I am new to karts, and I need your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

izzy_real

Izzy
Messages
14
Reaction score
4
Location
Bristol, Va
I picked up this kart from a buddy of mine, and I want to fix the breaks, and get this going. It has a Predator 212cc engine, Airheart brakes, and a Comet torque converter.

It looks to me like the brake disc is painted. Also, the pads are shot. I'm going to attempt to add photos.
 

Attachments

  • Brake Caliper.jpg
    Brake Caliper.jpg
    367.4 KB · Views: 6
  • Disc.jpg
    Disc.jpg
    421.3 KB · Views: 8
  • Frame rear.jpg
    Frame rear.jpg
    429.5 KB · Views: 10

izzy_real

Izzy
Messages
14
Reaction score
4
Location
Bristol, Va
More pictures

Here are some pictures of the frame and rear axles.
 

Attachments

  • Left Side Fram and disc.jpg
    Left Side Fram and disc.jpg
    483.1 KB · Views: 8
  • Rear Axel Right.jpg
    Rear Axel Right.jpg
    337.9 KB · Views: 5
  • Rear Right.jpg
    Rear Right.jpg
    442.5 KB · Views: 7

izzy_real

Izzy
Messages
14
Reaction score
4
Location
Bristol, Va
More Pics

Here are some torque convert pics, brake cables that are rusty, and the adjustment bolt.
 

Attachments

  • Brake Adjustment.jpg
    Brake Adjustment.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 6
  • Rusty Brake Cable.jpg
    Rusty Brake Cable.jpg
    449.7 KB · Views: 6
  • Torque Convert.jpg
    Torque Convert.jpg
    291 KB · Views: 6
  • Engine.jpg
    Engine.jpg
    349 KB · Views: 3
  • Comet Torque.jpg
    Comet Torque.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 4

itsid

Moderator
Staff member
Messages
11,563
Reaction score
251
Location
Ruhrpott [Germany]
Hi welcome..
looks like you have a nice go kart there..
it surely needs some love and elbow grease;

the brakes and the Torque Converter both need thorough attention
other than that I'm confident that you'll have tons of fun.

I mean a dual airheart disc brake and an original Comet differential as well as a Comet TC..
someone spend some money back then...

what do you need help with?
We can talk you through nearly everything.
Just ask.

'sid
 

itsid

Moderator
Staff member
Messages
11,563
Reaction score
251
Location
Ruhrpott [Germany]
Oh yes it'll hop...

I can tell that your torque converter does need your attention!
even if the internals are not worn out or stuck by now (I think they are) the rust on the sheaves will eat through your belt very quickly.
(and belts are not cheap...)

Clean it, remove all rust, and polish the sheaves as smooth as possible (no need for a mirror finish, but it wouldn't harm either)
then since you already have it apart..
drylube the internals (after some good cleaning) of the driver unit (the one that's fixed to the engine)
make sure to NOT ever put lube on the sheaves themselves.

And judging by the amount of rust...
the carb will likely be treated similarly.. so it might use some cleaning as well.
Then your forward motion will be much more reliable and pleasant.

Next, take care of your breaks (actually do so, BEFORE you enjoy the newly improved forward momentum ;))
remove all the paint that sits on the actual disc (where the caliper clamps down)
personally I'd remove all of it, but if that's decorative paint you like.. no reason to get rid of it.
the brake pads however need a clean surface to grip.

The pads are available nearly everywhere.
but you need to check the number on the calipers to find the exact matching ones (there are three different styles.. circular, D shape or well.. flats on both sides of the circle
which I believe is the one you'll need..
these:
https://cometkartsales.com/Hurst-Airheart-3000-1006-Mechanical-Brake-Caliper-Replacement-Pad.html
or
http://www.mfgsupply.com/4-10191.html

I can't tell for sure, so check the one's installed first and take measurements (diameter) as well to be sure.

Then make sure the caliper itself moves freely in the retainer (that C bracket that's fixed to the frame)
it MUST float in there to provide enough stopping power.

check the return springs so you don't wear the pads down whilst driving, and you should be set.

