I guess this goes here, buggy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jrgunn5150

Rudderless
Reaction score
I've been away for a while..... I will assume you guys are talking about Cameron? 😂 I don't remember his screen name, just something to do with birds..... ?

There was a young man around with the screen name "FreeRunner", he had taken the simple act of fixing thing's that weren't broken to an art form. He also has quite the entertaining Youtube channel.

He had a knack for posting thing's that weren't totally accurate lol.

Bwdeaton

Reaction score
I've got one of these old rails, which came as a basket case for me as well. It was so easy to work on though, and only took an afternoon to install engine and get it running correctly. Mine was missing a couple parts. Mostly had to buy misc. hardware and a clutch but parts for these aircooleds are incredibly cheap. Good luck with your search.

Jrgunn5150

Rudderless
Reaction score
I've got one of these old rails, which came as a basket case for me as well. It was so easy to work on though, and only took an afternoon to install engine and get it running correctly. Mine was missing a couple parts. Mostly had to buy misc. hardware and a clutch but parts for these aircooleds are incredibly cheap. Good luck with your search.

Really? I'm hoping if I get the bulk of the parts I need in a big pile like this, I'll at least have the major bases covered and can go from there.

My fear is I'll get parts that don't work well together, or be missing some part that cost as much as the buggy itself to buy lol.

Bwdeaton

Reaction score
There are tons of new parts available for these cars, which are very common to see in some parts of the world. They made them in Mexico until the early 2000's so there is still a lot of them out there. I think my clutch was only $60 brand new including the pressure plate and throwout bearing. I also had to buy cv boots, and a header pipe because the engine I got came with a stock beetle exhaust system, which didn't fit right in the frame and I couldn't get the engine skid plate/ cage back on.

In Michigan you should be able to find plenty of people who have used parts for them because there are places they are used more often up there.

Jrgunn5150

Rudderless
Reaction score
There are tons of new parts available for these cars, which are very common to see in some parts of the world. They made them in Mexico until the early 2000's so there is still a lot of them out there. I think my clutch was only $60 brand new including the pressure plate and throwout bearing. I also had to buy cv boots, and a header pipe because the engine I got came with a stock beetle exhaust system, which didn't fit right in the frame and I couldn't get the engine skid plate/ cage back on.

In Michigan you should be able to find plenty of people who have used parts for them because there are places they are used more often up there.

Yeah, it's easy to find them, tons of them out there since everyone wants a longtravel rail for Silver Lake, I was surprised. I can buy a basket case like this for as much as a high end go kart lol.

Bwdeaton

Reaction score
Mines a little heavier than a regular sandrail and is more like what most people call a woods buggy. Has deep tread tires and is geared lower than a standard rail. Top speed in fourth is only about 50mph and it climbs like a tractor in first.

Jrgunn5150

Rudderless
Reaction score
Really? That's what I want, I keep seeing these guys slipping the poo out of their poor clutches and flying down trails at 20 mph. I prefer to creep over things rather than slamming over them lol.

Bwdeaton

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure its a 3 rib bus trans with a higher reduction ring and pinion. Wouldn't be ideal in a sand dune car because you would always be in 3rd or 4th

---------- Post added at 10:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:41 PM ----------

Also the engine size makes a difference in the gearing choice. mine has a 1641, but cars with bigger motors will run the same hills easily with lower reduction gearing, and go faster too.

Jrgunn5150

Rudderless
Reaction score
I'm not interested even a little bit in ever going to Silver Lake again in my life lol.

Bwdeaton

Reaction score
For woods riding, mine works great. I believe it has a 5.38 to 1 ring and pinion, with 30 inch tires.

Whats the deal with Silver lake? I've never been dune riding, but would try it some time if I had the opportunity.

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
Bird Fanatic... but Nope! brobdingnagian means really big of huge size; gigantic; tremendous. an inhabitant of Brobdingnag. a being of tremendous size; giant.
Taken From Swifts "Gullivers Travels"

Jrgunn5150

Rudderless
Reaction score
For woods riding, mine works great. I believe it has a 5.38 to 1 ring and pinion, with 30 inch tires.

