How to fix your shaft

Master Hack

Reaction score
If your shaft has been damaged, hacked or just isn’t as long as it should be, get your mind out of the gutter and follow along.
the shaft on my lttle Briggs motor was all of the above, so l wittled out this little fix.
B86151B0-A4A6-4918-A037-8E14EADB7B07.jpeg

lt looks like this on the Briggs.
7EB4592E-8496-4BE5-AA24-FD34C8E6B14C.jpeg

tomorrow l’ll make some spacers and bolt the #30 TC and get everything lined up. Stay tuned!

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
How about a pic of the shaft damage? Showing if it allows the adapter to sit perfectly in line. I'm assuming that's 3 setscrews in the adapter to pin it down to a piece of keystock on the Briggs. Is there a keyway in the adapter?

Master Hack

Reaction score
Well, l’ll get pics tomorrow. The motor is a $10 garage sale find. it runs perfectly, but it was a pump motor in its pervious life - threaded shaft. The threads were hacked and someone tried to make a keyway with a stone chisel, maybe it was a dremel, whatever. It was pretty sad. I’ve made many extentions like that before and they work well.
stay tuned, l’ll get more detailed tomorrow.

Master Hack

Reaction score
How about a pic of the shaft damage? Showing if it allows the adapter to sit perfectly in line.
Why does this feel like a tech inspection?
The shaft is concentric and has only about .0005 runout.
The three set screws go into blind holes drilled .125 into the damaged shaft, and are installed with blue hot sauce.
As for pics of the damaged shaft, use your imagination. The adaptor/extension is on there with a .0005 interference fit. Im not fighting it off.
And yes l can work in fractions of a thousanth.
Waiting on approval before proceeding!😳026DF869-D807-46AF-977C-2E5C27414BCB.jpeg

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Call it bottomless curiosity on my part. Wondered if it was tight enough of a fit to preclude the possibility of wobbling when turning.
BTW, smart to use removeable (blue) hot sauce, so that sidecover can come off later if needed.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
I got to say, you don’t need my approval. You are light years ahead of me. I have an old South Bend 36” lathe I barely know how to turn on compared to you.

karl

Reaction score
Repair looks great but what's the end goal? Its too wide for a minibike,
and only enough power for a light kids kart on flat ground. You were saying
the big block + 40 series did not accelerate fast enough.

But at least being a pump motor, it has ball bearing support on the pto side,
to help with the force on the crankshaft so far out. Should work fine.

Master Hack

Reaction score
Well, a quick bio: l’m a cheap f**k! Retired and on a fixed income until the current infestation in DC broke it. ( trying real hard to avoid my political rant) The fun for me is making this stuff out of junk, scrap metal and discarded parts. I suffer from a disorder where l can look at something and see other uses for it, its called junkitis. The wife insists its hoarding.
To clarify, there are 3 kart projects in the shop now:
#1- the little red kart
#2- the buggy
#3- the naughtagator.
The buggy is the one that l was looking to decrease the gearing on. (Numericaly higher)
The subject of this thread is #3, the Naughtagator. The Naughtagator is my version of a John Deere Gator, but its not. It is also the subject of the failed electric motor project in the PWM thread.
Think small flat bed truck without a cab. It will be used to haul firewood, tools ang misc crap around the “ranch”.
It’s powered by this little 3hp Briggs pump motor through 24:1 gearing. I’m looking for about 7 Mph tops. (6.5 hp chinese clone on standby)
So in keeping to my MO, l rescued this motor from a trip to the scrapper. lf this little POS works as expected the total investment will be about $125.
l hope that explains my disorder! My nurse is here with my pills and tin foil hat…..ED787495-CACB-44AC-947D-0918109D1F1D.jpeg

Last edited:

karl

Reaction score
Ahhh Got it. Nothing wrong with running watcha brung, now its time for your medication mr. davidson

Anywho from my experience as a kid motor swapping a riding mower with a 3hp briggs,
you are gonna want least 5hp to get near 7mph with a load. But I hope it works out!

Master Hack

Reaction score
Ahhh Got it. Nothing wrong with running watcha brung, now its time for your medication mr. davidson

Anywho from my experience as a kid motor swapping a riding mower with a 3hp briggs,
you are gonna want least 5hp to get near 7mph with a load. But I hope it works out!
Yer probably right, but I'll try. Top speed is unimportant. The figure quoted was based on real quick and loose math. The ground is pretty flat and the loads will be only a couple hundred pounds at most, but I've had bigger failures, bigger motor on standby and the little one will get repurposed into something else. Gas powered Sturgeon reel?

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
It really does too!
Got a witness................
Not by the spinny thing, but between a Yamaha 360's chain and sprocket at full throttle's close enough. Clipped off where the nail ends, only 15 years old, so 3 more years left of bone growth gave it the extra length that grew back. My E.T. finger...............Ouuuch.
Note: See how the fingerprint ends up full around on top of the finger now?

Attachments

• IMG_20221025_122530.jpg
    IMG_20221025_122530.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 4

jmaack

Reaction score
medium sized spinnie thing at work. See large aluminum block in foreground? That and 2 bolts are for tightening flanges. A guy running the smaller 6 inch lathe wasn't laying attention and his middle finger still looks like pac man. Pretty gnarley.got stuck between bed and bar basically split it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220923-163809_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220923-163809_Gallery.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 11