Looking for a sprocket

Status
Not open for further replies.

Panhead5496

Reaction score
Hey guys, trying to find a sprocket this size that will let me use 35 chain (going to be using it with a clutch and a 79cc predator).

Anybody know where I can find one?? The way the axle is set up there is no way to use a key and hex screw.

Edit** not sure why the pics are crooked...I made sure my phone was oriented the correct way when I took the pics!

Attachments

• IMG_3647.JPG
    IMG_3647.JPG
    101.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3649 (1).JPG
    IMG_3649 (1).JPG
    128.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3648.JPG
    IMG_3648.JPG
    126.7 KB · Views: 1

Joe-405

Enjoying New Projects
Reaction score
Will you post a pic or let us know what that sprocket came off of originally ?

Panhead5496

Reaction score
Sure thing: here is my thread with pics in the first post (scroll to the beginning; it takes you to the bottom of the page). http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php?p=515853#post515853

It's a Chinese brand quad...the axle is an odd set up where there is a metal "ring" (for lack of a better term) welded to it that has holes that line up with the above sprocket, that is bolted to it.

I've been looking and it's hard to find anything for it.

---------- Post added at 02:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:08 AM ----------

I just found this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/64T-T8F-Re...h=item41d2adbe9f:g:XMAAAOSwme1bqNj7:rk:7:pf:0 best I can tell the holes are the same distance apart. I measured the current sprocket with the pic and it appears the same size...only issue is it has WAY more teeth and will drag the ground.

Panhead5496

Reaction score
Nice find...that just might work!!

I'd have to drill out the center and then mark and drill to line up with the sprocket mount, but it could work if I did that.

HONEYBADGERFTW

Reaction score
What's the outside diameter?

35A18 is the sprocket I looked up. There's different companies that sell them in various outside diameters is why I asked.

Panhead5496

Reaction score
3.10" at the widest (79.1mm).

Interesting. Yeah the smaller diameter the better, as it might drag if it's too big.

As long as it uses 35 chain (or any popular minibike/gocart size is fine) it will be fine.

I can take that sprocket above to a shop near me and have them cut it so it's exact. Or I might just try to do it myself lol.

---------- Post added at 03:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:56 AM ----------

Well, I just thought of this...having an 11 or 12 tooth clutch with an 18 tooth sprocket (with 12" tires and say engine is at 3600rpm) is going to make me go about 85 mph, according to the online speed calculator. Whoops.

I guess I need to try and find a sprocket with way more teeth. I want more pulling hill power, not top speed! I'm going to run into the issue now of having enough clearance with a bigger sprocket I'm afraid.

Panhead5496

Reaction score

Excellent info. Thank you!

I run 420 chain on my Warrior, but it seems the clutches with a 5/8" size all use 35 chain, which is why I wanted to stay with that.

Cool. I will certainty check them out. :thumbsup:

landuse

Staff member
Reaction score
[/COLOR]Well, I just thought of this...having an 11 or 12 tooth clutch with an 18 tooth sprocket (with 12" tires and say engine is at 3600rpm) is going to make me go about 85 mph, according to the online speed calculator. Whoops.

Unless I am missing something here regarding the engine (or something else), you are SERIOUSLY wasting your time here with that type of ratio!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm not even slightly joking here. ESPECIALLY with a 79cc predator.

It will not work. No way in h3ll. Sorry

Panhead5496

Reaction score
I guess I need to try and find a sprocket with way more teeth. I want more pulling hill power, not top speed! I'm going to run into the issue now of having enough clearance with a bigger sprocket I'm afraid.

Unless I am missing something here regarding the engine (or something else), you are SERIOUSLY wasting your time here with that type of ratio!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm not even slightly joking here. ESPECIALLY with a 79cc predator.

It will not work. No way in h3ll. Sorry

:roflol: yeah I'm not that stupid lol, it would not likely even move under it's own weight. I did add to my comment when I did the original post so maybe you missed that (what I quoted above).

I found this website and played with some numbers: https://www.bmikarts.com/Go-Kart-Gear-Ratio-Speed-Calculator

I'm aiming for a top speed at about 20-25 mph or so. Hopefully can get this sprocket to work. https://www.ebay.com/itm/322316443585

Say 3600 max rpm, 60t axle sprocket with 11 tooth clutch, and about 12" tires gives me 23 mph, and that would be with the engine revving up to 3600 rpm. Probably won't go that high that much, so would be low 20s. Perfect speed for around my yard.

Now, the question is am I missing something with that set up? :p

landuse

Staff member
Reaction score
I see now :D I did indeed miss that

A 60T axle sprocket with a 11T clutch is 5.5:1. If you had a regular 212 thre wouldn't be a problem. With the engine being a 70cc, I am actually not too sure. It might be a stretch. Maybe see what the others say

Panhead5496

Reaction score
I see now :D I did indeed miss that

A 60T axle sprocket with a 11T clutch is 5.5:1. If you had a regular 212 thre wouldn't be a problem. With the engine being a 70cc, I am actually not too sure. It might be a stretch. Maybe see what the others say

All right, I have found the size sprocket that lines up with my axles mounting holes!! https://www.ebay.com/itm/26mm-T8F-5...m=232658701369&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

I guess now I need to figure out if I want a 79cc predator or a 50cc quad engine for my build. If I go predator I will have to get a 35 size chain clutch and have more gearing option, but have to drill an axle sprocket.

If I go the 50cc engine with the T8F chain, I can use that sprocket.

Decisions, decision...

landuse

Staff member
Reaction score
You also have to decide if the gearing you going for will be good enough for your engine. Smaller engines tend to need gearing that is a bit lower....just to get you going. I think it might be trial and error for you though

Panhead5496

Reaction score
You also have to decide if the gearing you going for will be good enough for your engine. Smaller engines tend to need gearing that is a bit lower....just to get you going. I think it might be trial and error for you though

True.

When you say lower, you mean a larger axle sprocket and smaller clutch sprocket or vice versa? I've always been a little confused with gearing ratios lol :p

landuse

Staff member
Reaction score
True.

When you say lower, you mean a larger axle sprocket and smaller clutch sprocket or vice versa? I've always been a little confused with gearing ratios lol :p

Yes. When you gear lower, you want a higher number in your gear ratio (eg. 8:1 vs 4:1). So a larger rear sprocket or smaller clutch sprocket would do it. Getting smaller diameter tyres will also have the same effect as lowering the gear ratio.

landuse

Staff member
Reaction score
Gotcha. That makes sense.

I'm thinking I'm going to go with this engine https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0716D7DX3/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?smid=A18W40S1KX1L2P&psc=1 and this sprocket https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EFO9K8Y/ref=ox_sc_act_title_6?smid=A2RLHK9JFURQ7Z&psc=1

That would give me a 4.57 ratio according to the chart I linked above.

That ration sounds like its going to be a bit too high for that small engine, but lets see how it handles first. What is the diameter of the tires again?

Panhead5496

Reaction score
Landuse, you will probably see in my other thread about the quad, but I bought an engine that came with a sprocket.

Engine has a 6 tooth clutch and the sprocket will be 54 tooth. The tires have a diameter of just over 12 inches.

Judging by the online calculator, that will give me a top speed of 14mph and a 9.00 gear ratio (if that's what you were talking about earlier).

So yeah, not really fast...actually, pretty slow lol. But I'm hoping it will give me more low end torque to get up small hills; someone please tell me if I am completely wrong here and I will order some different gears.

Status
Not open for further replies.