I am new to karts, and I need your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

izzy_real

Izzy
Messages
14
Reaction score
4
Location
Bristol, Va
So the discs have soaked and soaked, I'm going to let them soak another three or four days (because of work mostly! I spray them every night :thumbsup: ) But, I know they won't just slide off, do I push this pin out? Toward the engine? I'm not sure how I would get behind the disc to hammer it out. OR, do I do something else? :huh:

In this pic, you can see the pin very well.
 

Attachments

  • Brake Disc Front.jpg
    Brake Disc Front.jpg
    222.1 KB · Views: 2

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Messages
9,358
Reaction score
94
Location
COMFORT, TEXAS
In a normal situation the Disc would slide of the "pin" (actually called a Key)
In the past I have used a small allan wrench to push it out.
Then you can get the Disc to spin on the axle to loosen up and it should come off.
 

itsid

Moderator
Staff member
Messages
11,563
Reaction score
251
Location
Ruhrpott [Germany]
what pin? you mean the key?

that key can as well stay in place.. just completely remove (to be sure they're loose) the two grub screws..
(you can thread them back in by hand a turn or two to remember where you put them later on ;))

but make sure they're loose.. if you think the key has coldwelded itself to the axle and disc, then yes... whack it until it moves (either way is fine)
if you can remove it completely.. that'd be nice (it'd give you the chance of rotating the disc while keeping the axle fixed...
that could rattle some rust and paint loose as well ;)

if you can't; get a box cutter and scratch away some of the rust and paint along the seam...
it also help to induce some heat and force
(i.e. take the propane torrch and carefully heat the hub of the disc)
as soon as that's certainly a few degrees hotter than the axle itself get a piece of scrap wood hold it against the hub face right on the axle, and give it a whack with a hammer...
not too violent (you don't want to slip and bend anything ;))

then some more penetrating oil and back to start...
once you can move the disc ever so slightly..
you can take some sanding paper and clean the axle in front of the disc to help it slide off.

'sid
 

izzy_real

Izzy
Messages
14
Reaction score
4
Location
Bristol, Va
There is so much help here. I'm on it, I can't wait to get this thing running! If I don't, I'll disappoint my neighbor's kids!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top