'sid
 

izzy_real

Izzy
Messages
14
Reaction score
4
Location
Bristol, Va
Sid, you ROCK!!! I'm gonna start tomorrow, I hope I can keep you friendship through this project. You are a true gentlemen and a scholar!
 

itsid

Moderator
Staff member
Messages
11,563
Reaction score
251
Location
Ruhrpott [Germany]
Well Izzy,
as long as you need some help with a Go Kart, be sure you will have somebody on your side.
Dozens of members are here to provide all the information you'll need;
I'm just one of them ;)

Keep asking and be patient sometimes (we're not always able to reply within an hour ;))
Take a look at my location for example, we are indeed world wide,
and sometimes we are asleep when you are not :D

'sid
[EDIT]
Don't listen to this machinist.. he just recently developed a nasty addiction, so he doesn't know what he's talking about :lolgoku:
 

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Messages
12,461
Reaction score
70
Location
White Settlement Texas
Judging by pic #4....you need to fix your LAWNMOWER first....:lolgoku:

Just messing with you....Welcome to the forum!

OOPS! Ummmmm.....yeah....ummm...guess you've actually been a member here awhile....(Slaps forehead with frying pan!!!!)
 

izzy_real

Izzy
Messages
14
Reaction score
4
Location
Bristol, Va
My favorite part of this forum so far is how you guys raz each other! I was planning to build a lawnmower, err, I mean, kart ;) but ran out of time, then this one was given to me. It's 600am where I am, and I'm off work by noon today, so I'm gonna tear into it. I think I wanna get new tires, these look a little dry.
 

izzy_real

Izzy
Messages
14
Reaction score
4
Location
Bristol, Va
Good morning, afternoon, and evening! I hope I haven't been long forgotten!

I ordered a tool to remove the hub assemble from the axle. The right side hub was badly rusted and wouldn't come off. My tool badly scarred the axle as you'll see in the photo. I need to remove the brake disc to remove the other side of the disc brakes, after searching the internet to no avail, I decided to ask the gurus of karts, you!

As always, thank you for helping me along this journey.

izzy
 

Attachments

  • Brake Disc Back.jpg
    Brake Disc Back.jpg
    289.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Brake Disc Front.jpg
    Brake Disc Front.jpg
    222.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Brake Disc.jpg
    Brake Disc.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Disc.jpg
    Disc.jpg
    421.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Hub Damage.jpg
    Hub Damage.jpg
    225.8 KB · Views: 2

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Messages
9,358
Reaction score
94
Location
COMFORT, TEXAS
Just let all that soak, in "PB Blaster" for a few DAYS. Then it will come off.
As far as the Axle.. No biggie. Just grind or sand that smooth, You will be fine.
 

izzy_real

Izzy
Messages
14
Reaction score
4
Location
Bristol, Va
Hey, Chancer! Thank you for chiming in and helping me out!

The Silver and Blue kart is awesome!

I'm heading out for a refill on PB Blaster, and I'm gonna soak it as you said, sir.

Thanks again,

izzy
 

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Messages
9,358
Reaction score
94
Location
COMFORT, TEXAS
No Problem.
On the PB Blaster and "Days". I was just parroting Another member From earlier this week.

I just know PB blaster is a penetrant oil, WD40 is NOT! :)
 

izzy_real

Izzy
Messages
14
Reaction score
4
Location
Bristol, Va
Hey landuse, I was looking through your build last night after I posted this question, you're very skilled in this hobby!

Poboy, I've not tried WD-40 Specialist Penetrating Oil, I'm gonna look at that today..thank you for the heads up!
 

landuse

Moderator
Staff member
Messages
18,797
Reaction score
594
Location
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
Hey landuse, I was looking through your build last night after I posted this question, you're very skilled in this hobby!

Poboy, I've not tried WD-40 Specialist Penetrating Oil, I'm gonna look at that today..thank you for the heads up!

Thank you, but most of the members here are far better than I am. I learn new things every day
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top