, but heavier steering. Personally, I would change the other side to match the caster.
The side with zero caster would be the original side.
Thanks! I knew certain caster angles were applicable for different driving setups (relating more so to a car), but same concept to karts, I just couldn't recall how or why a kart would have either or. Meanwhile I was surfing the search bar on here, and found only 1 good pic so far of what I was looking for, and it appeared negative. However, I do like your point as far as which to "fix". This is going to be a wet yard sliding kart, so straight line speed stability is not of a concern. So... I think 0-degree it is! Thanks again. Going to get cutting :cornut:

cheap_thrills

Reaction score
That's a wrap! I actually ending up needing to cut and adjust both sides. Here comes an accuse now lol, but I left my speed glass at another garage, so I was left to weld everything up with a super dark non autodarkening lid...so needless to say I will not be showcasing any welds LOL:rolleyes: The LH side has some terrible negative camber, the RH positive, as you can see from the photos, and how they were riding on the garage floor. So, per my alignment machine (my eyes), I corrected the camber and set both to a slightly negative caster. While I was cutting I realigned the RH "pitman" (not sure what you'd consider it, but what the outer tie rod connects to),to move it back to being parallel with the inside of the tire. Next adjusted the tie rods accordingly, and done with steering. Finished it off by bolting up a spanking new GX160 I had laying around. Tomorrow afternoon, I will be taking her for a test drive. Stay tuned

Attachments

• LH - camber.jpg
    LH - camber.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
  • RH +Camber.jpg
    RH +Camber.jpg
    919.3 KB · Views: 10
  • finished.jpg
    finished.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 10

cheap_thrills

Reaction score
Took the AE out for its maiden voyage since steering repairs, and it performed nicely! Now I will be uninstalling the new GX to use for another project, and fixing my tankless GX160 with seat mounted tank to it next.

7thofa2nd

Reaction score
Anybody with an American Express, care to drop a picture looking down over their front suspension? I just picked up this AE frame about 2 weeks ago, and started taking a closer look at it, and it appears it had been repair at one time but the frame's "caster" is different from side to side. One side sits a bit negative, and the other is nearly straight up and down. I have no problem cutting, correcting, and rewelding the frame. I'm just trying to find out which side is correct to go off of. Thanks everyone!
*UPDATE* there is a reinforcement plate that was welded under the RH side, but the LH side appears it has been ground on or cut on, at some point in time also.

Do these images help?
1601414000871.png 1601414052582.png

Paul L. Brookman

Reaction score
I have one question regarding cutting. what kind of device of the jigsaw you have used for this purpose?

cheap_thrills

Reaction score
I have one question regarding cutting. what kind of device of the jigsaw you have used for this purpose?
Used an angle grinder with a thin 4-4-1/2" cut off disc. Worked great! I used a couple other various die grinders, and deburring tools to clean the surrounding areas up to weld (I have an 80 gal air compressor, and a collection of air tools). But I imagine you could use a reciprocating saw to make the cut as well. Go kart tubing is relatively thin..appx. 11 gauge or so.