I guess this goes here, buggy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bwdeaton

Reaction score
It's not that crazy. I was never into ATV's or anything before I went to high school, but most people in my class had them, and I ended up getting into it pretty quick. Guess I'm still pretty impressionable lol. I just try to have fun, not that hard when i enjoy fixing things up for fun.

Bwdeaton

Reaction score
Here's some pics of mine. Just put on different front tires, the old ones were dry rotted. I still plan to repaint it, but it looks pretty decent still, just faded.

Hope to see yours soon?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jrgunn5150

Rudderless
Reaction score
That's cool! I'm hoping to get back over here tomorrow to check it out, one way or another, i've decided a buggy is where it's at for me anyway, so if not this one, there will be one in my future.

Hellion

Disc brakes are for cowards
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, the first dune buggies were just a stripped down Beetle using just the flat pan chassis but no body. Did enthusiasts later learn that combination was too heavy, not ideal or something and then fabricate the first sand rails?

Jrgunn5150: you seem to have several VW experts here at your disposal. I figure you could take photos when you get back there of all the parts included in the sale and bounce them off the forum for feedback & they'll be able to tell you what's missing (despite it "being all there").

Jrgunn5150

Rudderless
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, the first dune buggies were just a stripped down Beetle using just the flat pan chassis but no body. Did enthusiasts later learn that combination was too heavy, not ideal or something and then fabricate the first sand rails?

Jrgunn5150: you seem to have several VW experts here at your disposal. I figure you could take photos when you get back there of all the parts included in the sale and bounce them off the forum for feedback & they'll be able to tell you what's missing (despite it "being all there").

It's my understanding that the wheelbase was less than ideal, and the pan less rigid than a tube chassis.

I generally don't buy the first thing I look at when I get onto a new kick anyway, but there is a big buggy show coming up soon, so hopefully people there will accommodate my request to sit in their buggies so I can get an idea of fitment.

My main concern, is that at 6'5", I don't want my helmet sticking up past the cage, or very near it at all, since i will totally jump the thing lol.

Bwdeaton

Reaction score
Mine is tight for me if I sit in a seat with helmet on. I've actually been driving it with the driver seat out and sitting on the floor pan. I want to get some aluminum seats that are right on the floor. I'm 6'2". My rail is kind of smaller though. About 6'4" at the widest and 12'6" at the longest. About 5'5" to the tallest spot from the ground. 13" of ground clearance. There are bigger and smaller designs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jrgunn5150

Rudderless
Reaction score
Well, this clown decided to let me know Saturday he's "out of town" until Tuesday. Which I always take as, in English means "It's way worse than I said, and I have chickens living in it, and I need time to put it back to the condition it was in the pictures"

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
OK.....over 40 years ago...as a youngster...I watched a couple of guys build a dune buggy....in real time...maybe 3 hours from bare frame to finished. Small block V-8....the guy I talked to said : "Yeah...this gonna have a little bit more than your average dune buggy."

Back then....there were THOUSANDS of V Dub dune buggies....(they were even being commercially produced)....(along with custom vans!)

Jrgunn5150

Rudderless
Reaction score
OK.....over 40 years ago...as a youngster...I watched a couple of guys build a dune buggy....in real time...maybe 3 hours from bare frame to finished. Small block V-8....the guy I talked to said : "Yeah...this gonna have a little bit more than your average dune buggy."

Back then....there were THOUSANDS of V Dub dune buggies....(they were even being commercially produced)....(along with custom vans!)

I have a 5.3 Alluminum LS and a 6.0 iron block sitting around lol.

Hellion

Disc brakes are for cowards
Reaction score
Then BY GOLLY....YOU KIN BUILD A GOKART....:surrender:

That's the attraction. These things are slightly overgrown go karts; rear engine, rear wheel drive and stripped down to necessary parts only.

I'll still prefer a Meyer's Manx any day of the week...

Attachments

• 971887.jpg
    971887.jpg
    232.6 KB · Views: 7

Jrgunn5150

Rudderless
Reaction score
That's the attraction. These things are slightly overgrown go karts; rear engine, rear wheel drive and stripped down to necessary parts only.

As would I, however my GF is of the opinion that I would smash it in the woods lol.

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score

When I was a child...I wanted childish things....(minibike).... then as I grew into adolescence...I wanted manly things ...(a dune buggy)....and then as a man...I put away childish things....and now....as an old man man.....dadgummit! !!! I want both!

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
When I was a child...I wanted childish things....(minibike).... then as I grew into adolescence...I wanted manly things ...(a dune buggy)....and then as a man...I put away childish things....and now....as an old man man.....dadgummit! !!! I want both!
Ok Paul. lol

My old Boss had a new 4 seater buggy came with a corvette engine!
Then he had it rebuilt to 400HP. and that was to stay right with or slightly ahead of all his buddies. He said NOTA BUGGY, "Its my Sand Car"

Jrgunn5150

Rudderless
Reaction score
Ok Paul. lol

My old Boss had a new 4 seater buggy came with a corvette engine!
Then he had it rebuilt to 400HP. and that was to stay right with or slightly ahead of all his buddies. He said NOTA BUGGY, "Its my Sand Car"

I have to struggle not to GAB, I really do.

I have a 75 F100 under restoration, a 79 FJ40, a 79 C10, I want to build my V8 Trailblazer into a RBOR race truck, I have my 98 GMC tow/work truck, and my 07 FJ Cruiser. I also have a Hawk 250 Chinabike clone, and my RC collection I won't even get started on.

Eliminating a go kart was smart. Adding a buggy is not smart. Adding a buggy and GAB on it, would be suicide lol. I'm trying to K.I.S.S. :lolgoku:

Jrgunn5150

Rudderless
Reaction score
Just buy a yard Kart. 3.5 HP. Tons of Fun!
LOL K.I.S.S.:cornut:

I don't have a yard to run it in lol, so I had to haul my kart everywhere, or drive it on the street, which is obviously less than wise. A buggy can be driven, and fit's in my small garage.

Dfeigel71

Reaction score
Irgun, hit me up if you need help. I am about 40 mins from you and grew up with a father that built dune buggies for pro racing back in the 70s and 80s. He is gone but I took over his love of vws.

Jrgunn5150

Rudderless
Reaction score
Irgun, hit me up if you need help. I am about 40 mins from you and grew up with a father that built dune buggies for pro racing back in the 70s and 80s. He is gone but I took over his love of vws.

Thanks! I haven't found anything worthwhile yet, but I'm still looking, idly lol.

Bwdeaton

Reaction score

I've been tweaking a bit on mine, but I'm having issues with the timing, and I can't get the vacuum advance to work like it should. Maybe you could offer some help.

Status
Not open for further replies.