Whats the deal with Silver lake? I've never been dune riding, but would try it some time if I had the opportunity.

It's just not my thing, it's sand, you drive on it, other people drive around you. There's no challenge or anything, if it starts to dig, lift, and reverse lol.

I prefer offroad parks and wood's trails, I like more technical wheeling. It's the same story with mud, throttle down, hope for the best lol. No real challange.

I have an FJ Cruiser and a Trailblazer I wheel, but with them I need to worry about body damage. A buggy I can tool around in on back roads and explore and just screw around in, and if I bounce it off a tree, no big deal. No windows to break or doors to jam.

Did your trans come low geared like that?

Bwdeaton

Reaction score
It's just not my thing, it's sand, you drive on it, other people drive around you. There's no challenge or anything, if it starts to dig, lift, and reverse lol.

I could see how it would be boring pretty quick, I'll still give sand riding a try sometime.

I prefer offroad parks and wood's trails, I like more technical wheeling. It's the same story with mud, throttle down, hope for the best lol. No real challange.

Most of my riding is trails and woods too, and I mostly avoid mud if possible. I ride a couple places in Kentucky and Indiana with cool trails.

I have an FJ Cruiser and a Trailblazer I wheel, but with them I need to worry about body damage. A buggy I can tool around in on back roads and explore and just screw around in, and if I bounce it off a tree, no big deal. No windows to break or doors to jam.

I mostly ride quads, but have an old 4x4 SUV I use as a beater trail rider. It is missing a window, and the doors have been caved in and broken door handles, but I only gave $500 for it so I'm not too worried about damage, as long as it runs. The sandrail hasn't been on a trip yet. Still need to finish a couple things and put on some better front tires.

Did your trans come low geared like that?

Yes. I didn't know anything about these VW's before I got it, so I wouldn't have even been able to know what to ask the seller. I just got a good deal and didn't want to pass it up.

Jrgunn5150

Rudderless
Reaction score
I recommend going if you get the opportunity. There's always alot of really neat thing's to see up there, plus, who knows when the tree hugger's will find some spotted squirrel out there that needs saving lol.

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
I recommend going if you get the opportunity. There's always alot of really neat thing's to see up there, plus, who knows when the tree hugger's will find some spotted squirrel out there that needs saving lol.
They closed Half of the desert out here to save the Desert Tortoise!
Then closed huge areas of the open half to try and save "Milkweed"!!!
That schnit grows everywhere!
So yeah go while you can!

Bwdeaton

Reaction score
I don't really know anyone who goes sand riding, It's not really common for people in southwest Ohio to go to the dunes.

Jrgunn5150

Rudderless
Reaction score
I don't really know anyone who goes sand riding, It's not really common for people in southwest Ohio to go to the dunes.

I went to a family reunion over the weekend and their neighbor had like four rails, so I wandered over and talked with him because he seemed more interesting than my GF's family lol. That's how all this really got started, this was in Lima. He had just gotten back from Silver Lake and seemed shocked that I didn't have much interest in going myself lol.

Bwdeaton

Reaction score
I went to a family reunion over the weekend and their neighbor had like four rails, so I wandered over and talked with him because he seemed more interesting than my GF's family lol. That's how all this really got started, this was in Lima. He had just gotten back from Silver Lake and seemed shocked that I didn't have much interest in going myself lol.

So you're already looking to buy a buggy just a few days after talking to someone about them? Sounds like one of the ideas I'd get. I'll just randomly decide I want to do something or buy something and then get hyped up about it for a while. I'm looking to sell some stuff so I can buy a crazy expensive 4 wheeler right now lol.

Jrgunn5150

Rudderless
Reaction score
So you're already looking to buy a buggy just a few days after talking to someone about them? Sounds like one of the ideas I'd get. I'll just randomly decide I want to do something or buy something and then get hyped up about it for a while. I'm looking to sell some stuff so I can buy a crazy expensive 4 wheeler right now lol.

When you say it like that it makes me sound crazy lol.

It doesn't help that I put my 420cc motor up for sale as "best offer" and some dude gave me 300 bucks for it. :roflol: That's halfway to buying a buggy.

Status
Not open for further replies.