I guess this goes here, buggy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dfeigel71

Reaction score
Here is a link to some great resources that might interest you and also guide you on getting the timing set.

The link lists all kinds of topics covering the VW engines. All the sub topics available on the site listed in alphabetical order. If you scroll down to the T section you will find a lot about timing the engine. I would suggest reading up on all of it when you get a chance.

I can help narrow things down more once I know what distributor you have, but for the most part, you want to try and time the engine to run between 28 and 32 degrees of advancement at 3500 rpms. Once set you will probably have to re-adjust your idle at your carb since your timing at idle will be changed. Every engine is a little different on where it falls at idle once you set the timing for max advance.

If you don't have a timing light, I would suggest picking one up as they are fairly affordable and very nice to have. Part of your typical upkeep on these motors should be checking the timing periodically. Also, if you are still running points, I would suggest changing over to an electronic ignition. They save you a lot of headache in the long run and can be picked up for a fair price. Let me know if you want to go this route and I will help you find one that works for your setup.

http://www.vw-resource.com/mihov_index.html#W

The second link is

Bwdeaton

Reaction score
I have a timing light. I will look into electronic ignition for it, but it's not a priority because I have lots of other stuff to fix now. I've installed a pertronix ignition on my 70 mustang and it wasn't hard.
I couldn't figure out the vacuum lines for sure. there is only one hookup on the distributor, but the carb has 2.

Flyinhillbilly

The great cornholio
Reaction score
That's the attraction. These things are slightly overgrown go karts; rear engine, rear wheel drive and stripped down to necessary parts only.

I'll still prefer a Meyer's Manx any day of the week...

My brother and I tried to use one of those bodies as a boat when we were kids. As far as I know it's still at the bottom of that pond.

Hellion

Disc brakes are for cowards
Reaction score
My brother and I tried to use one of those bodies as a boat when we were kids. As far as I know it's still at the bottom of that pond.

You better go fish it out, might be worth something. Might be worth considerably more if it's a genuine Manx. Fiberglass probably does really well submerged for decades, unlike leaving it out in the sunlight.

Better yet, tell me where it is (or was). :wai:

Jrgunn5150

Rudderless
Reaction score
I still have done nothing on the buggy front, although I did randomly purchase a fourwheeler. I really shouldn't be an adult.

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
I still have done nothing on the buggy front, although I did randomly purchase a fourwheeler. I really shouldn't be an adult.

That is what wives are for. If she cant keep you in line...
She should not be an adult! It is never our Fault!:roflol:

Jrgunn5150

Rudderless
Reaction score
That is what wives are for. If she cant keep you in line...
She should not be an adult! It is never our Fault!:roflol:

She's hopelessly outgunned lol. You should have seen the conversation when I bought that Powerland 420 on Ebay lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.