Looking for a sprocket

Status
Not open for further replies.

landuse

Staff member
Reaction score
Landuse, you will probably see in my other thread about the quad, but I bought an engine that came with a sprocket.

Engine has a 6 tooth clutch and the sprocket will be 54 tooth. The tires have a diameter of just over 12 inches.

Judging by the online calculator, that will give me a top speed of 14mph and a 9.00 gear ratio (if that's what you were talking about earlier).

So yeah, not really fast...actually, pretty slow lol. But I'm hoping it will give me more low end torque to get up small hills; someone please tell me if I am completely wrong here and I will order some different gears.

Sounds good to me. Give it a go and see how it feels

Panhead5496

Reaction score
Landuse, the gearing was a fail! It didn't not want to move very well on flat ground. Let alone a slight hill, from a stop.

So, I am going to be looking into gearing and seeing what I can do to fix it.

landuse

Staff member
Reaction score
Landuse, the gearing was a fail! It didn't not want to move very well on flat ground. Let alone a slight hill, from a stop.

So, I am going to be looking into gearing and seeing what I can do to fix it.

You are going to have to gear a lot lower then. Bummer. It was worth a try. I would have thought a 9:1 would have been ok

Panhead5496

Reaction score
Yep, but no worries. I will keep trying out different combos. All part of the fun right ;)

So more teeth on the clutch to start with you think?

Panhead5496

Reaction score
Well, the 64t sprocket arrived yesterday. Actually worked better. I would start from a stop without revving like crazy, so that's good. I think a 70-72t sprocket would be perfect, but I can't find one.

Going to do more work on it this weekend.

Panhead5496

Reaction score
It's mainly a size issue. The way the sprocket is bolted on to the axle leaves very little room for error. Here is the one I ordered that works ok. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EFO9K8Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 the mounting holes have to be 34mm apart, and even then I have to drill them out a little bit larger to get it to line up exactly.

The chain size is T8F chain. It's what the 49cc engine sprocket uses.

If you can find me a T8F sprocket, 70t+, with the same mounting pattern you will be AWESOME!

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score

Panhead5496

Reaction score
Yes, it's a 3 hole pattern. The first link unfortunately won't line up correctly. The second link is what I already have.

However if I see it's a real problem in the future, I'll try that first link and drill it out! That was a nice find!

Status
Not open for further replies.