How to fix your shaft

jmaack

Reaction score
Like in a Piranha hydraulic bar and rod shear? Think I'm gonna be sick...................
yep basically sheared it with bar perpendicular to bed. I'll have to get a pic tomorrow and post. It's great lmao.This is also a nail to knuckle cut.

Master Hack

Reaction score
The moral of the story , keep yer apendages away from spinny things! On the positive side the spinny thing can inflict damage in fractions of a second. Done and over with. It take the brain a bit longer to process what happened. No long drawn out torture, that comes later.
What’s the capacity of the spinny thing in the background?

Last edited:

jmaack

Reaction score
The moral of the story , keep yer apendages away from spinny things! On the positive side the spinny thing can inflict damage in fractions of a second. Done and over with. It take the brain a bit longer to process what happened. No long drawn out torture, that comes later.
What’s the capacity of the spinny thing in the background?
48" iirc. There is a larger one that does up to 64" diameter.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Looks like a winner to me! Except for the weld on the shaft. Please tell me it is bird poop. Machinists know better than that!

Master Hack

Reaction score
Damn, tough crowd!
Salvage part from scrapped machine. Nice 1” shaft with a flange on it. Unfortunately when they (son in laws work) lost the set screw they welded the key in as not to have it come out. Free, so i cleaned it up and drilled a new hole pattern in the flange turned it little and repurposed it. I‘m all about free. If l had to buy new material for this junk l wouldn’t be doing it!

Last edited:

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Oh, I have to bust your chops! I actually figured there was a good reason for it. Waiting to see how it all works out.

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Looks like there's a couple of slightly oversized washers on the shaft, oversized enough not to need a notch for the keystock. Any concerns about slop or imbalance at high rpm there?

Master Hack

Reaction score
You guys don’t miss a thing!
Those are the spacers that came with the TC. I used them to measure the misalignment of the parts. Then anjusted the spacers accordingly. They are gone now.
I guess l need to clean up the stuff in my pics B4 posting.

D324AB59-9611-4FEF-94C6-2FDC7270D36E.jpeg

gmotz

Reaction score
oh yeah i'm definitely stealing that idea!

i was on the fence about doing something like this, i've got a polaris four wheeler that i want to repower with a clone, the plan would be to try to use the OEM drive pulley which has a very long strange taper shaft i would have to turn. I was wondering how it would handle an overhung load, or if the shaft would loosen up.

I didn't see you mention it, was there a fit clearance you were shooting for on the shaft?

Master Hack

Reaction score
oh yeah i'm definitely stealing that idea!
Resorting to theft is not necessary, the idea is free for the taking. But if you would like to pay a royalty, I can make arrangements....
I tried for and hit a .0005 inch interference fit on the shaft. The overhanging load has not been a problem on other shafts I have done this to. It helps to have a fairly straight shaft that the set screws can bite into. If in doubt put some #262 (red) hot sauce on the shaft and let it set up then apply blue hot sauce to the set screws. (I can already hear the screams) Be sure you don't want take the shaft off for any reason if you used red hot sauce, It is semi permanent. Contrary to popular belief it can be removed but it takes a lot of heat.

Willie1

Reaction score
Got a witness................
Not by the spinny thing, but between a Yamaha 360's chain and sprocket at full throttle's close enough. Clipped off where the nail ends, only 15 years old, so 3 more years left of bone growth gave it the extra length that grew back. My E.T. finger...............Ouuuch.
Note: See how the fingerprint ends up full around on top of the finger now?
Ya'll are rookies when it comes to sticking your paw in a spinnie thing . . . And yes, this is an actual picture of my hand.

Attachments

• Rookies 2.jpg
    Rookies 2.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 5

Master Hack

Reaction score
That's an awesome hack!
There are 5 different grinders and they all require a different spanner. A couple of different other uses and l forgot what l originally made it for, it’s been around for 20 years or so.

Willie maybe you could host a webinar on sticking the hand in the spinny thing?
we could all use some pointers.